The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

still no answer…why there's no 35 pc-e ?

archivue

i still can't understand why there's no 35 pc-e !

45 is often way too long for buildings, way too short for tabletop
24 is really large

35 looks more natural to me… it used to be popular in the 70's 80's 90's…

too difficult to make for digital ? a question of angle of light maybe ?

daf

Well, if you're in nikon and if you can deal without tilt, then the contax 35 PC distagon is a good option ...
If you're in Sony then, you can put the mirex TS adapter sony-eos adapter and then you also have the tilt with it...

BlinkingEye

.......And while we are on the topic where is Nikon's T/S 17mm to compete with Canon. I recently had the opportunity to spend on-on-one quality time with Clyde Butcher, the famous large format, B&W landscape photographer from south Florida.

As some may not know he recently began giving up his Deardorff for a Sony A7r and a Canon 17mm T/S. During the time we spent together, he comments the only reason he is using a Canon lens is because Nikon does not make a T/S as wide.

As to the specific question raised in the opening post, I don't see Nikon making a full series of T/S lenses. If they were going to do that it would have happened already. What about the Cambo X2-Pro bolted to the front of your body to get the length and movements you want? Cambo - X2-PRO System

BlinkingEye

Well, if you're in nikon and if you can deal without tilt, then the contax 35 PC distagon is a good option ...
If you're in Sony then, you can put the mirex TS adapter sony-eos adapter and then you also have the tilt with it...
Thank you for the information in your post. I did not know there was (is) such a lens. What adapter is needed to get from the Contax to Nikon mount? Thank you.

daf

Sorry for my mistake, it is impossible to mount the contax on Nikon!!
Only on canon using a contax to canon...
But focal flange for nikon are too long to use Contax, then you'll not get the infinity...

But it is possible on the Sony ;)

archivue

Cambo ? oh no… the only wide angle compatible is the 28 (not a really good lens !)..
and i much prefer arca swiss stuff !

I'm using a RM3D with a digital back… but i will be happy to have a 35 PC for my D800 !

X2-Pro Lens Compatibility
Schneider Apo-Digitar/Macro-Digitar: 28WA, 72, 80, 90, 100, 120 and 150 mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital/Digaron: 90, 105, 120, 135 and 150 mm
Hasselblad: CF lenses with XA-231 adapter Mamiya: 645Pro lenses with XA-232 adapter Mamiya: RB/RZ lenses with XA-233 adapter

archivue

As to the specific question raised in the opening post, I don't see Nikon making a full series of T/S lenses. If they were going to do that it would have happened already.[/url]
they have already 3 lenses !
24, 45, 85… PC-E

a 17 and a 35 will be perfect… and a new 24 II as well !

BlinkingEye

they have already 3 lenses !
24, 45, 85… PC-E

a 17 and a 35 will be perfect… and a new 24 II as well !
Yes, you are correct. My statement was poorly worded. I meant a MORE COMPLETE set of lenses than the three already made. More WA lenses.

I agree a 17 and 24 would be sweet.

viablex1

.......And while we are on the topic where is Nikon's T/S 17mm to compete with Canon. I recently had the opportunity to spend on-on-one quality time with Clyde Butcher, the famous large format, B&W landscape photographer from south Florida.

As some may not know he recently began giving up his Deardorff for a Sony A7r and a Canon 17mm T/S. During the time we spent together, he comments the only reason he is using a Canon lens is because Nikon does not make a T/S as wide.

As to the specific question raised in the opening post, I don't see Nikon making a full series of T/S lenses. If they were going to do that it would have happened already. What about the Cambo X2-Pro bolted to the front of your body to get the length and movements you want? Cambo - X2-PRO System
wow he is not using 8X10, that guys work is incredible!!!!

ccroft

with a D800 ? really ?
I use it on D800 from time to time.

I quite like it. Really old school solid and well crafted. Small. I like the shift mechanism better than the new Nikons. The aperture control is kinda funny, but if you've shot large format you'll adjust quickly.

At f8 it seems great to me. Fully shifted to 11mm the extreme corners are soft, but the rest holds up for my purposes. I usually try to stay away from full shift if I can, or accept it as a trade-off for the 35 POV. It's not hard to work with it's limitations. It might be a better lens than some of the online info would lead you to believe.

Bottom line: It's not a $3K lens. if you can find a newer version in good condition I think it's worth risking 3 or 4 hundred to find out for yourself. You want the newest version with the black shift knob. I got mine from the original owner in new condition for $370.

A little background: I'm not as accomplished as most posters here, but I use this lens along with 24PCE, 16-35, 105VR and 50 1.8G and I think it compares surprisingly well with these. (notice there's no exotic Zeiss or Leica glass here).

Here's my quick and dirty resolution test (my wife's studio wall) and a couple of crops. I never done this before so bear with me. Here the lens is fully shifted down. Referring to the bottom left crop: I think "Red Spruce" is quite acceptable. Things start to fall apart at "American Elm" and it's soft at "Think", but look at where that is in the full size shot.

BlinkingEye

wow he is not using 8X10, that guys work is incredible!!!!
Yes it is. I have known Clyde and his wife for a while now. They are amongst the nicest people I know and Clyde is very free with his knowledge.

If you ever get a chance to see an exhibit do it. He prints to eight-foot. You can walk into the prints. He claims that is why he prints so large - he wants you to feel like you are there.

routlaw

There is a solo show of his work that just opened this past weekend at the Museum of the Rockies here in Bozeman, MT. It is impressive, for the most part extremely well executed prints especially given their size, many of them at least 6-8 feet wide. Notes at the exhibit state his wet darkroom is 2200 sq ft. I suppose one would need this much space to process prints this large on a regular basis. It is worth noting, there was absolutely no mention of digital anything only his LF cameras he uses, apparently the 8x10 being the most used tool.

However the "walk into the picture or scene" concept eluded me due to the commensurate large piece of glass in front of the mural size prints. Reflections became so extreme and numerous one cannot see the entire image as a whole, rather you have to dance around each of the big prints to get the concept of the scene. Frankly I found the smaller prints (24x30 ±) to be more enjoyable, more intimate and compelling as a whole. Not saying the museum did a bad job exhibiting and in fact do an outstanding job as a rule, its just the nature of the beast when that much glass or plexi is in front of the art to be viewed and especially at this size. Walking out of the show I was both inspired and agitated, inspired by the work, but agitated that I could not see it in all its glory as a whole. Seriously there has to be a better way to produce and exhibit fine art prints than this antiquated old method, other than canvas, that is so intrusive to the viewing experience. I find it odd, contradictory and downright hypocritical that photographic arts are held to a different standard than "normal" fine arts when it comes to exhibiting. This has bugged me for years but seeing this show sort of lit a fire underneath me regarding this issue.

As to the original posters question, so we don't stray too far off topic, it doesn't bother me that Nikon has not made a 35 PC-E lens, I use the 45 PC often with the shift left and right attributes and stitch the frames in post production. Provides a much wider angle of view than the 35 would anyway. I also use the same lens with a RRS pano setup to stitch frames together, works great too. For me at least I would like to see Nikon step up to the plate and produce comparable PC lenses that function more like the Canon's newer versions. Nikons are getting rather long in the tooth would be putting it mildly. On this issue Canon has eaten their lunch.

Hope this helps.

rob