The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I want a 180-ish focal

mark1958

I was playing with it today and even more impressed. To really get the most out of it --- tripod with mirror lockup etc. But unlike many macros it is really great even with distance shots It is heavy but not really big. For routine shooting and/or all purpose traveling lens-- the 70-200 with VR is still a good choice. As a hand held lens-- this would be my preference over the 200mm micro.

I agree with Mark, check out the 200/4 Micro. It's f/4 though.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I used to have a 180mm Nikon and enjoyed it. the one thing I did NOT like however, was that the aperture blades were exposed at the rear, so you could end up getting dirt caught in them, thereby potentially ruining a shot due to over/under exposure.

I don't know if the new lens is the same. Just my two cents.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So the 180/2.8 arrived today and I took it for a quick test spin. It is a later model, looked good and was very clean, but of course what counts is how it performs. First impression on size and weight was good too -- small enough to be in the bag when I want it and relatively light for a 200-ish lens. AF is a tad slow by today's standards and it does show a bit of CA along shiny edges, but then it is surprisingly sharp centrally and holds well to the edges wide open. In fact, it looked so nice on the LCD at f2.8, I only bothered initial testing 2.8 and 4 -- and 4 was a tad nicer still. Very nice bokeh too. Color is a tad toward yellow compared to the current Nikkors, and contrast may be a tiny bit lower by comparison too, but overall for now -- especially at the price -- it looks like a keeper. Another surprise was my AF fine tune setting is "0" for this lens, it is spot on. I need to shoot it more, but I suspect it will get added to my bargain-priced gem list along with the similar vintage 105's.

PS: I had hoped the 1.4x converter would mount, but sadly neither the Nikon or Sigma converters I own will. It seems there's not enough room in the lens' rear throat to allow the protruding front converter element to pass.