The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 1 V3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Sony is a p&s, the Nikons are system cameras. Yes, the V3 is expensive, but it's also in a totally different class altogether.

raist3d

Looking at the individual measurements on the graph, the Nikon 1 V3 starts to pull ahead of the G16/CoolPix 7800 starting ISO 400. So it will look better on average, than the raw scores at first would suggest.

- Ricardo

A lot more to a camera then what DXo says or what is written on paper.
The Nikon 1 prime lenses are a good better then the zoom and it handles more like a camera then the little Sony.
IMHO
Robert

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, a P&S sensor is beating a very expensive system's camera.

- Ricardo
The very expensive system camera can mount an f/1.2 portrait lens. That is 4 stops faster than the Sony at the equivalent focal length. When the V3 is at ISO 400, the Sony will be at ISO 6400.

raist3d

The very expensive system camera can mount an f/1.2 portrait lens. That is 4 stops faster than the Sony at the equivalent focal length. When the V3 is at ISO 400, the Sony will be at ISO 6400.
But the Sony DR still doesn't change. There will be situations where the Sony IQ will pull ahead in spite of the lens saddled with.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But the Sony DR still doesn't change. There will be situations where the Sony IQ will pull ahead in spite of the lens saddled with.

- Ricardo
Yes, the Sony DR will change... dramatically. At ISO 6400, according to DxO, DR is just 7 on the Sony while it's 10 on the V3 at ISO 400

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
All comparing apples with oranges :D
All comparisons are apples to oranges in reality. Few people go to the grocery store asking themselves: I wonder if I should buy apples or apples today, unless they have planned to bake an apple pie. There are many ways to fill a stomach, and most of them work, but some are more satisfying than others on any given day. Although apples may taste better on Monday, it might be oranges on Wednesday, even though the stomach is the same and the setting is the same also.

It's not only horses for courses, it's sometimes about a different user experience and a desire to achieve a different result.

raist3d

Yes, the Sony DR will change... dramatically. At ISO 6400, according to DxO, DR is just 7 on the Sony while it's 10 on the V3 at ISO 400
You missed my point. In good daylight the Sony will pull ahead, so that will cover a lot (most) of daylight shots (precisely the situations where you usually need the most DR btw.). At night you can put a fast prime on the Nikon. Or shoot the sony at 1.8.

I never said the Sony will "win hands down" or such thing. I am merely pointing out it's disappointed that both sensors being 1'' (and Sony being even a notch higher resolution), the Sony is doing better here.

For the record- I picked an RX100 MKII and returned it within 45 minutes. Horrible usability, horrible way of working, menus lagged a bit (I was used to the Q7 which is pretty fast with nice ergonomics here). So yes, on that alone the Nikon 1 V3 is more appealing to me (since I rather not even touch that Sony).

Just pointing out, that even though the full camera, I would prefer the Nikon to use, it's not for the sensor, and it just makes the high price feel - well- very overpriced. Hell even the Q7 will do better DR at the lowest ISO in good light, hopefully not richer color!

That's all.

- Ricardo

raist3d

All comparisons are apples to oranges in reality. Few people go to the grocery store asking themselves: I wonder if I should buy apples or apples today, unless they have planned to bake an apple pie. There are many ways to fill a stomach, and most of them work, but some are more satisfying than others on any given day. Although apples may taste better on Monday, it might be oranges on Wednesday, even though the stomach is the same and the setting is the same also.

It's not only horses for courses, it's sometimes about a different user experience and a desire to achieve a different result.
That is very true, but even if farmer Nikon is the only one selling BlueBerry pies (and I like BlueBerries more than any other berry) but is charging 5 times the price of a strawberry pie you can't just help but scratch your head, because you heard in down south people pay for a blue berry pie about as much as the strawberry pie - and even though those blueberry pies down south come in smaller portions they are fresher.

How's that for analogies :)

My thoughts here are not because I hate the idea the Nikon 1 V3 seems to represent. It's more frustration that Nikon has to price it so high and have these areas a bit lacking vs what you see a 1'' type sensor can do. Nothing more than that.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I mostly agree, Ricardo, and I do think that Nikon would make more money if they more or less gave away the bodies. People would need lenses. Now they are buying neither.