The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4s... I hate this

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hate dragging big, heavy cameras around. Still, the top Nikon models have a special kind of soul that makes me feel, not think, that This is a Tool.

Nikon Finally Pulls Back the Curtain on the D4s: A Less Noisy, Faster Version of the D4

Nikon D4s First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

I have the D2Xs, a D700 and an F6. They are certainly not among my most used cameras, but the user experience is still so great, I hesitate to sell them. With this, maybe the D3 falls within my limit, and in 6-7 years, who knows, maybe I have this fastest dinosaur on earth? Maybe :p

Elderly

Probably for the first time ever, a camera that has a higher available ISO number than the expected number of its shutter actuations!
Who needs such low light shooting ability other than vampires?:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am disappointed. I expected a D4X at 24MP or a D5 at 36MP I guess. Time to take a second look at the Sony A's...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nikon just follows their pattern:

D3 - 12MP
D3s - 12MP but faster, higher ISO etc.

D4 - 16MP
D4s - 16MP but faster, higher ISO etc.

What else would one expect from Nikon? They became a very predictable vendor, although meanwhile VERY boring.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am disappointed. I expected a D4X at 24MP or a D5 at 36MP I guess. Time to take a second look at the Sony A's...
Who says it won't come? It's still only February. But 24MP wouldn't make sense, other for a D5. 50MP would be more likely.

D

Deleted member 7792

Jack, join the rest of us. I sold my M Type 240 and some Leica lenses and now have two Sony a7R bodies and a couple (soon three if the "brown truck" arrives today) native Sony-Zeiss lenses. I sold all my Nikon gear a couple of years ago after a bout with sciatica. Oh, my back feels soooo much better!

Joe

John Kraus

My disappoint over the D4 I currently own is the lack of added cross sensors for focus. I really thought that would be part of the upgrade, and believe it's the same as the D4. Which is excellent. Except when it's not, particularly in low light.

On the video end Nikon is saying the D4s offers true HD Video as compared to the D4. Did they ever say the D4 did NOT offer true HD Video? No they didn't. And the camera, in fact, did not. Nothing close to the D800. So if the video is improved, it's really that they finally corrected the screwup of D4 video. Although if it's good HD quality at 60 fps, that's an upgrade over the D800. I'll believe it when I see it.

In terms of improved noise characteristics, as stated earlier yes it's the implied quality of improvement at 'normal' high ISOs- 6400, 1200, and perhaps now 25,000. My D4 starts to fall apart over 8,000 ISO depending on the scene. If I could get the current quality of 8,000 at 16,000- that's a huge improvement. But worth switching out? Not at the moment for me.

jduncan

I don't understand were you got that idea, everyone but Ken Rockwell knew that it will have 16mpixels, in particular because Nikon did say so in the pre announcement.

I believe the Sony cameras are good, and lighter, but I am intrigued by your comment.

I hoped for more in the autofocus performance area, in particular more cross type sensors and if possible dual cross types. I don't believe that this update will be enough to get to the Canon 1Dx level in good light.

But we got what we got.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

fotografz

Tough crowd.

If we consider the actual use these cameras are for … sports and other fast paced work often accompanied by electronic transfer of files to a news service or editorial dept., does 36 meg make any sense?

I think what you are shelling out for here is an evolution of a highly proven platform able to sustain rugged reliable performance day in and day out.

Of course, this doesn't preclude a "studio" version with a much higher meg count … but I'd even question that in the face of the D800. Maybe for a high volume production studio, but not sure what else?

Oh well, I'm long out of the Canon/Nikon wars.

- Marc

RVB

Tough crowd.

If we consider the actual use these cameras are for … sports and other fast paced work often accompanied by electronic transfer of files to a news service or editorial dept., does 36 meg make any sense?

I think what you are shelling out for here is an evolution of a highly proven platform able to sustain rugged reliable performance day in and day out.

Of course, this doesn't preclude a "studio" version with a much higher meg count … but I'd even question that in the face of the D800. Maybe for a high volume production studio, but not sure what else?

Oh well, I'm long out of the Canon/Nikon wars.

- Marc
"but I'd even question that in the face of the D800. Maybe for a high volume production studio, but not sure what else?"

Marc,I think a rugged D series body with much better ergonomics would sell,I would offload my D800E for one if Nikon released it..

Rob

fotografz

"but I'd even question that in the face of the D800. Maybe for a high volume production studio, but not sure what else?"

Marc,I think a rugged D series body with much better ergonomics would sell,I would offload my D800E for one if Nikon released it..

Rob
Got ya Rob. Prior to moving to Sony 35mm for various reasons, I used a D3 and D3X, and totally understand the attraction.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Writing is on the wall. Nikon will puddle along canon goes video direction and Sony wants to be Number 1 or 2. I went with the innovator. I'm really liking the Sony but I want to see more from them. We need more FE glass

This is great for the sports crowd . Just not my need. I was hoping for more sensor power and better live view kind of cam. Will see what's next from them.

Last edited:

Godfrey

It looks like another solid, serviceable, top of the line Nikon camera to me.

I have not desired a top of the line Nikon since the F3 because everything after that, at the top of the line, was obviously intended to fulfill someone else's wish list. But that doesn't stop them from being very solid, serviceable tools.

I'm pretty happy with what I've chosen to buy these days.
Now the problem is more when to find time to use it.

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the perfect solution to those who are today the d4 pro body shooters.
It addresses all of the issues that folks have complained about.
And one other thing the surveys demonstrate is that these shooters DO NOT WANT file sized larger than 16MP.

Lately I have been shooting the Df quite a bit and frankly I wonder exactly what I was doing with all those megapixels I lost.
No, the Sony is not for me.
It is not innovation for the market the D4s is aimed at, it is crap.
I met with a group of "action and nature" photographers last night.
They are universally enthusiastic about it.
I guess if I shot birds with long lenses, or (hockey, football, basketball) games, or motocross events, or snowboard stuff I would be too.
But I don't.
But for what I do, the D800 and Df do just fine. The a7r makes my eyes bleed, gives me a headache, and is just too slow to use.
-bob

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Writing is on the wall. Nikon will puddle along canon goes video direction and Sony wants to be Number 1 or 2. I went with the innovator. I'm really liking the Sony but I want to see more from them. We need more FE glass
Sony will need to find a path to profitability whereas Nikon is already solidly there.

jduncan

Looks like the perfect solution to those who are today the d4 pro body shooters.
It addresses all of the issues that folks have complained about.
And one other thing the surveys demonstrate is that these shooters DO NOT WANT file sized larger than 16MP.

Lately I have been shooting the Df quite a bit and frankly I wonder exactly what I was doing with all those megapixels I lost.
No, the Sony is not for me.
It is not innovation for the market it is aimed at, it is crap.
I met with a group of "action and nature" photographers last night.
They are universally enthusiastic about it.
I guess if I shot birds with long lenses, or (hockey, football, basketball) games, or motocross events, or snowboard stuff I would be too.
But I don't.
But for what I do, the D800 and Df do just fine. The a7r makes my eyes bleed, gives me a headache, and is just too slow to use.
-bob
I will agree with you about your evaluation of the D4s, but I will add a nuance.
We don't know if they solve the issues, just thar they address them. In particular they continue to use the same AF module (no more cross sensors). I will say that the jury is still out in this one. But they DID address it as you say.

Best regards,
J. Duncan