The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a Nikon 200mm f.2 for close work?

henrkfoto

I am using the Micro Nikkor 200 f4 for stacking together with a Camranger.
It works great, but I have started to wonder if the Nikon 200 f.2 could be even sharper.
I can not find any information about how this lens performs close up.
Have anyone here tried it close?

Also, how is the optical difference between the generations of this lens if I will not use the VR?

(Normally I would just buy the lens and test for myself, but this is a very expensive lens..)

Pierrard

Nikon Lenses says that the 200/2 VR has a close focus of 1.9m, and a reproduction ratio of 1:8.1.

Unless you're planning on using extension tubes or bellows, macro at the level of the 200/4 looks to be out of the question.

I can't comment on the 200/2 or the setup you have though: I've just been using the 200/4 AIS with extension tubes for my macro-type work, which is reasonable for my purposes but likely not for yours.

Best of luck!

D&A

I rarely used the AF 200 f2 at very close or min. distance but when I did, I was suitably impressed Where many telephoto's seem to be optimized for longer subject distances, the 200 f2 (the two samples I had) were excellent at this close range. I did no formal testing against a dedicated macro which would perform superbly at closer range and I would suspect outperform the 200 f2 at it's min. focusing range....but with that said, I never felt once that the 200 f2 needed to be sharper at its min distance. I should also add I didn't pay particular attention to sides corners at this min. distance, as my intent was simply the subject matter at that range which was primarily towards the center of the frame.

Dave (D&A)

fotophil

I assume that you are using the older manual focus Nikon 200mm f/4 macro lens. If so you might consider using the AF version of the Nikon 200mm f/4 macro lens. It is able to focus down to 1:1 and is an improvemnt over the older lens. If I am wrong and you are already using the newer AF 200mm lens, I doubt that you will able to improve the performnace. The 200mm f/2 Nikon lens wasn't really optimized for macro applications so it isn't clear why you would expect it to out perform the macro l4ens. The weight and bulk of the 200mm f/2 lens would make the use of focus rails more difficult. The f/2 lens is a monster compared to the 200mm AF macro.

henrkfoto

What I am looking for is a better corrected lens for stacking.
The problem is that I need af, and most macro-lenses are mf.

How is the Sigma 180 macro?

D&A

What I am looking for is a better corrected lens for stacking.
The problem is that I need af, and most macro-lenses are mf.

How is the Sigma 180 macro?
The most recent incarnation of the Sigma 180mm macro is exceptionally good, but I give the edge to their 150mm macro.

Dave (D&A)