The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D810 first thoughts and a few shots

dogstarnyc

Nice to see you back on here Tim, always value your points and discoveries.

I've included a couple of studio shots from the other night using my D810, as has been well documented already we are 'slightly' restricted by RAW developers not yet being able to fully develop 810 raws but it doesn't mean you can find a decent shot in there.

I let my D800E go only a couple of weeks before the 810 arrived so I immediately noticed the better handling which I've mentioned in another thread.

Observations shooting the D810 in a studio for the first time.

1. mine struggled to fire initially because the menu defaults to let you fire the camera only when you press the shutter AND when the focus circle says its in focus. In reality you just miss shots, so after fooling around with that and just setting it to 'release' (when I want it to fire NOT when it thinks it should) everything was fine, I also tried it in focus tracking mode and it was an improvement over the D800E but not night and day.

2. I manually set my temp to 5000K and didn't mind these files looking like they did. Tim what colour temp were your outdoor shots set at if I may ask...?

3. I used the DNG beta to convert the NEF's and imported into LR, so far as with other NEF's, LR brings them in a little dark, anything from .33 to .8 of a stop. Once the next LR release is out I tend to create a profile for imports that deals with that before I see them so to speak.

4. Details at ISO 64 in a studio are stunning and they do look more film like (to me) and they are close to MFDB images in a studio, I'm looking at P25/45 files not IQ backs.

5. I shot with 85mm and 50mm 1.8 AF-S G lenses, nothing super exotic, heavy or expensive and the files are just fine, any 'off' images are down to me not the cam/lenses used.

6. I like the flat file I get to start with and the much less red in the skin tones... remember this is a freckly, pale, redhead, dialing out the red would have been much worse on older cameras.

As Jack, Bernhardt and others have stated this camera IS a refinement and 'improvement' it just depends on how you use a camera, what for and what/how you get what you want from it to create your photographs.

For what I do almost daily this camera is better than the excellent D800E. The thing about the D800/E to me was that it was a highly capable camera and gave me and thousands of users great quality work. But we didn't love it, it did a tremendous job, but it didn't make me get up earlier or stay out later just for the joy of shooting with it.

The D810 I'm falling for... it feels better, sounds so silky for a DLSR, is responsive and is starting to feel 'as one' in my hands. Yes it's still got too many gizmo's, gadgets, tools and tricks but there is a bit of soul in amongst the Japanese functionality..... We all need a bit of soul in our lives.

Steve