The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest in the D810?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. I'm sure I will miss it sometimes, but right now, I'm thrilled. Can't wait to take the new Nikon out for a spin the coming weekend :)
Jorgen,

I am sure you will enjoy your D810 - I also enjoyed my D800E which I am missing from time to time ;)

But you know, one can always go to a store and buy it agin :D

Peter

segedi

A D810 or D750 is certainly in my future. I've already acquired a small collection of Nikon lenses!

The size and weight are offset by using it for situations that I feel DSLRs to be the most competent device that I feel the most comfortable using. The OVF and lightening fast, accurate AF are too important to me in some situations.

For the slower moments, the Leica's work just fine.

JCT

D810 is here (got a good deal on a very slightly used one), m4/3 is at the shop being sold. I'm sure I will miss it sometimes, but right now, I'm thrilled. Can't wait to take the new Nikon out for a spin the coming weekend :)
That's great - hopefully I am next! Will probably also divest of some of my mirrorless gear, but still enjoy my XT-1 or RXR1 when traveling light. Might go for one of the Nikon refurbs..

On my way to NYC today - visit to B&H planned for tomorrow. I am under very strict instructions to not come home with an D810. But my better half didn't say anything about a Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art :D .

JT

bcf

Wow... Are you really leaving m4/3 behind? Will you use the D810 now for all these marvelous people and travel pics you make? Won't it be too big?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Wow... Are you really leaving m4/3 behind? Will you use the D810 now for all these marvelous people and travel pics you make? Won't it be too big?
Ha ha... you have a point :)

For years, I was using a Fuji S3, then an S5, for travel photography, both around the same size as the D810. But... I did complain loudly about the size and weight... loudly. Now I'm back there again, mostly because I wanted a camera that can do everything I need a camera for, but also because I have quality issues with the m4/3 files that may be nitpicking but that are relevant to me.

It's all about compromise and to find out what is the most important. I rarely give convenience and comfort priority over quality in my life. I shouldn't when it comes to photography. Most of the time, walking the stairs makes more sense than taking the lift :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great phrase... and so true :)

Now why not a D750? Still great, and a more manageable size and weight.
Buffer size mostly. There are many things that I prefer with the D750, the articulated monitor is one, and as you mention; size and weight. But since I will be using the camera for sports among other things, and sometimes run out of steam with my current cameras, the buffer size is very important. I also have an industrial assignment coming up where every pixel will count.

Shutter speed and ISO 32 are also important, to enable the use of large apertures in daylight. The low ISO will also be very useful when doing pan shots of motor sports, to avoid ending up with apertures in excess of 11 when shallower depth of field is what I'm looking for.

If the D810 didn't exist, and the choice was between the D750 and the D800, I would most probably have postponed this and kept my GH3.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is a look to a larger format that is just, well, there... And for whatever it's worth, I like it :D

bcf

Thanks Jorgen, I understand your choice better now. You have very specific needs, which are better served by the D810. Yet what is more, the camera is not limited to these needs - it's really a jack of all trades, and master of most :)

For my own needs, I think I would be better served by the D750 as a successor to my D700. Decisions, decisions...

segedi

Held the D750 and D810 yesterday. The grips were very different. The D810 was almost there but a little too thick. The D750 was deep but a little narrow...

The difference in weight was a bit of a surprise. I knew the D810 was going to be heavier, but it seemed markedly so. I think the D750 is going to win a spot in my bag.

Harry

Can someone point me to some great shots from the D810?
DR seems to be lacking from what I've seen overall online.
There are a couple good shots as with any camera, but overall not impressed.

Reading the DXO ratings and overall hype it is/must be the best. Can someone show me proof?
I have had a D700 / D3X / Phase One P40+in the past and am interested in getting this setup...if not medium format might be my only hope.

Edit... Don't mean to sound like a ** hole... I have always loved Nikon and need a some real world evidence that this is want to buy

Paul2660

Send me an email and I can send you a few raws in my Dropbox account.

Better yet lensrentals has the D810 for rent and they are in your area I believe. Nothing beats a hands on test.

Paul

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Can someone point me to some great shots from the D810?
DR seems to be lacking from what I've seen overall online.

(...)

Harry, could you perhaps be a bit more specific in describing what it is you see or do not see in the D810 files ?

For some years my personal impression has been that modern, digital high end cameras have so much Dynamic Range (DR) that the files now and then look a bit flat, so that sometimes I have found myself adding some pop to the picture by adjusting levels and curves and making sure that the histogram curve hits both walls in the histogram and maybe adding an S-shaped curve if necessary.

I therefore wonder if perhaps that is actually what you are speaking about, that the D8xx files have so much DR that we need to add a more punchy contrast curve ?

In order to judge the DR for yourself I think you need to work with some RAW files, otherwise what you see is just other people's end results with post processing.
There are plenty of links to RAW files in the 'old' Nikon D800 First Blush thread from 2012, and with regards to DR I doubt that it matters all that much if the files are from the 'old' D800 or the new D810.
Or maybe some D810 owners would care to share some links to D810 RAW files ?

I should add that I'm not speaking out of any sort of scientific knowledge here (I'm actually an ignoramus with post processing) but purely out of instinct and from fiddling with RAW files in my own trial-and-error way.
So perhaps I ought to leave this discussion to the adults :p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you shoot a D8xx and if you post said images to the web, you absolutely have to be adding back a goodly portion of black in post lest the images look flat.

Paul2660

Jack, totally agree with you and Steen on that.

Have you tried Topaz Clarity? I discovered about a year ago, and use it now pretty much on all my work, but it does give the D8xx files that pop for sure and can help the IQ Medium format file, but not as much.

I now tend barely touch the clarity slider in LR or C1 and instead run a final process with Clarity from Topaz.

Paul

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you shoot a D8xx and if you post said images to the web, you absolutely have to be adding back a goodly portion of black in post lest the images look flat.
One trick that works rather well also is to use USM with Amount between 10 and 25, Radius around 50 and Threshold 0. It enhances blacks and dark colours as well as giving the photo more "punch". For optimal results, I mostly start with a photo where I've overexposed half a stop or thereabouts (without blowing highlights).

rayyan

Hmmm,

Lifts were invented for a reason. For people like me. I would hate to let them
go to waste.:)

But I do agree..if I need to get a shot....Nikon dslr for me without question.

Most of the time, walking the stairs makes more sense than taking the lift :)

Harry

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes there is a flatness to posted files and also a general lack of sharpness. Seems either everyone is going for artsy OOF or it does not focus very well with shorter lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes there is a flatness to posted files and also a general lack of sharpness. Seems either everyone is going for artsy OOF or it does not focus very well with shorter lenses.
I don't agree on the lack of sharpness. I find the RAW files from the D810 much "sharper" than what I get from any other camera I've owned, so much so that I'm revising my post processing routines to get images from this camera that is more in line with what I want to achieve.