The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Haselblad to Nikon

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes it makes it much more efficient when your shooting and using playback. I also setup along with Jack two different shooting modes regular operation than one called landscape which locks up mirror, sets a delay of 3 seconds and that works really nice with live view as well. Whats nice is I hit the info button twice and can change that on the fly between the two modes of operations.

Jeffg53

On the subject of mirror lockup, I have discovered two methods but not what I want. What I would like is to be able to have the mirror up, and then shoot when I want. Timing wave action is the challenge. As I understand it, I can use mirror up mode but it will take a shot about thirty seconds after you press the shutter, if you don't do so before. The other way is to set it to raise the mirror, wait two seconds and then shoot. As far as I can see, it's not possible to raise the mirror and then shoot when I want.

M

mjr

Jeff, I have a Hahnel Giga T Pro II wireless remote which is very good, I compose, press for mirror up and then can press again to take a shot whenever I want, to be honest I've never left it as long as 30 seconds so I have no idea if the shutter will fire on its own at that point. Might be worth a look, they're very good for the price.

Mat

Jeffg53

Mat, if you are in mirror up mode, it will fire after 30 seconds. Are you doing something different?

My problem is that, with seascapes, I time my exposure for the incoming waves. There is a world of difference between good waves and bad, so I can sometimes wait minutes for the right sequence.

With a Hasselblad, both film and digital, you can put the mirror up and wait. I'd like to be able to do that with the Nikon. I can live with a delay but I'd really prefer the same control as the H.

M

mjr

What the remote does is allow you to fire when you want, 1 press to lock up and 1 press to take the shot. I was photographing some swans the other day, I set up and as they looked like they were getting ready to move I pressed once and locked up mirror, then as they came towards me I triggered the shot. Once you're using the remote you are overriding the camera, like I said though, not sure what happens after 30 seconds, I'll try it this morning.

As Carsten says, if you're in live view the mirror is up, not sure if that works for you but you can trigger your shot anytime, you'd still either need a remote or have a delay on the shutter press. Hope that makes sense!

Mat

M

mjr

Jeff, what are you using at the moment to release the shutter?

Mat

Jeffg53

Thanks Carsten and Mat, liveview works but I'm hoping to improve on that. I'm currently using a cheapo Hahnel release but would happily buy another if it gives me control of mirror up

RVB

Mat, if you are in mirror up mode, it will fire after 30 seconds. Are you doing something different?

My problem is that, with seascapes, I time my exposure for the incoming waves. There is a world of difference between good waves and bad, so I can sometimes wait minutes for the right sequence.

With a Hasselblad, both film and digital, you can put the mirror up and wait. I'd like to be able to do that with the Nikon. I can live with a delay but I'd really prefer the same control as the H.
Jeff,are you sure it's set to MUP and not timer? If i focus mine and then flip up the mirror I can shoot at any point with no delay..

Rob

M

mjr

Jeff, if you set the shooting mode control dial round to MUP then first press of the shutter raises is, second press of the shutter takes the shot. You can use the remote to trigger both of these shutter presses, no problem. At the moment you are pressing once, mirror raises and then after 30 seconds takes a shot, you're just missing pressing the shutter a second time.

I'll just try now and see if there is still the same 30 second limit with the remote.

Mat