The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 50/1.2 is a wonderful lens. IMHO it's look is only approached by the the new Sigma Art and perhaps the OUTUS. After getting the Sigma I sold my 50/1.2 mostly because of the advantages of AF *for my needs*.

G43

Congrats Quentin :)

Wish I had the strength to carry this stunning camera and belonging lenses.

Quentin_Bargate

Well i had my D800E stolen a year ago. I still have several Nikon lenses that need a body. i miss using fast lenses on a top quality body

G43

No kidding.. stolen? Yes it happens and it shouldn't.

If weight doesn't matter, I guess you've found a maid for your excellent glass.

dogstarnyc

Ian those images are stunning...

There are many who will say 'if you have the 50mm 1.2... you don't need anything else...' I can see why.

And Holkham beach IS the center of the universe, anyone who even questions that has obviously never been there..:lecture:

skmadapatu

Let me share my experience with D810 & & Tamron 120-600MM. Last weekend, I took ~5000 pictures with D810 & Tamron 120-600MM combo @ WWII era airshow in Halls, TN – I felt 99.99% of the pictures were in focus (@ 600MM & difficult conditions – I used AFC-C and the Group AF mode truly helped): You may glance through some of those glimpses @
Wings Over Halls - Tiger Rider
(It may be bit excessive contrast & saturation – I over cooked especially with the Nik HDR Batch (~70) processing. I can tune it for your publication requirement)
Here is a sample one of WingWalker:

Bildifokus

Today my D810 arrived and tomorrow it will go to work for the first time and on saturday it will do it's first wedding. :)

Nikon D810 | AF-S 85/1,4G | f1,8 | 1/640s | iso 64

Arne Hvaring

Ian those images are stunning...

There are many who will say 'if you have the 50mm 1.2... you don't need anything else...' I can see why.

And Holkham beach IS the center of the universe, anyone who even questions that has obviously never been there..:lecture:
Hi Steve, you're quite wrong. According to the famous surrealist painter Salvatore Dali, a well known authority in these matters, the center of the universe is to be found at the railroad restaurant in Perpignan, in the south of France :D
Nice picture btw!

aztwang

I posted this on another forum:

Greetings,
I recently sold my D800e after reading some reviews of the D810 I thought I would give it a try. There are a few features which I was really excited about, the base iso of 64, allowing more creativity in the studio, improved ISO capabilities, and additional frame per second and last but not least the adoption of the autofocus system used in the D4s.
Package from B&H arrived today, spent a few hours customizing my menus getting familiar with the new body, Taking a few test shots in the house. I was impressed by the quiet shutter in normal mode, I like the new display in the viewfinder, I like the ergonomic improvements of the grip, these are a few improvements I was able to notice while laying on the studio floor Reading and setting up menus.
Fast-forward to 7 PM this evening, high school football game starting in Phx, AZ is about 15 minutes before sunset, I chose the Nikon 200 mm F2 a.k.a. Chubby and a MB-D12 loaded with a En-el15 battery to perform the job tonight. Impressions:
* overall the body even though modifications were slight feels much more pleasing to my large hands
*I like theQuiet shutter, its solid & Precise, I choseThe high continuous mode, this body can do 6 & 7 frames per second in DX mode, but I chose to stay in FX, 5fps.
* Autofocus, I tried the new Group focus mode. WOW totally impressed my keeper percentage appears to be on par with my D3s's, A far cry from the D800e who's keeper percentage on the field were terrible. Originally I was going to use the group focus for a bit and then move to single point in continuous mode for the rest of the evening but after seeing the results I stuck with the group focus mode all night. One thing I did find about the group autofocus mode is that the visible AF dots make it much easier to track a moving object with more smoothness, its not a technical advantage but more of a mental thing I guess...Much easier to keep the moving target confined with in the box of 4 dots than it is's to keep the dot right on the target.
*ISO has improved, they say 1 stop...I think closer to 1/2 to 3/4. Regardless the file at 6400..I was VERY pleased to say the least, definately cleaner than the D800/e
* last but not least the big 36mp file is really nice. I had an image of a catch all the way the other side of the field and another 30 yards down that was tack sharp and I can actually use the file, it didn't fall apart like it would from my D3S, Dam I could crop the image down and actually still print from it.
Thats all I have for now, the camera is been in my hand for roughly two hours tonight and I must say it's a breath of fresh air. With the D800/e my confidence in being able to pick up that camera, shoot it, enjoy shooting it because I know the results were going to be good.... was not very good and thats not good when you make a living as a photographer.
The D810 while I have only scratched the surface could be the best DSLR Nikon has made

Ciao

Image below shot with a Nikon D810, iso 6400 ,1/800th with a Nikon 200mm f2 shot wide open

Last edited:

aztwang

This was shot with my new D810 & a 200 f2. @ 2.0 Its nice to crop real tight and have a file that wont fall apart. Im going to mount my Zeiss 135 f2 Apo Sonnar and experiment today.:D