So got a call that they had it, and they had one and only. Went for it. More impressions coming later. For now...
- excellent build / feel
- UI as I expected is much better than what I had seen before in the Nikon 1 family
- well built quality buttons (finally!) - another reason why I was interested in it vs previous cameras
- You may know this but not all micro SD cards or memory is liked by Nikons. A Belkin card they had just did not work. Look for the brands (Sandisk, Lexar I guess)
- In good light as expected the camera focuses ridiculously fast (note: have not tried moving subjects)
- Weights more than a Ricoh GR
- Lens is fly by wire zoom, not a power zoom (was expecting more like a "rocker") but works. Extends fast, closes fast on turn off
- Using LR 5.4 right now to check on IQ (more on that later tonight- late)
- Will be getting an FT1 adapter if I keep (but it was TAXED as a sale, which is how these weird offers work at retail)
- LCD seems pretty nice to see in sun (have not tried stressful daylight conditions though)
- Contrast AF is not anywhere near as fast as the PDAF + contrast, seems at least as fast as the Q7.
- Using a 30MG micro disk San Disk card, an NEF + JPEG shooting, the files take a couple of seconds to save. If you fire away several shots, you will see the camera saving a shot (green light on) with a small green light off pause. The camera does have a big buffer but if you take say like 20 shots and you turn it off, the camera will continue saving all the shots before actually turn off and that point it blocks operation (you can't quickly go back to ON).
- Dials feel right- but I do not understand why since the camera already has two dials, Nikon had to add the 4-button+dial deal. I rather would have immensely preferred four buttons and just the front dial and upper dial. I don't understand this. I don't see what advantage this brings (and do I hate those wheels).
Bought it on the condition to return if it doesn't work for what I want. I will k now by tomorrow morning if I am keeping or not.
One more surprise I didn't expect- apparently the Camera can use the Nikon J2 batteries I think it is? So it's not a completely all new Nikon 1 V3 battery only (that's good).