The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon introduces a new raw processor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Finally loaded and played around with it a bit. First reaction is the "parametric" type adjustments a-la LR, which I personally *hate*. But it's a nice option to have maybe for some difficult images. So far, I have not seen anything superior from it compared to what I'm getting out of C1.

Godfrey

Finally loaded and played around with it a bit. First reaction is the "parametric" type adjustments a-la LR, which I personally *hate*. But it's a nice option to have maybe for some difficult images. So far, I have not seen anything superior from it compared to what I'm getting out of C1.
hmm. why do you hate parametric adjustments? it's what you do in all raw processors until you output an RGB file with the adjustments embedded in the pixels ... ??

Adobe didn't invent this, even with Camera Raw. They just formalized it in Lightroom by tailoring a database to retain the adjustment information for re-use.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Godfrey,

Parametric refers to sliders affecting an adjustment curve in some predetermined, smoothed out fashion instead of allowing me to make that adjustment more directly. C1 allows me that freedom, LR and the new Capture do not appear to.

neils

I found and read a review of NXD by Jason Odell. I've pretty much decided I'll load NXD, it is free but in NXD they've stripped it of everything that made NX2
the superb tool it is. U-points if you haven't used them crush layers IMO.

Anyhow, I guess its time to move to LR/PS for $9.99 a month while I can. I have no plans for a camera beyond my 8 year old D3 so NX2 is still my choice.

Neil

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Parametric refers to sliders affecting an adjustment curve in some predetermined, smoothed out fashion instead of allowing me to make that adjustment more directly. C1 allows me that freedom, LR and the new Capture do not appear to.
That's just user interface controls, not "parametric editing." In LR, you can use the Tone Curve in point mode to effect greater control than the zone-smoothed curve or sliders, and modify RGB channels individually as well. In the HSL panels, you can manupilate hue, saturation and luminance on a fine grained scale of separation without interactions. The basic panel sliders are designed to help assist getting rough adjustment in place prior to detail control.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay fine. Anyway you parse it, at the end of the day I just don't like the interface. And the new Nikon is similar. YMMV.

Godfrey

Okay fine. Anyway you parse it, at the end of the day I just don't like the interface. And the new Nikon is similar. YMMV.
Nothing wrong with that.

I have no interest in the Nikon software per se because I don't use Nikon digital cameras. I was just curious about your statement, it didn't make much sense to me when I read it.

All raw conversion applications use parametric editing; how they present the editing controls (UI) to implement the editing task is one of the key things that differentiates them from one another.

G