The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I started to see the limtations of the trinity

Tektrader

Jack was pretty right, I did a bit of digging and the older Nikkor PC micro 45mm F2.8 T/S used stop down metering. The new one the Nikkor PC-E 45 F2.8 T/S has electronic aperture control so it can electronically meter exposure wide open then stops down on shooting automatically.

I did actually have one of the old AIs 28mm PC F3.5 lenses. It was pretty good stopped down to F5.6 and I have to say that focal length is a pretty nice place to be. Maybe I shouldn't have sold it.

The interesting part about the T/S lenses I would think is that if the new version has aperture control, how can you effectively look at the depth of field as you tilt seeing the lens is wide open? That must be really hard in live view when there isn't much light and the screen shows a stopped down image.

Dustbak

Jack was pretty right, I did a bit of digging and the older Nikkor PC micro 45mm F2.8 T/S used stop down metering. The new one the Nikkor PC-E 45 F2.8 T/S has electronic aperture control so it can electronically meter exposure wide open then stops down on shooting automatically.
There has never been a PC45 that used stop down metering. There only has been a 28mm PC, a 35mm PC and the 85PC (made by Nikon that is). The 85 looks the most like the current line of PC lenses and used stop down metering. I loved using the PC85 with my Digiflex II.

johnnygoesdigital

I'm starting to understand the limitations of this thread:) Deviating from the original question is nothing new, but if MF is now an option then I wouldn't be concerned about sample variations of a particular lens. Looking at MTF charts gives an idea in a controlled setting, but actually shooting under changing variables a landscape photographer might encounter, such as weather, and ambient light, is where you'll determine the functionality of a brand. Rent several lenses from LensRentals and I think they apply the rental cost to a purchase with certain lenses. There's some really good gear available to today's photographer, but knowing the limitations and trade off's are perhaps only limited by the photographers creativity. I lost interest after you wrote..." While I do a lot of landscapes and can take my time. Many times I am lazy and can't be bothered with using live view and a tripod." If your printing big as you say then anyone considering a print purchase from you would appreciate the time and effort you gave your art....imo

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have to agree Johnny, but then sometimes threads do change directions as the OP sees replies and gets steered in a new direction that really helps achieve their goal.

Example is he originally stated he definitely wanted AF: "Question is, what primes to replace the 2 with, keeping in mind I want bitingly sharp lenses, AF and strong corner performance?" He then repeats this with: "BUT the 80% of the time I am not taking serious shots is why I would like to retain AF." And then a few more threads down the 45 PCE was on his radar. Not an AF lens, but a great performer for landscape, his desired goal. I, and I suspect several others, never mentioned any MF lenses because he was so adamant originally about wanting AF. Fortunately for him, others ignored it and made the suggestions. It's why we have these discussion boards :D

Tektrader

Explanation....

It became obvious there is no AF lenses that I can buy that can achieve ALL the pre-requisites.

So that leaves me with retaining the kit I have for general shooting, and buying 2 or 3 new lenses to accomplish my printing/landscape goals hence the interest in the T/S lenses. Purpose built high quality lenses which seem to one of the few choices sharp across the frame due to large image circle.

Unless there are others with flat focus field that I should know about MF or NOT.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Explanation....

It became obvious there is no AF lenses that I can buy that can achieve ALL the pre-requisites.

So that leaves me with retaining the kit I have for general shooting, and buying 2 or 3 new lenses to accomplish my printing/landscape goals

I'll re-quote my own post from above to reiterate the point I made in it:

So most of us start to build a few different set of lenses; one for convenience (usually zooms and almost always AF), one for superior optical performance (and very often these are manual focus) and one for a certain look/character/drawing/rendering, whichever you want to call it -- and REGARDLESS of who made it or articulations it takes to set aperture or focus, we'll figure out a way to mount it to our camera body of choice so we can use it ;).

Good luck in building your own stable, it will likely be a journey with no final destination.

Cheers,

eleanorbrown

I am currently shooting the new Zeiss Otus 55 on both my D800e and A7R sony. It doesn't get any better. Eleanor

Ps...I might add that beginning of February I will be shooting with this set up at high altitude in cold and snow of Colorado so will see how the lens does under these conditions.

AreBee

Eleanor,

I am currently shooting the new Zeiss Otus 55 on both my D800e and A7R sony...beginning of February I will be shooting with this set up at high altitude in cold and snow of Colorado so will see how the lens does under these conditions.
Please can you let us know your findings, whether here at GetDPI or in Bernard's thread on LuLa that you previously posted in?

Many thanks,

eleanorbrown

Will do Rob. I will be curious to see how the lens does in very cold snowy damp weather. Eleanor

Eleanor,

Please can you let us know your findings, whether here at GetDPI or in Bernard's thread on LuLa that you previously posted in?

Many thanks,