The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I love DSLR

mmbma

I took a break from DSLR for a long time for all the reasons we love mirrorless: light, discreet, cheap, etc.

But I shot a D3x last week and boy, what a revelation! Didn't have to worry about battery life, about slow focus, about small EVF, about buffer, about anything. just took the camera and shot. And the results came out as what I envisioned.

Yes, my shoulder is still sore, but I'm seriously thinking about getting back to DSLR again.

Steve P.

I couldn't agree more. And if you want the advantages of DSLR without so much weight, consider a D610 with f1.8 af-s G primes, or even the lovely Voigtlander 40mm f2 Ultron for an even smaller footprint. I love mine so much I just bought the 28mm f2.8 pancake to go with it. No backache when you're carrying an empty wallet!:facesmack:

mmbma

thanks. I'm going to snatch up a used D800 after the D810 gets released. they'll probably be even cheaper by then

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I love SLR

:thumbup:

I'm pretty sure the electronic viewfinder concept is where we are heading, but until then I enjoy the good old optical through-the-lens viewfinder.

Nothing beats that experience, it's like viewing a scenery through a clean window pane or in a binocular instead of on a television, and you even do not have to turn it on.

gurtch

Electronic viewfinders are over rated to me. I am on my third different system (presently A7r), but when I envision doing "serious stuff" I use my DSLRs. Several days ago, we were traveling, and I used my A7r that is usually always in the car trunk (for this, it is great). I was on the beach, in bright light. I am left eyed, and must shoot one handed, so my left hand can shield and cup the finder; even then, it is VERY hard for me to see the screen in bright day light. Add to this, I had focus peaking on HIGH, which made the already hard to see finder a night mare of white jaggies over everything making composition difficult. Turn focus peaking OFF? The light was so bright, I could not see the menu screens at all. I gave up. When I returned home, I fondled my D800e. I also use a Pentax 646D, and Sony Alpha 900, which I am afraid to sell, because I have the excellent Sony Zeiss and G lenses, along with Minolta legacy glass. I held onto these, as I kept waiting for a Sony A mount DSLR with 36 mp sensor to replace the A900. I got tired of waiting, and got the Nikon D800e. Makes no sense having four systems, but I am retired, and an amateur having fun.
Regards to all
Dave in NJ

Godfrey

Electronic viewfinders are over rated to me. I am on my third different system (presently A7r), but when I envision doing "serious stuff" I use my DSLRs. Several days ago, we were traveling, and I used my A7r that is usually always in the car trunk (for this, it is great). I was on the beach, in bright light. I am left eyed, and must shoot one handed, so my left hand can shield and cup the finder; even then, it is VERY hard for me to see the screen in bright day light. ...
That's a matter of EVF implementation. I have both A7 and Olympus E-M1: the E-M1 is a much better implementation, although the two EVFs are similar in most other ways.

I find focus peaking to be much overhyped. It is useful, but magnification (with a sensible way to return to seeing the full view) is much better for most focusing needs. I almost never turn peaking on anymore, with either camera. That said, I have peaking on the A7 set to the down arrow. I can turn it on and off by feel. :)

I do understand the good mojo of a fine SLR viewfinder, however. That's why I have two Nikon Fs and two Leicaflex SLs here. I have not found their equal in a DSLR that isn't so bloated and heavy, I just won't carry anything as big and clumsy as a D800 much. That's why I bought the A7 and E-M1 ... Both bodies are in the size/weight class of my favorite Nikon FM series cameras.

G

gurtch

A Nikon FM size body with full frame 36 mp sensor would be a game changer for me. Same thing in Sony A mount.
Dave

sagar

I am another convert. After trying nearly all mirrorless, I am back to DSLR with Nikon DF.
It feels so much at home and to an extent I now get it why CaNikon is not into the game yet. I think they will eventually enter but only when they can address key performance issues around AF, EVF and Battery

Paratom

even though I like the EM1 for its speed and nice lens options and small size of most lenses I am one of those who agrees that DSLR do have some major advantages in regards of viewfinder, AF plus sensor size.

Godfrey

I love my E-1. I wish it had the E-M1 sensor and operating speed.
But even if it did, the E-M1 would be more versatile and is even more compact.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
EVF's will get better, and probably sooner than later. When they become "transparent" we'll have found nirvana with all the possible permutations of informative electronic overlays we can have displayed.

EVF's will get better, and probably sooner than later. When they become "transparent" we'll have found nirvana with all the possible permutations of informative electronic overlays we can have displayed.
Exactly. If you take a step back and think about it, the dslr is pretty preposterous Rube Goldberg kind of invention. The whole mirror box thing is really ridiculous!

Don't get me wrong ... I've switched to a dslr for all my work. In the past I've used 4x5 and hasselblad film cameras, and have little use for them now.

But the writing is on the wall for the whole slr concept. When digital viewfinders get as good as optical ones, and become efficient enough that battery capacity isn't an issue, no one will look back. The instant improvement in lenses will be the real triumph ... without the need for extreme retrofocus designs, we will be in hog heaven. And we'll likely enter an age of every company's lens working (with adapters) with every company's cameras.

I don't know when this will happen, and I'm not holding my breath. In the mean time I'm counting my blessings with the goofy dslr (which, to be fair, is also a kind of miracle). But the day will come.

segedi

I took two separate looks at the new Sony RX100 III and walked away both times. I just can't get used to EVFs. Df, D810 or a Canon. But I'm waiting until Fall to get anything... Going to try to shoot through half my film until then and probably later.