The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon offers D600 shutter replacements

I just got mine back (sent it in a bit before announcement), new shutter installed, AF etc "adjusted" and checked. Took about 7-8 days, incl. shipping. But that may change now that there is much more work in the pipeline

turtle

They say that they are not putting in D610 shutters, but replacement D600 units. I am not sure I believe this, because the incidence of problems with D600 shutters seems rather high and the D610 came out rather quickly with a shutter redesign. I suppose admitting to putting in D610 shutters would go one step too far towards admitting the original units are 'not fit for purpose'. All seems rather fishy, but out of warranty support is at least some consolation, albeit far too late for most people.

They say that they are not putting in D610 shutters, but replacement D600 units. I am not sure I believe this, because the incidence of problems with D600 shutters seems rather high and the D610 came out rather quickly with a shutter redesign. I suppose admitting to putting in D610 shutters would go one step too far towards admitting the original units are 'not fit for purpose'. All seems rather fishy, but out of warranty support is at least some consolation, albeit far too late for most people.
I foolishly assumed they would be using D610 shutters- if they are using the defectively designed D600 units, that is not much better than just cleaning the sensor repeatedly. The D600 shutters apparently ALL didn't have the problem, so there could be the element of chance at work, perhaps getting a "good" D600 shutter. If they are just kicking the can down the road, I may well sign up for one of the lawsuits., something I have been loathe to do.

D&A

This is just my guess. I doubt that Nikon is simply throwing away each and every D600 form each camera that's sent in to them. Instead they have a stock of removed D600 shutters that have been modified with some sort of shield, shroud, or other modification that simply prevents dust from getting in.

This modification is then similar to to the stock D610 shutters. Again just a guess.

Dave (D&A)

I just ran a test on my "serviced" D600, using intervalometer to make 2,000 exposures.

Then took test shot of blue sky at f22 with the 24-85VR. Have not changed lenses, other than going outside to make sky exposures, it has not been out of the house. Result is that, for this unit anyway, the problem remains. I have a dozen plus round oil spots in basically the upper left quadrant of the sensor. I have contacted Nikon again to see where this goes.

The rep did, BTW, say they are using "new" shutters (I keep typing that word with an "i" in it- must be psychological).

Discouraging.

viablex1

well that sucks to hear that, I hope you get it resolved.

I assume and maybe incorrectly, that this is an attempt to dodge litigation of some sort by nikon?

well that sucks to hear that, I hope you get it resolved.

I assume and maybe incorrectly, that this is an attempt to dodge litigation of some sort by nikon?
There are several law firms "pushing" class action lawsuits over this issue. My general inclination is to avoid them, if possible; while they sometimes may be needed, it is usually the lawyers who get the lion's share of any settlement. I'd rather try to get Nikon to "do right" on this, but am keeping the class action option in the background in case they won't/can't fix it and tell me to live with it.

viablex1

I totally agree, also my wife being an attorney I would not say it was out of the question to file a small claims case. May sound ridiculous but our attorney friend won a suit against ticket master that way so did a lady in cali against honda

viablex1

Reference #140311-000736

they actually block the email address you send to them, of course I have like five and submitted this.
'
Dear Sir or Madam,

regarding order and repair 6345485, The unit was shipped to you after a professional cleaning. The problem does exist with the camera, that is many oil and dust spots after shutter actuation.

Already on several forums in the camera world units are coming back saying that they are repaired but have the same problem.

I do not want to be one of them.

If you actually fix the camera then I have no problem if you don't I will start action by finding a local Agent for service in the State of Tennessee if none can be found I will proceed with civil litigation through the secretary of state in Tennessee and I will sue Nikon in general sessions court.

This is not an idle threat I really just want the camera to work

Cordially,

Matthew

viablex1

well apparently a suit has been filed in federal court how that would help an individual I have no idea 25 bucks a piece may buy an SD card, but that is behind the announcement, they are a greedy bunch nikon is, but then again this is the impetus for the coming darkness , greed.:scry:

viablex1

got this back

promising at least

Dear M.W. Friel,

Thank you for contacting Nikon service and support. Your camera is currently in the shop being repaired. We will be cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera. Any other information you might need, don't hesitate on contacting us via your account at our web site, or at our toll free number 1-800-NIKON-US (1-800-645-6687).

Reference Number: 140311-000736

Service Order# 6345485

Kind regards,

Shanel J

viablex1

wow and that is from the actual fulcrum of defective products!! China lol

I feel a new D610 coming my way!!!

wow and that is from the actual fulcrum of defective products!! China lol

I feel a new D610 coming my way!!!
Wouldn't count on it. I just got my D600 back a second time (service advisory fix didn't fix), and all they did was clean the sensor. They say it is the latest shutter (installed previous time in the service advisory), and that's it. They are not buying back, not replacing with refurb D610's or anything. All of this despite showing them test images which caused them to ask I send it back so they could examine the continuing problem. In their opinion, replacing the shutter was the answer, and evidence of continuing failure be damned.

It's still in the bag, and anyone wants it for $1300 + shipping is welcome. Nikon says it is perfect. Maybe I am too demanding...

viablex1

We will be cleaning and replacement of the shutter assembly and related parts of your camera

this gives me a little hope that and suing them is really easy

Their senior exec says by email tonight that my testing of the camera with the intervalometer (suggested by Thom Hogan) is an unnatural use and testing and looking for things leads to seeing things which wouldn't affect normal operation.