The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 1 V3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Does this thing really only come with a Micro-SD slot?
Yes, but while I don't particularly like that, there are 128GB Micro-SD cards available, and 64GB cards cost next to nothing. If the RAW files are 20MB, 128GB rooms 6,400 images per card. That's 178 rolls of film in my F6. Shouldn't be a problem ;)

Lonnie Utah

Yes, but while I don't particularly like that, there are 128GB Micro-SD cards available, and 64GB cards cost next to nothing. If the RAW files are 20MB, 128GB rooms 6,400 images per card. That's 178 rolls of film in my F6. Shouldn't be a problem ;)
The issue isn't the SIZE of micro-SD, it's the read/write speeds....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The issue isn't the SIZE of micro-SD, it's the read/write speeds....
SanDisk Extreme Pro® microSDHC™ UHS-I card has a write speed of up to 90MB/s. It's only 16GB, but the 64GB SanDisk Extreme® PLUS microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-I Card has a write speed of up to 50MB/s. That's as fast as all but the latest, greatest SD and CF cards and enough for anything this side of 4K, which the V3 doesn't feature anyway.

Next year, they'll be even faster :)

Last edited:

AlexLF

I never even looked at V1 and V3 but the V3 is getting closer. Actually, this is interesting. Need to handle it and see what's it got.

raist3d

After some research looks like I am going to have to pass on this camera. The problem is this:

- We have the 28mm, 50mm and 85mm equivalent focal lengths. You can get those focals or almost those in m4/3rds and here is where the real problem happens - the m4/3rd lenses are pretty much as big as the Nikon 1 system ones.

So where is the size advantage then? The zooms are a different story, but even the nice 32mm (85mm) Nikon 1 is as big or bigger than the Olympus 45mm F1.8.

You may say "but wait, the Nikon 1 is F1.2"- sure. But the DOF equivalent is about same or similar, and both are giving you more or less the focal length plus whatever low light advantage the Nikon 1 lens would give you here, the m4/3rds sensor would just deal by doing better ISO.

Thus to me the only real advantages of this system is for birding or sports in situations with enough light (il.e. daylight, ideally).

Bummer.

- Ricardo

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
These are indeed among the reasons why I've stayed away, Ricardo. However, what may change the equation somewhat are:

- If you're a Nikon user and can use Nikon AF-S lenses with AF (the 85mm f/1.8 seems to be particularly well suited, but there are others too)
- The modularity of the V3, making it span from GM1 to at least E-M5 and partly the E-M1 (AF)
- Unique high speed features, photo as well as video
- The inclusion of a very compact waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) body and lens in the system

The open question is image quality, particularly at high ISO. M4/3 has come incredibly far in that area. Also, the Panasonic video capabilities are rather unique, although they don't offer anything near 120fps in a compact body.

I'm rathe happy with what I have at the moment, but it would be fun to try :)

raist3d

These are indeed among the reasons why I've stayed away, Ricardo. However, what may change the equation somewhat are:

- If you're a Nikon user and can use Nikon AF-S lenses with AF (the 85mm f/1.8 seems to be particularly well suited, but there are others too)
I think that's a nice extra, but it goes to point back to sports/birding. I honestly wouldn't look forward to a smaller system because I can use big DSLR lenses on it- that defeats the purpose. One reason I haven't cared much for m4/3rds using my 4/3rd lenses.

I do understand this is a personal want/need on that point so if someone likes that aspect, that's certainly an advantage for them.

- The modularity of the V3, making it span from GM1 to at least E-M5 and partly the E-M1 (AF)
I actually expect the AF to be better than the EM-1. I have seen what the Nikon 1 V1 can do, so I expect better here. I agree the size span is very attractive- one reason I am looking at this model at all.

- Unique high speed features, photo as well as video
That points back to sports. Though I agree those wanting video also, that's attractive. But Panasonic m4/3rds does phenomenal video. I suppose the slo mo modes are interesting for those into that.

- The inclusion of a very compact waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) body and lens in the system
I really don't care one bit about it, since I am specifically looking at the V3. Though I agree for those who do actual scuba diving, this is attractive.

