The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F4 Travel lens: Nikkor 24-120 or Sigma Art 24-105?

mmbma

I got a nikon 24-120 as part of a kit. I can say it's pretty good, not outstanding, especially at the wide end.
I wonder if the Sigma Art 24-105 is better? Anyone has any experience with both?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The two lenses are very similar. I think you'll find that if you already own one (and it's a good copy), there is little reason to switch to the other.

Personally I own the Nikkor, it is one of my main travel lenses and almost always on the camera for daytime snapshot use simply because it is so versatile. I made this image with it shortly after first getting it -- handheld at 1/25th, f8 for max dof with limited diffraction, and the 24mm setting. The IS does a credible job as the file is very sharp at the focus point of the nearest window. Arguably though, it's the *worst* lens in my bag, yet still sees a lot of use while traveling. This image prints outstandingly well at 24 inches. (Oh, the original D800 file is not fully blown at the window, nor is it fully clipped in the shadows!):

tashley

Subscriber Member
They are quite similar.. IMHO the Sigma, based on a couple of days shooting with only one copy, was quite good but has a very rapid and inelegant falloff to severe blur in the full frame far corners. Mine was only slightly decentered. It had a very nice look. The Nikkor, I had several copies and they were all asymmetrical even after repair - but it was still a fairly good lens. If it were me I'd go for the 24-70 f 2.8 because I've tried them all and it's the best, but it is also a beast. Otherwise I'm with Jack: the 24-120 is so useful, and generally pretty sharp, that eve though it can't meet the demands of the sensor across the frame, it is still good enough and often really good, and for the price and weight it's a very reasonable choice.