The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon V3 and 70-300cx

I expect very little interest in this camera lens combo (and this thread) but thought I would share a few bird photos. Until I picked up a V3 a couple of months ago, I never photographed birds. Until I picked up the new 70-300cx (189-810mm equivalent) lens a couple of weeks ago I never photographed a bird in flight. So I can't really make any comparisons except to say the IQ will never match a DX or FX camera and fast prime. What I can say is this is an impressive long reach lightweight setup that focuses fast, shoots at 20fps and produces surprisingly nice images in good light. I'll skip more details and simply show a few photos of black crowned night herons and common waxbills here in Hawaii. All shots handheld.

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

DX or FF... no problem. Your photos are looking great. I'm sure the V3 is a beast in this discipline and you prove it :)

Martin, this is the new 70-300 lens made exclusively for Nikon One cameras and the smaller sensor - and commonly referred to as 70-300cx (at least that is what I call it).

Thanks Dustbak and since you ask, here's a handheld moonshot for you Swissblad.
Nikon V3, 70-300cx at 287.2mm (forgot to extend zoom completely, duh) f5.6 1/160 iso160:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Outstanding and impressive images. Especially impressive is the handheld moonshot.

I might get one of those, as I never succeeded in moonshots with the EM1 and 75-300II combo - not enough reach and handheld almost impossible.

Thanks ptomsu. For now this is the best setup for reach and size. Hoping to get a moonrise or moonset shot soon.
Happy to oblige Swissblad.
Here are a few more examples for you Martin:

Last edited: