I'm quite lost here... I'm about to buy a DSLR and I'm thorn from the D800E and the D3x.
Different animals, I know and for different needs. And no, I do not need the extra protection that the D3x provides.
However I downloaded several NEF files from both cameras and I find the D800E "harder" to work with.
I own a Leica M9 and I find the RAW's a pleasure to work with, just minor adjustments to get very nice results. Of course I own the M9 since launch and therefore I'm more than used to develop the raws, know by heart the camera limitations and what it can and cannot do. And I dont own neither of these Nikons.
But I find the D3x files similar to the M9 in terms of just needing minor adjustments. D800e files although gigantic they need quite a bit of work to get the most out of them.
So d3X :
- much heavier vs d800e
- older tech vs d800e
- I will benefit from weather sealing, not that I need it
- small mp bump from M9 - 18mp vs 24mp
- no video, but then again my interest in video is nill
- how is the AF compared to the D800 ?
- ISO a modest upgrade from the M9. I can use the M9 with clean ISO's until 640.. D3x I understand that 1600 is the limit to get clean files, 3200 if you expose and post process carefully but you are having detail/sharpness loss nonetheless
- grip integrated
- lighter than D3x
- new kid in the block ( well 810... )
- video and all that jazz
- big upgrade 36mp vs 18
- great ISO at higher iso's
Anyone here had a D3x, bought a D800 and found it to be a dissapointment ? and went back to using the D3x ? Again, I do not need the D3x pro body, although I love it ( I still own a D2h and a D1x ). But I do not need it.
Found a used D3x , mint, very low clicks, for around 400 usd less than a D800. I'm a fool for considering this ? D3x ( apart from ruggedness and AF ) offers a modest upgrade from my M9.. but... but help !