The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest in the D810?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After reading through all the great improvements of the 810 I come to the conclusion that I just will keep my 800E. I almost never do video and I am already pretty happy with the AF of the 800E, so there is not much incentive left to loose money on changing bodies. At least not for now!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I look at cameras like this now and think 'dinosaurs'.

LouisB
Compared to mirror less they are like dinosaurs. But unfortunately these dinosaurs are still better performing in many situations, especially AF wise.

But I am confident this will change over the next few years.

Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Compared to mirror less they are like dinosaurs. But unfortunately these dinosaurs are still better performing in many situations, especially AF wise.

But I am confident this will change over the next few years.

Peter
Need to look at the A77II for 1200 dollars when it comes to AF. Its about the most functional AF I have ever had in my hands and it works. I never seen focus tracking go literally across the frame with 79 AF points it just about hits anything in sight and you can lock on and it will follow whatever it is.

M

mjr

They are all just tools, some will inspire one group of people and others will inspire a different group, it's not really a competition. Pick what you like and enjoy it, there's no such thing as a perfect camera for the masses but for this individual, I'll stick with the dinosaur!

Arne Hvaring

Where does it actually say that the mangled LV of the preceding generation is improved? Not, AFA I can tell, in Nikon's press release.

Paul2660

I was surprised no wifi, as that's pretty standard now. There are a lot of applications where wifi can really help out, especially if you want to fire remotely, the Canon 6D setup with Canon app for the apple or android OS is very nice indeed.

LV improved, would sure be nice, it will be interesting to see just what "improved" means, maybe not allowing the focus at 100% to be worthless? at least to me, where I always back off 3 to really use it. There won't be focus peaking without a EVF as far as I understand it.

Sony has a lot of the answers out there, but as an owner of a lot of Nikon glass, I don't want to use it in Manual only (A7r) and Sony refuses to create/make/license a true intervalometer. Their timelaspe app, is tied to the 30 seconds max of the shutter, you can't use it in bulb mode. For creation of a timelape video, 30 seconds is Ok, but for stacking for night photography, 30 seconds will rarely fit the shooting scenario.

I like the new base iso of 64, and a bit faster frame rate with the grip. The sRaw is not like Canon's in that it appears you don't keep all the raw info, it's more of an abridged file, almost like a jpg.

Early reviews should be out soon, as it will interesting to see what the the initial impressions are.

Paul

Where does it actually say that the mangled LV of the preceding generation is improved? Not, AFA I can tell, in Nikon's press release.
This, for me, is the only significant disappointment in the d800. We'll have to wait for reviews to see if they've improved it. Much of the work I've done with my d800 in the last year required live view in low light. I've found ways to work with it, but it's almost always a bummer. I've spent minutes trying to focus in some situations.

The useless implementation of user modes is also bewildering. I can't help thinking this could be fixed with a firmware update. But there isn't much history of Nikon offering that kind of user interface improvement.

The 810 looks nice, but at first glance nothing that would tempt me to upgrade.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I will surely go for at least one 810.
I do not find live-view a disappointment, since when I am in low light situations, I just use the normal viewfinder and its focus works really really well.
Give it a rest, I never saw live-view to be a benefit really except in a view camera, then if you could, please remember how it was like focusing at f/22.
Anyway, there electronic widgets are subject to a lll the usual forces of engineering, which is incremental refinement.
The focus sensor does a better job anyway in low-light conditions which the computed contract-focus cannot match, Use it for composition if you must, but the viewfinder works even better.
Now for those who shoot video, highlight striping in live-vire is really HOT.
-bob

ohnri

Waiting to see the Sony A99 upgrade.

I think it will probably easily replace my D800 but I am not so sure about my D4.

Time will tell.

-Bill

weinschela

Subscriber Member
If I didn't already have a D800e I would be interested, but do not see enough in the 810 to make it worthwhile. There is nothing in the D800e that bothers me. Its files are terrific, and having switched back to Nikon from a 5Dii I have no regrets.
Even including wifi would not be enough to shift. Some discernable real-world improvement in IQ at normal ISOs would but it is the same sensor. I would like to see comparisons between D800e and its quasi lack of AA filter vs. D810 with physical lack of AA filter. I'll bet that it is going to be pretty tough to tell them apart.

Mark K

It seems that this will be announced sometime next week, as the update for both the D800 and D800e.

From what I have read, it seems that it will have a bit better DR, in the higher iso range, somewhat faster frame rate, 1 fps, but I noticed that a "small raw" is being mentioned. This would be a nice feature as in some cases I am not in need of a full 36MP sized file, mainly in night work.

It seems it won't have wifi built in which was surprising to me as this seems to be pretty standard now on all modern bodies.

Current claim is that the body will be lighter also.

Build will be in Thailand, not Japan.

As far as I can tell announcement date is the 26th of June.

Paul
Current price of D800 is only 40% of what I paid two three years back. The faster FPS, quieter shutter is definitely desired. I personally am very interested to get one using my D800 as a backup...unless there is an imminent announcement of D400

Mark K

I will probably shift out the D800 and shift-in an 810.
I usually travel light with a Df and it is very nice for low light.
Just to show you how lazy I am, it is usually with one or two lenses and that is that.
If it had built-in GPS, the 810 might displace the Df in that role
If the focusing goes D4s level, that would do it for me, but on just one body.
The D800e for all practical purposes has performed just about as well as I could have expected.
-bob
Bob, maybe you should look into A7s which has everything else you need

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mark,

At present is there a good adapter that allows us to use AF and AE on our Nikon lenses on an A7x camera body? I cannot find one. Canon yes, Nikon no... It's a deal breaker for me.

Paul2660

Mark,

At present is there a good adapter that allows us to use AF and AE on our Nikon lenses on an A7x camera body? I cannot find one. Canon yes, Nikon no... It's a deal breaker for me.
Huge deal breaker for me also. No adapter allows for AF with Nikon on the A7r that I can find.

Then there is the issue of no intervalometer (wired) that allows for interval shooting longer than 30 seconds. Even bigger issue for me.

Paul

JohnBrew

My photographer friend in Italy can't wait to get his hands on the D810. I specifically went out and shot my D800 today with the Zeiss 55 1.4 attached. Seriously, it doesn't get much better than this. Besides, at the moment my upgrade path is more towards an M240, then I'll address whether or not the D810 is something I can't do without.