I would like some help here. Long long time Leica user, I decided to join again on the SLR ranks, the D800e is a mermaid with a strong chant... So my wife and I are going on a Safari in a month ( Tanzania ) and I bought myself the D800e and now.. .for the lens I have two options :
- 300mm f2.8 AF-S ( 1st version, used ) + 1.4 TCIII
- 300mm f2.8 AF-S ( 1st version, used ) + 1.7 TCII
- 300mm F4 AF-S + 1.4 TCIII
I know that the differences in aperture and that I will be ending with either a 420mm f4.0 or a 500mm F5.6 from the big mama... OR ... a 420mm 5.6.
My questions are :
- is the F4 setup, since is lighter, therefore easier to use ? I will be doing a private safari, so just me and wife in the Land Rover. But it was many many moons ago since I used a 300mm ( back in the days that I had SLR before coming to Leica and that was when the D1x was new - and I still have a D1X almost spanking new ) ... and I'm worried about technique. I know that either lens will be ruthless with bad technique - but I'm under the impression that since the F4 300mm is lighter ( 1.5kgs vs 3kgs ) it should be easier to get better technique - or I'm mistaken ?
- yes, this is my maximum budget. No VR 300mm 2.8 lens is going to fly
- nope, I dont like the 80-400mm. Not even the new one ( well I do but its too expensive at that price )
- yes the wife is almost cool with me buying a 300mm 2.8. Were "almost" is the operative keyword in that sentence.
- no, I'm not considering a 70-200 with TC's. I want the best image quality bang for buck, so is either 300mm F4 or 300mm 2.8
so please share your thoughts & ideias about this. I can stretch finantially until the 300mm 2.8 and I think that with a 1.4 or even 1.7 will be fine for a safari and then we have the D800e that will allow me to crop quite a bit and still mantain super high image quality. Oh the high iso's.. dear lord, that thing is clean as a baby bottom, I was shocked to develop in LR a 6400 D800e file.. that looked like a 400 iso from my M9's...
anyway, thanks in advance !