The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO D810

jduncan

It's the new top dog.
\

In terms of the arbitrary index:yes, as a video camera: Far better .
But the camera is an inferior product in terms of image quality outside the ISO64 option if we trust DxO numbers.

Reading the mesures (all bellow ISO 1600) :
1. Dynamic rage is inferior, very little, but down, both for the print and screen.
2. Signal to noise ratio is inferior (print and screen) ISO64 does not help a lot.
3. Tonal range same or inferior (very little).
4. Color sensibility inferior (very little).

It's important to understand that unless we are shooting JPGs the high ISO performance of the camera is lower than that of the D800E and equal to D800.

Lets suppose that the differences are within measurement error, and it just happened that the random error favor D800E most of the time by chance.

Then we will have : A camera that is the same as the D800E in terms of image quality that cost 3300 US$ (as if the A7R never happen) and build in Thailand (lower costs).
I understand that, with all the pesky mechanical systems, SLRs are bound to be more expensive to manufacture than mirror less cameras.
Even so we are in 2014 and the D810 should be the new D800 not the premium product (D800E).

Finally : Will I take a look at the camera? yes,because of the autofocus. ISO 64 could come handy ( ISO 64, if it proves itself by science not self delusion). Will I buy soon: No, Nikon has proven to me that I can't trust their QA and that they are not willing to accept responsibility until the company is going south.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
jduncan, you make a good point. The real issue with any of the newest cameras boils down to do they offer enough "more" of any attribute or attributes to justify a switch? The answer will always be different depending on one's needs -- actually we're at such a high level of performance right now, it's probably more accurate to say one's wants ;)

Paul2660

After reading the DxO tests, it makes a person realize again just how revolutionary the first D800 was. Over 2 years later, which in the tech world is a huge gap, the new sensor (still not even sure if it's from Sony, but assume it is), is just a few points beyond the scores of the original D800.

This to me shows that the D800 has a great value still.

From the quick tests I did, sadly the higher iso ranges of the D810, showed no real improvements over the D800e, and the DxO scores show that out also. I had hoped this would not be the case.

64 is very clean, but to me so is iso 100 on the D800e.

Where the D810 may still shine is the are in the functional improvements:

1. ability to use EFC
2. AF improvements
3. Much improved Live View
4. Much improved post shot image preview
5. Better ergonomics (mainly in the grip)

Mine most likely will go back in exchange for a D610 and a store credit.

Paul

jduncan

After reading the DxO tests, it makes a person realize again just how revolutionary the first D800 was. Over 2 years later, which in the tech world is a huge gap, the new sensor (still not even sure if it's from Sony, but assume it is), is just a few points beyond the scores of the original D800.

This to me shows that the D800 has a great value still.

From the quick tests I did, sadly the higher iso ranges of the D810, showed no real improvements over the D800e, and the DxO scores show that out also. I had hoped this would not be the case.

64 is very clean, but to me so is iso 100 on the D800e.

Where the D810 may still shine is the are in the functional improvements:

1. ability to use EFC
2. AF improvements
3. Much improved Live View
4. Much improved post shot image preview
5. Better ergonomics (mainly in the grip)

Mine most likely will go back in exchange for a D610 and a store credit.

Paul
Hi,

For me the D610 has the best sensor (including price performance, high and low iso and colors). I strongly believe that for current technology 24mpixels is the suit spot for full frame sensors. But at lower iso the D800 series is very good and gives extra detail, if, at is a big if, one have the proper glass. Since I do a lot of dancers the D610 autofocus is a compromise. You can work with it, but is not optimal. I was expecting a new autofocus system for the D4s(1) (more cross type sensors) but it did not happen. What we got is improved software and is seems that is pretty good.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

Notes:
(1) That will allow Nikon to build build a D620 with modern autofocus without fear of loosing D800 series sales.

I bet the differences shown by DXO would be VERY hard to discern in real life, even in a side-by-side print comparison. The only exception to this would be a comparison of the 810 with the 800/e at base ISO. The slightly lower speed of the 810 would probably give a visible advantage, at least for some images, and under ideal circumstances.

If the live-view is indeed improved significantly, that would be the selling point for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Lloyd doesn't want to accept no matter how many times I've encouraged him to look, is that C1 finds that headroom he's complaining about just fine where LR apparently does not do as well with that. But Lloyd is one of those stuck on LR... What it means in usability, is you can use your camera's internal meter at ex comp of 0 and generally be just fine. In fact, the D800 was the first camera I started needing to add white to in addition to black to get a pleasing visual contrast -- and of course now the D810 adds a bit more need for that practice.

G43

Yes Jack, I read you love C1 over Adobe L. PP SW matters, but since many have grown a strong addict to a specific workflow, perhaps the reluctance to try out other SW is pretty profound.
I am stuck with ACR/PS :sleep006:

Seems D810 IS fantastic anyhow; said an older man with too weak bones to carry one :cry:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
G43,

I actually do try out other softwares, just never really liked LR. I have also been playing around with Capture NX-D and it has won a permanent place on my app dock ;)

I do not find the D8xx series heavy at all, especially when compared to a Nikon or Canon true Pro body, but then I respect that other's opinions will vary on that.

G43

I ought to try out Capture One. Curiosity on this level never hurt anybody.

Jack.. you look like a very strong man... ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
C1 is very good on Nikon files and interestingly LR seems better on Sony files.

Worse yet I still don't have support in C1 for my A77II. So they forced my hand to buy LR which I'm growing to like but workflow is not my favorite. I went in and made some keyboard shortcuts that help.

aztwang

Guy check out VSCO...they have a great keyboard application that really speeds things up, However you need to be committed to LR or its going to be a waste of money. Its funny though, I know lightroom like that back of my hand but tethering in LR is a pain in the *** where tethering in C1 is a dream. Im trying to incorporate C1 as my default workflow rather than LR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea C1 works really nice even on my Sony along with Sonys camera app. The hot folder in C1 is far better.