The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest in the D810?

vjbelle

I'm very tempted but in the end it would still be 36MP which is somewhat limiting for me. I'm always printing to at least 36 inches and 40 is common. I need all the pixels I can get my hands on. It may not seem like much but 50MP is a fair leap from 36 for printing purposes. All of the files have to be upsampled (even 80MP files) for these print sizes and from my perspective 50MP has a clear advantage over 36..... enough so to wait for the next incarnation.

Victor

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If I see the need for 36MP in the future, I'll probably get one in addition to or instead of my D700. The combination m4/3 and Nikon FX seems to work very well for me, so GH3/4 and D700/810 is what I'm aiming at. Any word of buffer size when shooting RAW bursts?
This has gone under my radar until now:
Apparently, the buffer size of the D810 is around double that of the D800/E. That makes an ocean of difference and means that this camera can be used for action/sports even at full resolution. 47 frames RAW, 12 bit lossless compressed FX images seems to be the limit, which is very impressive. In DX mode it's even more. It seems to be time for me to start stacking pennies on top of each other :D

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d810-buffer-size

woodyspedden

This might just be the final push to get me to buy a D800e! There should be a few around for good prices.
Jono

I was just able to get a D800e for $1800 in almost perfect condition

Seems to me that unless you do a lot of video or you fancy the incremental improvements of the D810, buying a used D800E is simply a better (more economical choice).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jono

Seems to me that unless you do a lot of video or you fancy the incremental improvements of the D810, buying a used D800E is simply a better (more economical choice).
Perfect summary Woody! ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono

The video is only part of it. The huge buffer and much faster processing makes the D810 a much better all round camera and a suitable replacement for the D300 and D700. For that, the D800/E wasn't even close. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot sport with the this camera.

As far as I can see, the D810 is more or less the only camera I need. I don't think I have been able to say that about a digital camera before.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The video is only part of it. The huge buffer and much faster processing makes the D810 a much better all round camera and a suitable replacement for the D300 and D700. For that, the D800/E wasn't even close. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot sport with the this camera.

As far as I can see, the D810 is more or less the only camera I need. I don't think I have been able to say that about a digital camera before.
The D810 is indeed one of the best DSLRs available today. For sure much better in many areas than the D800/D800E was. This cannot be measured just with ISO, DR, MP count etc .... this is a combination of how the D810 was improved in a very sensible way - buffer size, speed, shutter vibration, silent shutter, ergonomics etc.

I handled one several weeks ago and having been a D800E shooter for 3 years I clearly preferred the D810 in an instant! Would I go back into DSLR I would do with a D810 - nothing else.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you shoot from a tripod for landscape or architecture, the differences in usability become nominal. Granted that D810 Live View is superior, but it isn't "necessary" to make excellent images in a controlled shooting environment. I own both, and even for shooting models, I don't find a huge advantage to the 810 speed or convenience wise. But I am talking a value proposition of "cost per IQ quotient."

But for action sports, yes for sure, the 810 is king. Also, if you're only going to buy one body, the 810 is also pretty compelling -- I cannot argue with Jorgen that if I were to only own one body, the 810 would be it, added cost aside.

Hulyss Bowman

I tried it some weeks ago, just few hours. I didn't addressed all the functionality but this is a refined camera. I think it is what should have been the D800 since the start. I use the D800 so extensively that the first thing I noticed was the AWB. The D810 have the best AWB of all Nikon gear I ever used (apart film).

On location, trust me, it is a game changer because you can almost skip custom AWB.

I may buy one ... or not. I wait. I'm one of those rare strains, immune against GAS :D

2015 might be an interesting year... or not. But I wait till I find a perfect alignment of gear.

Brands molested us badly during the last 3/4 years. Nikon, Canon, Sigma... Look like they lost their seriousness. On the side way you have Sony, Samsung (yes !), Fujifilm (!), Pentax (645) .......

This is a war, my friends, and we are right in the middle of it. Better way to wait a bit imo.

But without contest, the D810 is actually the most advanced 35mm DSLR.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D810 have the best AWB of all Nikon gear I ever used (apart film).
If I'm not happy with the white balance, I just pull out the F6. The white balance of Tri-X is rather consistent :D

Jokes aside, there's one thing that I've been thinking about lately:
I've been using mirrorless cameras for the last five years. They were advanced, little technical wonders then, and they are advanced little wonders now. It's easy to be blinded by the electronic wizardry of cameras like the GH4, the A7 II and the NX1. But that was to be expected. They are computers, and computers develop at the speed of light. Today's miracle is tomorrow's turd.

But one of the biggest assets of these cameras, the electronic viewfinder, has developed little. They have become sharper, brighter and faster, but it's still a bit like looking at TV; I'm watching yesterday's news all over again. What happens in the viewfinder is what happened in the real world a fraction of a second ago. Sometimes, that is not good enough for me to make a "click decision".

While things are happening or not happening in the mirrorless world, things are clearly happening in the old, reflective universe. Remember the D90 or the D300s, Nikon's first attempts of cameras that can shoot video? The D300s was 5 years ago also. Try comparing it with what Nikon offers today. Or the D3s, the sports wonder, which managed bursts of 43 compressed 12MP RAW files. That was in 2009 also. The D810 manages 47 files, 36MP files, although at roughly half the pace and half the price.

The AF of mirrorless has improved a lot, but surprisingly, so has the AF of DSLR cameras, and anybody who has tried to shoot motorsports at night with both kinds of cameras knows that there's no comparison. My ancient D2Xs runs circles around any electronic wonder out there.

