The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scouting the Yosemite Workshop

D&A

Having been there the day before you folks I can tell you that at 5:09pm El Capitan is much redder than 5:04pm and also it's washed out at 5:11pm. As Bob said, it's also interpretive. My Phase One base images looked bland OOC as I'm sure Bob & Jack's DSLR images did (to a lesser degree perhaps).
Bland? You mean all those trees, rocks, softly bluured water no to mention the intense red reflections were all photoshopped in? Yikes! :eek: LOL!

I concur that often all it takes it a few minutes time difference for the dynamic lighting of a landscape to dramatically change. Often it's all about capturing that moment.

Dave (D&A)

Sparky16

I'm aware of the light changes very rapidly, especially during sunset. The whole show disappears within a few minutes. But Bob and Jack's images were taken only a few seconds(21 seconds) apart, so was the question.

I have been at this "Valley View" scene numerous times, it's almost unbelievable not seeing any hint of snow/ice & mist in the images taken this time of year. Wondering if the horsetail falls(aka fire falls) will be visible next month.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bland? You mean all those trees, rocks, softly bluured water no to mention the intense red reflections were all photoshopped in? Yikes! :eek: LOL!

I concur that often all it takes it a few minutes time difference for the dynamic lighting of a landscape to dramatically change. Often it's all about capturing that moment.

Dave (D&A)
Now I know that you know what I meant by bland :) Not a bland scene, just a flat image OOC capturing the dynamic range of the scene. A few sliders later and pop :)

Sparky16: 21 seconds is a lifetime ... But I'd agree that it's all about post processing and interpretation as Bob said.

I'd be sure to check water levels before making a trek for the fire fall shot. Right now the falls are very light compared to normal.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sparky,

The way you're asking the question, it seems maybe you've never processed a raw file? (Or maybe you process with LR instead of C1 ----- KIDDING! :ROTFL:)

In this kind of light, a tiny change to WB can make a significant appearance difference. Also, images are processed to render a look the artist wants or at the very least, how they remember the scene. If you want to know what the scene really looked like to the camera, here is the paired jpeg for my first frame straight out of the cam which is set to auto WB, manual exposure for full histo and no processing other than downsizing -- but be advised this is no more accurate than our processed versions above:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Correct WB in landscape is something you do not want . Every sunrise and sunset image ever shot would be mostly blue tone or 5600 kelvin. Not something you want. Written from the Mojave Desert sitting on a white throne. Back to driving. 8 hours to go. Sucks

Thomas Fallon

What was the white balance on your throne? Guessing it was way in the warm range. As far as eight hours from Yosemite, I have little sympathy given my own location... not to mention my current temperature in Maine. At least you were on the white throne for a while. Rock on.