The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Turret Arch, Arches NP. D810, 17-35/2.8 at 22mm, 1/30th @ f8. Processed C1, cropped to 2:1 aspect then converted for web. Pure morning light in Moab ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Swiss,

Firstly, Bob is about 2 meters to my right and a meter lower.

Secondly, we had a lot of veiled cloud cover and light was changing very rapidly. In less than 2 minutes our prime shooting time went from blah to peak back to blah. However, in that 2 minutes I -- and I suspect Bob and everybody else too -- captured several varied images worth processing out! And these went back and forth from minimal Sunlight on the monolith to harsh contrasty light, and in the end back to dead flat. So favorite image selection is individual preference.

And then of course there is processing. Both Bob and I use C1. But then these are first go-arounds on our laptops form our motel rooms after waking early to shoot, so not a lot of time is being spent. Next, Bob prefers more neutral WB than I; I prefer slightly warmer and am usually about 200 points K warmer than Bob. I also prefer more localized contrast for punch and brightness for roundness, while Bob likes more neutral and flatter portrayals. So as with most landscape images, the end result is what each artist likes most taken from what they shot, and then processed to their individual tastes.

But that said, I am definitely printing this one up close to what you see to at least 12" x 24" and likely larger ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is my version of yesterday evening's set up. I am going to name this spot "Disappointment Point" :ROTFL: We set up this perfect composition, had great clouds and then waited for the Sun to do it's thing and color everything up. And right when it started to do just that, the Sun went behind a huge freaking cloud and stayed there until it was too late to light the LaSal mountains and clouds in the background. We packed up and drove out for cocktails.

D810, 50 ART, 1/125th @ f8, ISO 64:

PS: Got to reiterate that the 50 ART is a truly amazing optic!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tonight's Sunset worked a little better for us, so spectacular just to have been there out in it that it really didn't even matter we were shooting. D810, 50 ART, 1/6th @ f8, ISO 64:

Then I found this one from a few minutes later -- not sure why I missed it initially, but then I am beat. I think I prefer it to the first? Needs some more careful processing on my big monitor, but I think it may be a keeper. Same as above but 1/4sec and I actually had to dial back saturation the foreground rocks were so red!:

Matt suggested we think about this one in B&W too -- good idea! Here was my take, same spot from a few minutes earlier, converted to B&W in C1:

Swissblad

Ditto - nice work, folks - great location.

Jack - thanks for the info…..

… and I'm really have to get a 50mm ART!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, one more before we head to Zion. 17-35/2.8 at 24mm, 1/3rd @ f8, processed in C1:

I forgot to post a 100% crop of the portrait taken with my $100 Sigma 70-300 lens. Here it is (no sharpening):

D810 with Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO @ 195mm and f/4.8 (wide open)
Hi

it seems that you do not have any problems with low shutterspeed and this 36MP sensor. With 1/200s @around 200mm it is very impressive sharp.

What is your experience with your D810 and handholding speed to achieve satisfying results? Currently, I try to stay at 1/3x FL.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Many thanks Bob.
I really like this one.
To my eyes it looks very natural.
How did you process it?
TIA.
Using capture one adjustment layers, I applied selective contrast enhancement to the canyon while leaving much of the image alone.
I did that to make the canyon the subject, otherwise it was ambiguous .
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Getting close to my final image from this trip as we finished this evening in one of my favorite spots -- but one not normally considered good for winter photography -- Zion NP. This shot is additionally interesting in that there is new green growth already appearing in the trees and brush, something that normally wouldn't happen for at least another month to 6 weeks from now. It was about 70º F out today and we were in our tee shirts. The American West needs some water and cooler weather...

50 ART, 1/30th @ f8:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is one from the Sigma ART 35 I borrowed from Bob -- nice lens, now on order :D

1/125 @ f5.6, "Dragoneye"

JCT

Have a trip to the Valley of Fire and then a few days in Zion next month, you guys have me all jazzed to go! Will be the first serious workout for the D810.

Hoping my copy of the 17-35 f2.8 is as good as yours, Jack.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hoping my copy of the 17-35 f2.8 is as good as yours, Jack.
I am very happy with this copy. I bought it from my good friend Uwe Steinmuller right before he moved back to Germany as he was lightening his move load. By far not the sharpest lens in my stable, but it does a stellar job in those focals and I think a little of Uwe remains with it. Doubtful I will ever sell it ;)