The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16-18 mm for interiors

natale

Hello to everybody. (hope writing in the right section)

I'm looking for a decent wide (on my d90) for architectural interiors.

Giving a look on web, 18 and 20 mm seems to present quite distortion.

TS-E 17mm (canon) would be ideal (straight lines), except for being Canon and its price.

Some opinions about? Thanks!

jvora

Hello Natale :

When I was using the DX Format, I used the Nikon 12-24 for Arch/Hotel/Resorts assignments and was overall pleased with the results. I often needed to go all the way down to 12mm to gain the entire views specially in smaller spaces. For the DX, 18/20mm may not be wide enough.

As for distortions, an Imaging Editor / RAW Convertor can correct it pretty effectively.

Hope this helps.

Jai

natale

Hi, Jay.

I didn't consider 12-24 being a dx lens (don't know how many time still with great d90) and preferring length range as on thread..

However, lens you kindly suggest seems having great behaviour on 16-18 length (distortion), also better than 16-35 I was giving a look to.

Other wide lenses (not zoom) 18, 20, 24 2.8 seem not being extraordinary (by sharpness and distortion). "Seem".. : except 24 2.8, I didn't prove them directly.

12-24mm could effectively be a reasonable choice: thanks for your suggestion, Jay.

PS: looked at your page, outstanding photos.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Both Sigma 8-16 and Tokina 11-16 have low distortion at the "long" end and are fantastic value for money. Might be a bit wide for your needs though.

jvora

Hi, Jay.

Other wide lenses (not zoom) 18, 20, 24 2.8 seem not being extraordinary (by sharpness and distortion). "Seem".. : except 24 2.8, I didn't prove them directly.

Yeah ! Is that not surprising that Nikon does not have any decent Prime Lenses in the 14/16/20mm range !

When I moved to the FX Format, I had no choice but to invest in the 14-24mm Zoom Lens - Although very good. I would still have preferred a 14, 16 or 18mm Prime Lens. Hopefully one day soon we will have stellar lenses to choose in this range !

Do share once you have made a decision and your lens of choice - Good luck !

Wishes,

Jai

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line everything will have some distortion to it in the very wides. No getting around it unless you move up to a Medium Format tech cam. Lol

So you will always have to correct that which is easy with raw converters and such. I use PT lens for my Leica 19r lens converted to a Nikon mount. The Zeiss 18mm is a very nice prime for the Nikon. 14-24 is also nice but has some focus shift just need to be aware of that. The 24 TSE is okay some love it and some do not. Bottom line it's about money when it comes to wides. Cheap **** will get you nowhere. That's just a fact. It's the hardest lenses to design without several lens aberrations.

natale

Thanks for the opinions: they are more appreciated as they come from personal experiences or knowledge.

I can't consider the possibility to go on medium format (wishing that, but I've to be realistic :eek: ) , in future perhaps fx format: I'm an architect, not a photographer, so there are some difficulties on setting a professional equipment.

I've already looked up at Zeiss 18mm: great images, but despite price, it doesn't have AF. Images are really amazing, for me.

I've to give a look to Tokina: it looks a good lens but it seems it lacks AF too.

I think the best choice at the moment - for me - would be between nikon's 12-24 and 16-35 (fx too), even if the last one's images at 16mm give me some doubts..

Thankig to everybody (you have been very kind on answering) I've to say one issue: I feel a bit out of place on this forum. I've seen your photo-links.. quite impressive.. :eek:

turtle

There is also the Tokina 16-28 f2.8, which I own for Canon. I'd read about sample variation and ordered mine along with the 24 TS-E for architectural/cityscapes.

The Tokina turned out to be sharper in the 19-21mm range than the 24 TSE and gives my 24-70 L II a run for its money in terms of 'wow'. At 16mm its a bit less sharp, but still really good.

AF is a bit ropey but I always use live view. Its big and heavy and can be regarded as a much cheaper version of the Nikon 14-24 and a bit longer at both ends of course. I am extremely pleased with mine and it quickly produced a bunch of great portfolio images. Flare is significant (like the Nikon), but I can't fault the optical performance otherwise. Build is good too. Distortion seems to clean up nicely in LR.