The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite Nikon Df lenses?

w44neg

Hi,

I joined the forum recently after picking up a Sony A7r. However it just wasn't for me in the end, and I now have a Df. I'm really liking it so far and as I already had a few Nikon lenses, I'm looking really forward to trying it out on a trip soon.

I wondered what lenses people have been finding are most suitable? I hear that older manual focus lenses can be used but I'm clueless with this, so perhaps MF recommendations could be made too?

On my trip, I'm likely to take the standard 50mm, my 16-35 and I'll also try out my 24-85 VR as it's surprised me plenty of times in the past, plus makes for a lightweight "most bases covered" travel solution.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Welocome to the forum!

The Df following here is sparse....just a few of us.

Anything Zeiss...at least my selection of ZF.2s 50 and 100 Macro, 35 1.4 and 25 2.0...18 and 21 would be great.

Nikon 105 F 2 DC

Nikon 58 1.4 surprisingly good...

Leica R 180 3.4 Apo-Telyt

Love to find a 45 P the Tessar would shine with the Df sensor....

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My favorite Nikon lenses remain my favorites on the Df too:

28/1.4 AF-D; 50/1.2 AIS (manual focus); 85/1.4G; 105 DC.

I also like the 17-35/2.8 AF-D as my ultra-wide, it replaces a bunch of wide primes and is as good or better than all the f1.8, 2.0 or 2.8 AF-D primes in that range (the f.14 primes are better generally though).

w44neg

This is excellent, thanks. I'm aiming to concentrate more on the lenses side, now that I've found a body that feels right and works well in my hands.

Y Sol

I use the Nikkor 85mm 2.0 Ais a lot on the Df. It's very cheap and light. Here are some recent shots, all @f2

DDudenbostel

My favorite is the 50mm f1.2 AIS then second is the 105mm f2.5 AIS. I've pretty much dedicated the Df to MF lenses and have the 28 f2.8 AIS which is a terrific lens, 35 f2 AIS, 50 f1.2 AIS, 85 f1.4 D, 105 f2.5 AIS, 135 f3.5 AIS, 200 f4 AI, 75-150 f3.5 AIS, 25-50 f4 AI and a micro 50 f3.5 AI that are all very good.

The 28 is excellent even at f2.8 and the 105 is superb at all apertures as well. The 85 is simply beautiful wide open. I think the 135 is a forgotten FL but is very sharp even at 3.5. The AI/S 200 is a totally different animal from the old version and is very good and a real bargain like the 135. I paid less than $70!for each from B&H and KEH for excellent clean copies. The micro is stellar and the 75-150 is quite good. The big surprise is the 25-50 f4 which is excellent even at f4. It even performs quite well on my D800.

Congratulations on your purchase of the Df. It's a fabulous camera.

JPL

Somehow I enjoy most the smaller lenses - MF they are:

28 2.8 AIS
50 1.2 AI
105 2.8 Micro AIS

On the AF side:
85 1.8 D
16-35 VR

The standard 50 1.8 is a nice walk around lens...

All the best

JPH

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree the kit 50/1.8 is better than expected and significantly so -- I was quite surprised.

I really like the look from Ysol's 85/2. If I wanted a smaller manual 85 for street, I'd snag one of those in a heartbeat -- IMHO it has the juice of the 85/1.4G which is something the 85/1.8 does not really have, and the 85/2 is about 1/2rd the size and weight of the 85/1.4G :thumbs:

Which leads me to add that the 105/2.5 or 1.8 manual focus has the same juice in a longer focal. So does the 105DC and the DC is AF, but if one is looking for MF lenses or wanting to build a less expensive lightweight kit, these are some bargain-priced gems.

johnnygoesdigital

Sigma has an amazing 50mm 1.4 and a stunning 35mm 1.4. The 35mm 1.4 I owned personally, and IMO, was superior to the legendary Zeiss glass. I once owned the tiny Nikon 24mm 2.8 D. I used it on my D800 with remarkable results - these can be had for about $300 new. The Nikon 85mm 1.4G, imo is also one of Nikon's best, beautiful OOF rendering. The Nikon 24mm 1.4 G is on my short list too. Utilizing the sensor of the D4, the Df should be more forgiving, and allow many more lens choices. I think the DF in black is one of the slickest cameras i've seen - wrap it in a half case and you've got lots of character! Alas, something i miss in my D800.