Many talk about Canikon as they were left in the middle ages with the clunky, old click-clack cameras, but I'm impressed with them and with Nikon in particular. They will launch an FX mirrorless when they're ready. I'm sure it will be a good one. In the meantime, there are alternatives to play with, but at this stage of development, DSLR technology is still an important pillar of photography. So now we have two pillars plus Leica. Can't be bad, can it?

Last edited:

jonoslack

Many talk about Canikon as they were left in the middle ages with the clunky, old click-clack cameras, but I'm impressed with them and with Nikon in particular.
We went to the Nature Photographer of the Year at the Natural History Museum today. Of several hundred pictures there was 1 with a Phase, 1 with a Hasselblad and all the rest with Canikon. The D800/810 was the clear winner. Not a single shot with a Mirrorless camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
We went to the Nature Photographer of the Year at the Natural History Museum today. Of several hundred pictures there was 1 with a Phase, 1 with a Hasselblad and all the rest with Canikon. The D800/810 was the clear winner. Not a single shot with a Mirrorless camera.
Interesting Jono, this can be true and I even believe it is.

BUT if I remember right you were the one who said long time ago you would not go back to a Nikon because of size and weight and you prefer the size of mirror-less cameras like EM5 instead? Which BTW I fully subscribe.

I owned a D800E over the past 3 years and while an excellent camera it almost never was with me because of size and weight, while my EM1 and XT1 are used and carried frequently. Plus I have done some semi-pro shoots lately with both systems and can only say WOW - IQ, AF speed and handling/ergonomics became very much same level than the top DSLR guns, plus as mirror-less cameras they offer the big advantage of WYSIWYG, meanwhile in both models in real time.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Interesting Jono, this can be true and I even believe it is.

BUT if I remember right you were the one who said long time ago you would not go back to a Nikon because of size and weight and you prefer the size of mirror-less cameras like EM5 instead? Which BTW I fully subscribe.
Oh Peter - I was only making an observation - I was surprised because I thought that lots of people would take advantage of the very obvious size benefits shooting wildlife with µ43 - apparently not - either that or wildlife photographers are a conservative bunch!.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Oh Peter - I was only making an observation - I was surprised because I thought that lots of people would take advantage of the very obvious size benefits shooting wildlife with µ43 - apparently not - either that or wildlife photographers are a conservative bunch!.
I agree - and I must say for myself I might go back to FF one day, but then only if the special purpose requires - and so far I do no longer really see this. Size advantage of m43 is definitely one of the biggest attractions. Having shot the EM1 with grip over last weekend at events in churches I only can say this is an absolutely top performing PRO combo with (Olympus) m43 glass.

Plus I am very sure that the next incarnation of sensors (m43 sensors) will bring performance and resolution up to a level which makes the differences to APSC or even FF almost negligible (think also that I do not consider to need more than 24MP even for landscape).

Hulyss Bowman

I suppressed all FX cameras from my personal vault. Even the D700 will go for sale today.
The 35mm market is not coherent in term of quality and professionalism. I mean, I do not care if the device is expensive but we reached a threshold.

I re-jumped in the APS-C world with a bit of fear over my products but no fear is needed especially on Fuji. Got the XT-1 + the best primes and have a lot of fun + lot of keepers. I loose the 35mm transitions BUT not that much and sometimes not really.

The XT-1 will have full electronic shutter this month >> no more mechanic attrition >> it make this camera a very durable device as well as the A7s.

So, throwing my ff gear was a very difficult choice but a wise one actually. My photo rendering don't changed at all, I only took some learning on C1 pro 8 and thrown lightroom. A total re-adaptation, a total new workflow. This costed me one week but the results are encouraging, very.

So I stay with the Fuji system till a company churn out something who really worth the money invested. This is not the case actually.

Nikon Body are "ok" (we wanted D4 sensor in d800 body) but the lens line in old and stagnating.

fuji and others are building brand new tech and especially brand new very good lenses. So far the 56f1.2 is one of the best lenses I ever owned and I owned some. Add the ruggedness + weather sealing + grip and you have an APS-C champ.

Hope sony will bring a pro camera without concession at a correct price. My little finger tell me that they will do it because the A7 are utter crap in handling and design and menu.

I use the A7r of my mother sometimes and this is a toy, especially to summon things like AF and other things (without speaking about the noise of the shutter). The Grip of the A7r is a vast clumsy joke. The one of the A7II is far better and , at least, on par with the XT-1 grip which is awesome. The only thing in the A7r who worth consideration is the price and the sensor.

I try to put some kind of hopes in some brands but this is lost battle. SO waiting and adapting is the best thing to do right now.

A compact fixed lens MF from Phase one ?? A revolutionary camera from Sony ?? Big boys got me tired, very tired at a professional level. They Lie, They hype things, there is no real advancement and the goal is to suck your money. Sigma joking us with blatant lie on resolution, using a poor sensor (this is the correct wording : poor) killing this unique aspect of the brand ... I tried, by my discontent, to bring professional informations, to rant, because things have changed in the worst way possible.

Without insulting anybody (just being ranter), I got banned for ever from the DPreview Sigma Forum by a utter nazi jerk who told me that ranting about SIGMA is not allowed (and also because my comments attract some likes too).

I hope I will not get banned from here because I do not agree with a brand !! ;)

To be very clear, I do not want to see those pompous amateurs, technician fly f***ers from DPreview layering the sect on GetDPI so we might see some sparks in the SIGMA forum.

Sorry for my Wednesday rant, a bit out of the subject :D

I just want a digital Mamyia 7ii

AlexLF

I've been talking for years about mini Linhof Techno like camera with 36mm sensor and high-end primes. I'm sure I'd be not alone buying this camera and lenses!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. I'm sure I will miss it sometimes, but right now, I'm thrilled. Can't wait to take the new Nikon out for a spin the coming weekend :)