The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

routlaw

Jorgen, I use the 85 PC-E lens constantly for studio and table top work. Love it and have always thought it is one of Nikons better lenses. When the D800 was first introduced I had the chance to demo the camera for a long weekend and used the 85 PC-E lens quite a bit for my landscape work and found it to be without fault in this situation as well, notwithstanding using apertures that did not push the envelop of the tiny pixels on this camera to the extreme.

It is worth noting also when in macro mode diffraction issues due to DOF/Aperture and pixel size do not raise their ugly head in quite the same way. IOW's you can get away with more, well within limits.

Hope this helps.

Would the old Micro Nikkor 85mm PC still be a valid option for this?

routlaw

I've had both, used the initial manual one for years, then bought the newer version once it was introduced. The nano coating does help even with macro IMHO, resolution for pixel peepers is a tad better with the newer one but not jaw dropping difference, 1 f stop of aperture is eliminated with the newer version vs the older (f32 vs f45) but how practical f45 is on any digital camera is dubious at best let alone the D810, and finally the full automation of the newer lens is really a joy to use vs the older manual stop down. I can't emphasize this enough especially if you are shooting tethered and you should be for table top work.

The bottom line is this: I would have to be on an extremely tight budget to choose the older version over the new, especially in the application you are referring to here. My 2¢ worth, hope it helps.

rob

Ah... I see. Will the old version have to be stopped down manually then?

Anyway, it seems to be hard to go wrong with any of these. The old version seems to be 30-50% cheaper second hand.

Joe,
If ever there was a shot that exemplified Bresson's phrase: "the decisive moment", your post #140 of the two little swimmers exemplifies this!
Absolutely magical image!
Congratulations!

Lawrence

woodyspedden

I had to return the used 800E I bought because it had defects. When I noticed the price drop of the 810 to $2996 I bit the bullet and got one.

This is one of my first attempts. The location is in Rocky Mountain National park. I went there to shoot Elk but nature did not cooperate and we saw not a one that day.

I was driving and noticed this dead juniper set up against the green lodgepole pine. I thought the juxtaposition between dead and alive was interesting.

Love to hear your comments and critiques

Woody

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, all of you, for good advice regarding the 85mm PC/E. I can see my wallet shrinking already ;) I probably need the 24mm as much as the 85, so this might end up as a very expensive adventure.

As an alternative to shooting tethered, I'm probably buying a HDMI monitor that attaches to the hot shoe. The main purpose will be video, but I hope it will be possible to use it for still photos in live view as well. The Atomos Shogun is rather tempting:

Shogun | Atomos
https://vimeo.com/114644960

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 85 PC-E is a very good lens and also gets to about 1/2 life size so is an almost macro. The 24 PC-E took me a few copies to find one I was happy with, and finally ended up buying one used from a member here that said it always performed well for him -- and it was indeed a great copy. Even with a great copy though, it's apparent the design is being pushed to its limits on a 36MP sensor -- but regardless it still makes great images ;) I've tried a few different 45 PC-E's and was disappointed in their mediocre performance, which is unfortunate.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Jack

Is it something about the focal length of the 45 that is an issue as it appears that both Nikon and Canon both have underperforming 45 in the TS arena and both have 24mm that perform well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree Bryan -- and it is unusual, since the "normal" focal is usually the easiest to make really excellent optically.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree Bryan -- and it is unusual, since the "normal" focal is usually the easiest to make really excellent optically.
But doesn't that simplicity depend on the light following a straight path through the lens? I would think that the moment tilt and shift is involved, the simplicity of a "normal" lens isn't really applicable anymore. Just guessing here, but....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would agree Jorgen, except that 1) tilt only alters the plane of focus, though indeed shift requires significantly greater IC and this is tougher to design and keep usable; 2) neither lens performs particularly well "zeroed" as a straight lens either...

Swissblad

I've tried a few different 45 PC-E's and was disappointed in their mediocre performance, which is unfortunate.
Jack, I'm a bit surprised by your comment, as I thought the 45mm PC-E was optically quite good - at least that is what I was lead to believe….

I know the 24mm can be problematic…. a true pity…. and we're very happy with the 85mm… now I'm a bit confused about the 45mm…..I was really interested in this for table top macro work....:confused:

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Swiss,

In fairness I've only tried 2, one used and one new, but did return both as they did not impress -- not even as good as my 24. All I can suggest is if you do buy one, make sure you can return it if it does not pass your inspection optically. And of course, if you happen to find one that is good please let us know!

(In fact, I am in the process of obtaining a Sony A7r simply to have a camera I can mount multiple 40-50 options on and have movements -- either mounting a Canon version directly or via a Cambo ACTUS system using Hassy, Mamiya or Rodenstock or Schneider MF glass.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record... I just tried out a Canon 45 TS-E on the Sony -- while it was sharp enough centrally, it showed pretty heavy CA outside the center ⅔. Surprisingly, a 40 CF-E Hassy lens (on ACTUS w/A7r) was notably worse on resolution than the Canon, though better on CA. I may just re-investigate the Nikkor 45 PC-E at some point.

JohnBrew

First tripod shot with D810. Still not sure I will keep this one, but it is an interesting camera body.
D810, Zeiss 55 1.4 @f16.

routlaw

I must have a decently good copy of the 45 PC-E lens. Its not quite on par with my 85 PC-E but is certainly better than the 24 PC lens I had and sold some time ago. So I am inclined to believe there are good 45's to be had.

To be a bit more specific, my 45 PC lens does exhibit just a bit (but not much) CA and is not quite a sharp especially toward the corners as the 85 PC lens. Putting numbers to it, I would say the 45 is about 90-95% the quality of my 85 PC.

One other thing worth mentioning is the 85 OOF areas are about as good as it gets, so for those bokeh junkies its a lens well worth owning.

Used the Nikon D810 at the Nutcracker. Such a treat to shoot with a much quieter DSLR (quieter than the Df). This was also the first time I used group area focus and it worked well, particularly during panning. Paired with a 400mm f2.8 AFI, the D810 produced lovely images with exquisite detail. Rather than bore you with lots of photos, here are a couple of unprocessed images with no noise reduction, sharpening or anything else except one stop was added to the second ballerina. I've also included a handful of full size crops (about 1100 x 735 pixels) to show some detail.

f2.8 1/320sec iso2000

f2.8 1/320sec iso 1250 (added one stop in post)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Used the Nikon D810 at the Nutcracker. Such a treat to shoot with a much quieter DSLR (quieter than the Df). This was also the first time I used group area focus and it worked well, particularly during panning. Paired with a 400mm f2.8 AFI, the D810 produced lovely images with exquisite detail. Rather than bore you with lots of photos, here's a single unprocessed image with no noise reduction, sharpening or anything else. I've also included a handful of full size crops (about 1100 x 735 pixels) to show some detail.

f2.8 1/320sec iso2000

Comes up with "Content Protected by Owner".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a test with the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro. Very sharp of course, but too contrasty, too much of everything really. As soon as I buy another 50, this will go back where it belongs, next to the tabletop studio in my office. Shadows pulled back and contrast reduced in this photo.

D810 with Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro @ f/2.8