I'm interested in the PC-E 45mm, and would love any comments on that one.

Last edited:

JohnBrew

On the PC-E 45 - I've used two different examples. First was a rental and I liked it enough to buy one which turned out to be awful - CA everywhere! (I surmise the Nano-coating was incorrectly applied). I sent it back. Bottom line is that Nikon really, really needs a re-design for all their PC-E lenses. If you use a Canon setup you will see what I mean. For just shift/rise lenses try the old Ais ones - they work great and produce good color.

D&A

For potential use on the Df, these are some of my absolute favorites taking into consideration "look" more than shear optical performance. There are of course many others to consider:

a) Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 (rich deep saturated colors for nature and landscape) and has become my favorites over the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 that was the best compromise wide angle zoom in my opinion).

b) Nikon 28mm f1.4 (for look at more open apertures and nice performance stopped down).

c) Nikon AF 50mm f1.8 (as others have stated, a great walk around lens)

d) Sigma 50mm f1.4 (nice the way it draws)

e) Nikon 50mm f1.2 Ais (same as above)

f) Nikon 58mm f1.2 Ais (great night time lens)

g) Nikon 105 f2.5 Ais (small and a wonderful small short telephoto)

h) Nikon 105 f2 DC (renders beautifully, especially under the right lighting conditions)

i) Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro (less of a look but superb and versitile macro)

j) Tamron 70-150 f2.8 Soft Focus Control Lens (both a normal and soft focus control lens. Under the right lighting, portraits and nature type images are sublime).

*** I've tried the Nikon MF 28mm shift lens and as John indicated, it performed nicely on the DF.

Dave (D&A)

johnnygoesdigital

On the PC-E 45 - I've used two different examples. First was a rental and I liked it enough to buy one which turned out to be awful - CA everywhere! (I surmise the Nano-coating was incorrectly applied). I sent it back. Bottom line is that Nikon really, really needs a re-design for all their PC-E lenses. If you use a Canon setup you will see what I mean. For just shift/rise lenses try the old Ais ones - they work great and produce good color.
Hi John,

I wonder if that applies to all the PC-E focal lengths? I'll rent from LensRentals first. Thanks-

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have had the exact same experience with the 45 PC-E -- one was good (not great) and the other was terrible. End of day, I have yet to experience a copy as good as my 85.

harmsr

Workshop Member
My Nikon gear consists of a D4 & Df for bodies. Portrait work and sport shooting of kite boarding.

This is the lens lineup & they work great on both bodies.

50/1.8 G - Surprisingly good walkabout lens. Had to buy the Df as a kit to find the body.

58/1.4 G - Amazing lens even though DxO testing says otherwise. Must be used to appreciate how it draws.

85/1.4 G - Amazing portrait lens.

105/2.8 G Micro - Great for macro & even at distance.

300/2.8 VR II - My favorite sport lens.

24-70/2.8 G - Amazing for a zoom.

70-200/2.8 VRII - Good tele zoom.

retow

28mm ais, 1.8/85D, and the surprisingly good kit lens. The first one is with the 28mm, iso 12800, no NR applied. Bangkok sweat shop after dark where all the authentic Gucci, Prada, .... makes can be had.

pixelatedscraps

How do you guys find manual focusing on the Df? It's one of the things that initially held me back from getting one: great sensor, solid AF (not stunning) but no way to change the focusing screen for one more suited to manual focus.

Kyndel

Has anybody tryed the Nikon 60G on the body ??

I am very interested in this because I want to place it more or less permanently on my coming DF (I am on the fence) if they go fine together.