The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Settled on Nikon 1 J4- my "Super Q"

raist3d

After a relatively recent quick trip through a 1 V3, Sony A6000 I settled on the 1 J4. Basically it's 1/2 the price of a Nikon 1 V3 with like 90% of its features and ironically to me a very Zen-like interface that thanks to the touchscreen and new "control panel" works pretty good. OH and a directional wheel that is not horrible (though I never like these wheels).

On the Sony I have to say it is indeed a fantastic camera. I would have gone that way if it wasn't for the fact I wanted the ability to be 100% silent and still like smaller if I can. I already shot the J4 in a situation that required silence so already proved that point for me. Sony please release an AAless A7000 with silent shutter! Please please :)

Anyhow, I have a backlog of photos to post here but may as well start with some recent shots.

And of the Pentax Q/Q7? I still love the Pentax Q! I asked/waited for a year for Pentax/Ricoh to announce development of a very fast prime (say the 01 lens released as an F1.0), and I would have gone that way. That would have been enough for it to shoot some interesting stuff at night in the edges of what I could do now with it.

But didn't happen. I never in a million years thought I would buy a Nikon, much less a 1 system camera, but by accident- not by design- Nikon made a camera I want for street life. It's as small as the Q pretty much and very small with the F1.8 18.5mm (50ishmm equivalent) lens.

If the Q ever gets super fast primes, I may sell it and go back there because the Q's is indeed a charm.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Yeah saw that. But the issue is the lenses - I want very fast primes. I don't think the new q-s1 will improve performance that much in iso if at all if its the same sensor.

I really like the new design I am seeing though.

At least the Nikon 1 V1, V2 and V3 have an EVF. I guess its too late to wish that the new Pentax QS1 might be able to accept an EVF.
The built in EVF of the Nikon 1 V1 still wins out over the cuteness of the Pentax.

Since I did not grow up making pictures with a camera held out at arms length, maybe its an age thing but I like to see what I'm composing..
Robert

raist3d

It all depends what you are trying to do. If you think about it looking at the LCD is like a medium format camera with glass that you look at. Not quite the same but in that direction.

And no, you don't have to hold at arms length. I am using a Nikon J4 and that has no viewfinder. If it wasn't for the faster prime issue I would pick the Q any day over any of the Nikon 1s. Its just much better photographically as a tool to me.

This should not read that I am shooting down your preference- I know quite a few photogs that must have a view finder. All cameras are good now and its just matching needs, wants, preferences and budget.

Oren Grad

Ricardo -

Thanks for sharing these, and all of your fun Q-pictures, too. One question if I may, with apologies if you've addressed this in one of your other picture threads: are you working with ooc jpgs, or converting from raw?

raist3d

Ricardo -

Thanks for sharing these, and all of your fun Q-pictures, too. One question if I may, with apologies if you've addressed this in one of your other picture threads: are you working with ooc jpgs, or converting from raw?
No worries. I am using RAW on the J4. I find the JPEG engine of Nikon improved for the Toy Camera mode (avoids posterization). I don't like in general the JPEG engine color of Nikon, the B&W is ok.

What Nikon does have that I like a lot is the ability to upload custom JPEG curves. For B&W this is great. If they allowed to modify the JPEG curve in the R, G or B when creating them it would allow for a wide range of expression but they don't go that far.

I would dare shoot in B&W JPEG, but color I rather use RAW. Ironically at night the color is decent, it's in daylight where I am not a huge fan of.

For conversion I am using LR 5.5 but also started to use sometimes Nikon's own Capture NX-D (a Silky Pix variant but apparently using their latest algorithms and not the usual Silky Pix Version 3.xx). I find sometimes the noise reduction and edges look somehow better along with some color.

But after doing a few comparisons sometimes LR is better, sometimes Capture NX-D is better... I am split. I like that I can convert RAWS from a connected memory card with Capture NX-D while LightRoom forces you to import them.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Fun images Ricardo. Nice variety. Just recommended the J4 to a friend.
The surprise to me of the J4 is just how much more usable (to me) it is than any J before it. Because the wheel is done right (as far as those wheels go), and the touch screen + new interface works great. The camera now having a metal case inspires a certain elegance along with a Zen with the minimalistic interface.

- Ricardo

Oren Grad

No worries. I am using RAW on the J4. I find the JPEG engine of Nikon improved for the Toy Camera mode (avoids posterization). I don't like in general the JPEG engine color of Nikon, the B&W is ok.

What Nikon does have that I like a lot is the ability to upload custom JPEG curves. For B&W this is great. If they allowed to modify the JPEG curve in the R, G or B when creating them it would allow for a wide range of expression but they don't go that far.

I would dare shoot in B&W JPEG, but color I rather use RAW. Ironically at night the color is decent, it's in daylight where I am not a huge fan of.

For conversion I am using LR 5.5 but also started to use sometimes Nikon's own Capture NX-D (a Silky Pix variant but apparently using their latest algorithms and not the usual Silky Pix Version 3.xx). I find sometimes the noise reduction and edges look somehow better along with some color.

But after doing a few comparisons sometimes LR is better, sometimes Capture NX-D is better... I am split. I like that I can convert RAWS from a connected memory card with Capture NX-D while LightRoom forces you to import them.
Thanks, that's very helpful!

The small size, responsiveness and quietness of the 1 series really appeal. I had a V1/10-30/10 outfit very briefly but returned it - couldn't quite get a handle on the body, so to speak, and my sample of the 10 turned out to be decentered enough to bother me. I do wish they had a 35mm-equivalent prime - the 10 is a bit too wide for me, the 18.5 a bit too long. But the basic attributes of the system are so appealing that I've kept an eye on it.

I was thinking about the custom-curve ability just last night, and especially for monochrome jpgs. Nikon's standard curves tend to be too steep in the highlights for me. I may experiment with that a bit with my D3200; if it works well it would add to the case for trying a "1" again.

I've been fiddling a bit with NX-D, too. Seems usable; the one thing I don't like so far is that even at minimum settings there seems to be some sharpening going on, and I often prefer to have none. But it's early days - perhaps I'm missing something. Or maybe I'll just get used to it.

EDIT: Or maybe not so fast re testing a custom Picture Control - seems as though the D3xxx cameras don't support uploaded Picture Controls... :(

Last edited: