The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

Bildifokus

I have a lot of images from yesterdays wedding shoot. I used three cameras, Nikon D3x, Nikon D810 and Hasselblad H4D-50. I have to say that the little Nikon D810 starts to grow on me. :)

Nikon D810 | AF-S 85/1,4G | f2

wattsy

First time I've tried the camera at ISO 64 (I keep forgetting it can go that low – I'm used to the 160 and 320 minimum ISO speeds of my Leicas:D).

mark1958

I took this with the D810 and Nikon 85mm PC. This is an old Septic Tank along the N. Ca coast. Found it when i went to use the outdoor facility.. I am really loving that lens. I find i use it quite often

eleanorbrown

I honestly hesitated to even post this image as it's really not that good…i.e.: bad cloudy weather, no magical light, rain and drizzle, cloudy water, etc…and really should be done with a wide angle lens. However I just got my D810 and I have the Zeiss Otus 55 and was anxious to work with this lens on the 810. Only really been taking test shots for couple of days also….But what I'm seeing is AMAZINGLY smooth files (iso 64)…and I'm able to pull up unbelievable shadow detail…I mean smooth with no noise…Wonderful dynamic range. I'm looking for ways to get medium format feel with 35mm system…thus the reason for getting the Otus lens. I'll be posting some better shots as I get more chance to experiment with this combination. Oh yes, the live view focusing is over the top fabulous. Eleanor

jlancasterd

I honestly hesitated to even post this image as it's really not that good…i.e.: bad cloudy weather, no magical light, rain and drizzle, cloudy water, etc…and really should be done with a wide angle lens. However I just got my D810 and I have the Zeiss Otus 55 and was anxious to work with this lens on the 810. Only really been taking test shots for couple of days also….But what I'm seeing is AMAZINGLY smooth files (iso 64)…and I'm able to pull up unbelievable shadow detail…I mean smooth with no noise…Wonderful dynamic range. I'm looking for ways to get medium format feel with 35mm system…thus the reason for getting the Otus lens. I'll be posting some better shots as I get more chance to experiment with this combination. Oh yes, the live view focusing is over the top fabulous. Eleanor

Nice work! What are the exposure details?

eleanorbrown

Exposure was Otus 55 at f11, 6 seconds, iso 64. I was surprised I didn't get any more depth of field at f11…that's why I feel this would have been better with say a 35mm lens. I shoot this river often and usually get best results with wider lens…just wanted to try my Otus here. I did some test of f stops using the Otus and was shocked at the superb sharpness and micro detail even using f 16!! I would never use f16 on any other lens. eleanor

Also as I mentioned the ability to pull out excellent smooth detail from way underexposed shadows at iso 64 is amazing. I have been a Phase One medium format user for many years and looking for something in 35mm that will give me that "feel". Also I''m going nuts not having Capture One to process these Nikon D810 files!!!

Nice work! What are the exposure details?

Last edited:

jlancasterd

Exposure was Otus 55 at f11, 6 seconds, iso 64. I was surprised I didn't get any more depth of field at f11…that's why I feel this would have been better with say a 35mm lens. I shoot this river often and usually get best results with wider lens…just wanted to try my Otus here. I did some test of f stops using the Otus and was shocked at the superb sharpness and micro detail even using f 16!! I would never use f16 on any other lens. eleanor

Also as I mentioned the ability to pull out excellent smooth detail from way underexposed shadows at iso 64 is amazing. I have been a Phase One medium format user for many years and looking for something in 35mm that will give me that "feel". Also I''m going nuts not having Capture One to process these Nikon D810 files!!!
The depth of field doesn't look like too much of an issue to my eyes, but it's not easy to tell on screen.

There are a couple of very similar rivers near me here in North Wales, in the Aberglaslyn Pass area, and since buying the Sigma Art 35mm and 50mm lenses I've been thinking of trying the same type of long exposure photography. Must dig out my tripod!

eleanorbrown

John I do long exposures of water frequently, at least here in Colorado…For this shot I used a 6 stop ND filter. eleanor

The depth of field doesn't look like too much of an issue to my eyes, but it's not easy to tell on screen.

There are a couple of very similar rivers near me here in North Wales, in the Aberglaslyn Pass area, and since buying the Sigma Art 35mm and 50mm lenses I've been thinking of trying the same type of long exposure photography. Must dig out my tripod!

eleanorbrown

Couple more of Snake River across the road from my house here in colorado. Nikon D810 with Zeiss Otus 55, both at iso 64 with 6 stop ND filter. First image at f14 at 25 seconds, second at f 11 at 5 seconds. Focus was on the boulder in the foreground. Eleanor

dogstarnyc

As Tashley, Quentin and myself all seemed to be in the south west of the UK at roughly the same time (and never even had a beer together... quite appalling really :wtf:).

This storm pictured here I suggest was the same one Quentin photographed...!!!!

labrador bay teignmouth devon
Nikon d810 85mm 1.8 AF-S ISO 64 3 secs at f13 (bloody windy)

S

Last edited:

jlancasterd

John I do long exposures of water frequently, at least here in Colorado…For this shot I used a 6 stop ND filter. eleanor
Yes, there are some really nice rocky rivers in Colorado - I particularly remember the Animas, seen from the Silverton train when I visited about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the advice about ND filters - I'll look into getting something I can use with either lens.

Bildifokus

This image is not perfect in any way, but I'm very satisfied with my D810. If I had bring my D3x to the woods I couldn't do this image without a tripod. At iso 1800 the D3x would not look nice. :)

Nikon D810 | AF-S 105/2,8 VR | f5 | 1/125s | iso 1800

dogstarnyc

@Arne,

Bit late replying Arne sorry, I will check out Dali's suggestion in early November as I'll be down in the south of France.

Be nice if Dali could check out Holkam, but I can't see that happening..