The open question is image quality, particularly at high ISO. M4/3 has come incredibly far in that area. Also, the Panasonic video capabilities are rather unique, although they don't offer anything near 120fps in a compact body.
That one is easy- m4/3rds will have better IQ, period. The question here is more: " is the IQ enough for what you want/need." Given my work with the Pentax Q7, the answer for myself seems to be "it sure seems it's good enough."

In fact, if Pentax/Ricoh released an F1.0 prime for the Q7 I think I would be set, and I wouldn't be looking. I don't have much trouble using the Q7 well in daylight. At night it becomes more trying, even then I have gotten some shots. So I am thinking a Nikon 1 giving say 1- 1.3 stops better than Q in lower light, along with a faster prime would pass the "minimum to do some nice work I consider good enough" - but it goes back to the issue I mentioned on size vs m4/3rds.

I'm rathe happy with what I have at the moment, but it would be fun to try :)
I will say I absolutely love the Ricoh GR. The only reason I am looking at this is because I am not a wide angle photographer, and while the Ricoh GR crop modes help a lot here, the most "tele" mode is a 47mm. I think I would be happy if I can touch 150mm (which Nikon 1 system is currently missing but at least it does 85mm).

(yes I am discounting the zooms, I am talking about the primes because I want to make sure I could use it for the night).

So what's holding me back from m4/3rds?

EM-1 - concluded not interested, though if I found myself doing a lot of weddings I wouldn't mind picking one up. Too big for what I want. Not a super fan of the ergonomics (though better than E-3/E-5). And no leaf shutter or e-shutter (this is a key requirement for me now).

GM1 - horrible camera to use. I really really ended up hating it.

GX7 - this one is the big question. Why I haven't picked this up. I think it just didn't feel quite right when I did. Also I found it a bit bigger than what I want.

Olympus EM-10- I would have picked one up if Olympus had an e-shutter option, but they don't yet.

That also points to another problem in the Nikon 1 system... do I go for one now only to find Panasonic does the GM2 and does it right? This is why I am looking for key Nikon 1 advantages.

- Ricardo

raist3d

My frustration in pictures (Note: I edited the lens to attach to the V3 in the CameraSize website, Nikon 1 V3 is the camera in the middle):

- Ricardo

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Ricardo - the IQ from the Nikon 1 is astonishingly good. I have the EPL-5 and Lumix G6 and prefer the Nikon files by far.
This is not just an issue of pixel peeping - the image just looks really good. I think it's a combination of sensor size and quality coupled with excellent lens quality. I have the V2 and the J1 now, but started with the V1. I have most of the lenses.
Much of the appeal to me has to do with the incredible depth of field with this system. I am traveling now and my prime cameras are the Fuji X-T1 and X-Pro1, but my V2 is with me and gets as much usage as the Fujis.
Difficult to see how I could have got this tricky one with another camera. (J1 with 10mm prime)

Keith

PS I won't be running out to get the V3 at that price - I wait until Nikon puts them into deep discount.

Last edited:

raist3d

Hi Woodmancy, thanks for pitching in.

I examined several RAW files for the V2 model and I am not convinced the IQ is better than latest sensors like the EPL5. But I don't care about that- what I do care is if the camera size is going to effectively be what an EPL5 class camera is, because if the lenses are not smaller, then I don't know why I would pick one up.

IT has a lot of what I want- electronic shutter, small sized camera, fast operation (it seems). I have to still pick and hold a V3 to make sure the ergonomics make sense but so far what I see looks great. And I love the articulated LCD.

But I still can't help but wonder, why bother if the system is going to be about the same size of a m43ds one? If I was a sports photographer or a bird photographer then I see a clear win. For my street photography it's not that I don't think this camera is not capable, it's that I am not seeing what advantage it gives me over a m4/3rds with e-shutter (say a GX7 or a GM2 when that comes out if Panasonic did it right).

- Ricardo

PS: I would just keep using my Q7 if Pentax game me an f1.0 prime.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me the 1V3 is overall the smaller package compared to m43. Sure there are m43 models which are small, but then I think I would prefer the V3 handling (from what I can tell from the pictures we have seen) - but true judgement can only be made once the camera is there.

WRT IQ and, I had the V1 and IQ from this small little camera was just astonishing. I have little doubt, the V3 will be at least the same, just with 18MP resolution, which is another issue I have with m43 - they stumble around with 16MP now since the GH2 - more than 3 sears ago! So I do not see the real progress there.

But one of the most appealing parts of the V3 is the direct compatibility with the Nikon system, which I am in and own quite some interesting lenses, especially the 2.8/70-200 VRII which I love. Will give a 2.8/540 on the V3. Or the 80-400 VRII which I am lusting to buy - would end up in a 5.6//1080 on the V3. Which combined with the fast AF and AF tracking is wonderful for wildlife. And now with 18MP this almost means heaven :D

And if you compare the sizes, well then the V3 wins - not by much but at least minimum size is there!

Still need to hold it in hands and see how it feels, before I finally decide ...

raist3d

For me the 1V3 is overall the smaller package compared to m43. Sure there are m43 models which are small, but then I think I would prefer the V3 handling (from what I can tell from the pictures we have seen) - but true judgement can only be made once the camera is there.
I agree overall counting the zooms in, it will be smaller, but since the zooms to me are slow, and I rather shoot primes that are faster, I am focusing on those key focal lengths. Still I agree I am doing a particular setup for me, so I can see someone doing day sports or birding can see a clear win with the system with the zooms.

I also agree the handling looks more promising. I ended up hating the GM1 for this, and I am sure this one will handle better (because it's really impossible to do it that bad :) ).

WRT IQ and, I had the V1 and IQ from this small little camera was just astonishing. I have little doubt, the V3 will be at least the same, just with 18MP resolution, which is another issue I have with m43 - they stumble around with 16MP now since the GH2 - more than 3 sears ago! So I do not see the real progress there.
Eh, 16 MP to 18 MP is nothing. IT's virtually the same resolution, and the quality of the pixels will be better in m4/3rds so 16 MP m4/3rds sensor will still outdo this one.

That shouldn't read I think this one will do bad or is bad.

But one of the most appealing parts of the V3 is the direct compatibility with the Nikon system, which I am in and own quite some interesting lenses, especially the 2.8/70-200 VRII which I love. Will give a 2.8/540 on the V3. Or the 80-400 VRII which I am lusting to buy - would end up in a 5.6//1080 on the V3. Which combined with the fast AF and AF tracking is wonderful for wildlife. And now with 18MP this almost means heaven :D
Yes, if you want to use the camera lenses, agreed. I have no interest in that since to me that defeats the purpose of the small system, but I can see people who want a lot of telephoto and have the DSLR Nikon lenses go for that.

And if you compare the sizes, well then the V3 wins - not by much but at least minimum size is there!

Still need to hold it in hands and see how it feels, before I finally decide ...
The last sentence I completely agree with. There's only so much we can go by fantasy and holding a camera may give a certain feel or epiphany that is the final decision on liking or hating.

- Ricardo

raist3d

So a little bird I trust a bit told me that m4/3rds does a lot of software corrections for a lot of their lenses (knew about that), but that Nikon tries to go for optical corrections, hence the Nikon 1 system is supposed to be sharper corner to corner. I can see that to some extent in the F1.2 lens, not sure about the others.

I am having mixed feelings still, but I may just pre-order and test to get it out of the way and know whether this is it or not. If it works, I keep and sell most of everything else I have.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So a little bird I trust a bit told me that m4/3rds does a lot of software corrections for a lot of their lenses (knew about that), but that Nikon tries to go for optical corrections, hence the Nikon 1 system is supposed to be sharper corner to corner. I can see that to some extent in the F1.2 lens, not sure about the others.

I am having mixed feelings still, but I may just pre-order and test to get it out of the way and know whether this is it or not. If it works, I keep and sell most of everything else I have.

- Ricardo
That's interesting. There are a few m4/3 lenses that, as far as I know, are not corrected in software, like the 75mm f/1.8 and I believe one or all of the Leica lenses. Interestingly, those are all among my favourites (I only own one of them though). One that is heavily corrected is the Panasonic 7-14mm, and while it's a good lens, it does lose resolution towards the edges.

raist3d

Well.... ouch!

I know Dxo is not going to be the end all be all of a camera as a whole, but when you are charging $1,200 USD, you expect close to best in its class....

- Ricardo