The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon Pro Body Coming Soon ?

D&A

Nope, RAW is RAW. JPEG lets you dial down.
I don't know much about Canon DSLR's so please correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought some Canon models let you set "in camera" smaller sized Raw files, reduced from it's native resolution capture.

What I don't understand is why Nikon doesn't implement the same thing. The D800 would greatly benefit being able to shoot 24 or 16MP or smaller Raw files "in camera" without the need to import 36MP files to one's computer and then set a PS action to reduce them.

This would save at the very least having to import 500-100 RAW full sized files from a given shoot if that size file is not needed...especially if one is on the road with a small laptop. Except for possibly the need for a larger/faster in-camera processor, I can't see why its not done or offered as an in-camera option.

Dave (D&A)

bradhusick

The JPEG output of the D4 is so good that the reduced size images are really useful for online sports photos. I have never "needed" a RAW version of an image for this purpose after doing a game.

Looking forward to seeing whatever comes out.

D&A

The JPEG output of the D4 is so good that the reduced size images are really useful for online sports photos. I have never "needed" a RAW version of an image for this purpose after doing a game.

Looking forward to seeing whatever comes out.
Brad...In many of the indoor venues I shoot in, nor only is the color temp of the stage lighting changing moment to moment, but exposure values can swing to either side by up to 3 or more f stops every few seconds. Shooting Raw is mandatory to save the integrity of the files but often with the number of files shot, something much smaller that a full 36 mp is both needed and desirable. These are some of the reasons a reduced sized raw file is highly desirable. Many others have also requested this ability from the D800. If Canon could do it, I don't see why Nikon can't.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Brad...In many of the indoor venues I shoot in, nor only is the color temp of the stage lighting changing moment to moment, but exposure values can swing to either side by up to 3 or more f stops every few seconds. Shooting Raw is mandatory to save the integrity of the files but often with the number of files shot, something much smaller that a full 30pm is both needed and desirable. The a e are the reasons amount some others that a reduced sized raw file is highly desirable. Many others have also requested this ability from the D800 if Canon could do it, I don't see why Nikon can't.

Dave (D&A)
+1 to all of this

D&A

Wow, sorry for all the grammatical mistakes in my posting above. I've now corrected it so that it makes more sense.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

sounds like a good feature, why not.
Agree Brad and yet at the same time when full rez 36 mp files are needed, the same camera can be used. All that's being asked is for a reduced raw file size option when it's advantageous to have somewhat smaller raw files when shooting 500 of more files during a shoot and the full rez files aren't needed.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
M

mjr

Morning

Isn't that what the D4 is for? Smaller RAW, faster shutter rate, it's the camera for sports I would have thought. As Nikon is a business that needs to make money in order to keep going, they are providing people what they are asking for, our part of the deal is to buy the cameras!

Mat

momo

These are some of the reasons a reduced sized raw file is highly desirable. Many others have also requested this ability from the D800. If Canon could do it, I don't see why Nikon can't.

Dave (D&A)
wait, wait, I thought you could use the d800 at 24mp raw and smaller if desired...is that not true?...

D&A

Morning

Isn't that what the D4 is for? Smaller RAW, faster shutter rate, it's the camera for sports I would have thought. As Nikon is a business that needs to make money in order to keep going, they are providing people what they are asking for, our part of the deal is to buy the cameras!

Mat
Matt, completely agree that's what the D4 is for....but I think it's a bit unusual for a company to think or say to a D800 user, if you want a smaller full sized Raw file out of your D800, simply go out and spent $6,000 . I do though get the point you were trying to say.

Dave (D&A)

jduncan

Any information (speculation) on the number of megapixels?

I believe, that more Nikon have 3 main issues to address :

1. Old generation autofocusing system compared to Canon.

2. Abysmal quality control with bad handling (3 killer products {D600 spots, D800 lateral autofocus, D4 autofocus and green cast} compromised by issues that Nikon did not properly address).

3. Seems that Nikon is the only company that does not understand that to create glass capable of showing off the D800e and the ones to come you need "exotic glass" even sigma used it on the 120-300 f2.8 and optical quality is competitive with Primes and with the 200-400mm. Just trowing nano Crystal and doubling the price is not working any more.

I hope they address that. For my kind of photography the autofocus works, but it not all about my needs.

Best regards,
J. Duncan