The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Rebates

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I use the 14-24 when I want speed or a zoom with uncompromised quality, and am willing to deal with the bulk to get there. Most of the time though I just use the ZF 18. It's small and indistinguishable from the 14-24 at 18. Both have LR profiles so the complicated distortion is a total non-problem. An 18 is easily hand holdable at 1/15 to 1/20 on the D800E with a little care, up to about double that - 1/30 to 1/60 if you're shooting from the hip or don't have steady hands.

Edit: sorry, posted to the wrong thread...

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon Lens Versions -- and Serial Numbers

Gary et al., here's a link to a webpage with serial numbers for Nikon lens versions Nikon Lens Serial Nos

I don't know if this list is adequate with regards to the AF-S 17-35mm IF-ED, but the lens is present in the list where the zoom lenses start by scrolling down about 60 % or by searching for this exact character string: zoom 14..24-xx

bensonga

Thanks Steen! You must have read my mind, because I was just wondering this morning how I could find out if the copy I receive from KEH is an early or late model.

Gary

jsf

I have a later version of the 17-35. It does not squeak. It is as sharp as my micro-55 or 105 or 200 Q. Except as noted in the extreme corners. The low distortion and excellent low flare characteristics are amazing. At optimal f/stops this is a stellar lens. It takes standard 77mm filters. It performs equally as well of the d700 as the d800e. I think you will enjoy the lens. Joe

bensonga

Received the 17-35 today. Squeak, squeak, squeak. My friend at Stewarts Photo said it is one of the worst he has heard....so it's going back to KEH. I'll take some shots with it, just to see how I like the images. Maybe I'll spring for a new one someday.

Gary

Last edited:

D&A

Hi Gary,

Sorry you received one with the squeak. Only reason to keep it is if you are trying to attract wild birds with the squeak, in order for them to come to your window in order to be photographed. :)

Gary I though you mentioned that locally there was a Tokina 16-35 mm f2.8 lens in Nikon mount. If so, and if it turns out to be a good sample, you might be surprised at level of performance. That's one of the reasons I've switched over to it. If the lens is available locally and you can try it out first, you have nothing to loose by doing so.

On a separate note, as good as KEH is...If they truly inspect the equipment they sell as they claim..then how could they miss the squeak? I can tell you with certainty that this isn't the 1st time they've done this with this particular lens. Even brand new ones purchased now can develop the squeak in a few years. A photo acquaintance had that happen to his after the warranty ran out and it cost him big bucks

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

bensonga

Hi Dave. I was surprised at the squeaks from a KEH EX+ rated lens too. This lens even came with the original box, caps hood and case. On the box was a sticker from KEH saying it had been inspected, tested and graded. By whom I wonder? I've bought a lot of used equipment from KEH over the past 10 years with very few problems, but I have to wonder now if their standards are slipping.

My local shop has the Tokina 16-28/2.8 in stock (new), so I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder and info about this lens Dave.

Gary

D&A

Hi Gary,

I've noticed some significant changes in KEH too. I found out they are not owned by the same group as those from a number of years ago so from what I hear, things are done differently with regards to their business model.

Regarding the Tokina, like many ultra wide angle zooms from 3rd party manufacturers, there is considerable sample to sample variations.

At least one way to tell if the lens is from a fairly recent production run is to look at the lens cap. They went through a number of itinerations. The latest is a hard plastic type cup shaped cap (when inverted) and when slid over the front of the lens, has the usual two places on the sides that you press in so that the cap actually clips onto the lens securely, so it cannot fall off. A much improved design over the Nikon cap for their 14-24mm lens. Lets us know your findings after you test it out.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Hi all: I use a D800e, and usually use a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens as my everyday walk around lens, and also have the excellent (for the $) Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I have had a 50mm f1.8 G lens ever since I got the D800e, as it is an outstanding dollar price to lens value. I also have several high end Nikon zooms and manual focus Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, but the rebates seemed too good to pass up. Even though I don't really need it, today I ordered the 85mm f1.8 G at $396.95 with free shipping at B&H. The 50 and 85 are light weight and will make a nice combo, along with either my Zeiss 18mm or 35mm f2 (not so light). The build quality may not be Pro grade, but, hey, I am an Amateur who babies his lenses, and gives them very light use compared to a Pro, so it is plenty good enough for me. I researched several lens tests on the web, and all give the 85 f1.8 stellar reviews. I will post some stuff with the lens, if I get anything worth while.
Regards to all
Dave in NJ

D&A

Dave with all the usual talk of exotic lenses, it's nice to know that there are straight forward reasonably fast common focal length lenses that perform exceptionally well and are a relative bargain price wise when compared to their f1.4 brethren. I too use the 50mm f1.8 SE and agree with you about it excellent performance as a walk about lens

I've used the new 85 mm f1.8 and would say the same thing about it
It's close to 90 percent performance of the faster lenses but much less expensive. If there weren't so many other items I dearly would live to obtain, I'd be quickly joining the Nikon rebate bandwagon. I still might ..too tempting :).

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Hi all: I use a D800e, and usually use a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens as my everyday walk around lens, and also have the excellent (for the $) Tamron 70-300mm VC lens. I have had a 50mm f1.8 G lens ever since I got the D800e, as it is an outstanding dollar price to lens value. I also have several high end Nikon zooms and manual focus Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, but the rebates seemed too good to pass up. Even though I don't really need it, today I ordered the 85mm f1.8 G at $396.95 with free shipping at B&H. The 50 and 85 are light weight and will make a nice combo, along with either my Zeiss 18mm or 35mm f2 (not so light). The build quality may not be Pro grade, but, hey, I am an Amateur who babies his lenses, and gives them very light use compared to a Pro, so it is plenty good enough for me. I researched several lens tests on the web, and all give the 85 f1.8 stellar reviews. I will post some stuff with the lens, if I get anything worth while.
Regards to all
Dave in NJ
Well, I received the new 85mm f1.8 lens just as the (hopefully) last snow fall hit the NJ shore. Not one to waste opportunities, I went looking for "85mm pictures" if that makes sense. If you look at my web site, it is mostly seascapes made with wide angle lenses...I am a wide angle guy. Usually, I look for a picture, then use the correct lens to capture it. This time I put on the lens, then looked for pictures to fit it's coverage. I really like it for repetitive pattern shots, as backing off gives a slightly compressed view of the repeated patterns. The actual pixels views on screen are razor sharp, even though the patterns were shot at f11 and f13, sacrificing a bit of sharpness for depth of field. The color shot was 1/400 at f10. The pattern shots were 1/1000 f13 and 1/1600 f11. This lens is truly a bargain. It is small and light enough I intend to always have it in my bag. Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

viablex1

Hi Dave. I was surprised at the squeaks from a KEH EX+ rated lens too. This lens even came with the original box, caps hood and case. On the box was a sticker from KEH saying it had been inspected, tested and graded. By whom I wonder? I've bought a lot of used equipment from KEH over the past 10 years with very few problems, but I have to wonder now if their standards are slipping.

My local shop has the Tokina 16-28/2.8 in stock (new), so I will check it out. Thanks for the reminder and info about this lens Dave.

Gary
that is the overall problem with KEH if you buy something, check it out really good. I have had all kinds of weird stuff over the years