The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the D810

Swissblad

Tim, those look very good - thanks for posting :thumbup:

Wonders….. should I trade in my D800…..?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks... but I wouldn't rush: always good to see what comes out of the woodwork in terms of faults and problems, and I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon!

Swissblad

Thanks... but I wouldn't rush: always good to see what comes out of the woodwork in terms of faults and problems, and I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon!
Thanks, Tim.

There is no rush... at the moment I'm having a lot of fun with the little Fuji X-T1.

Cheers, S.

PS Thanks for initiating this thread.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I hate to actually admit (ask) this but...

Is it just me or am I seeing subtly smoother tonality while still retaining excellent detail even in these reduced-size web jpegs???

They just don't look digital by any description...

Crap, time to order one.

Swissblad

Lovely image Tim, I really like the way Sigma renders mauve colours.
Would be keen to see how the D810 / Sigma 150mm macro combination is like.

BTW - have arranged an upgrade….. ;)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jack, the web sized versions are pretty ropey compared to the RAW - I saved them as Prophoto and whether it's that, or some other cup'n'lip factor, the bokeh edges look less creamy than they do in the original. But especially at ISO 64 there is simply no hint that technology has been involved, the files have literally perfect smoothness.

I'll post the RAW to my zenfoio now and put a link here in a few minutes.

Swissblad, thank you! I'm afraid though that I don't have the 150 but I am tempted.

BTW I have done a very quick planar test and this lens is better at F1.4 than most of my lenses at F4. By f5.6 the corners are almost perfect but even by F2 they are easily good enough.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, I'm talking subtlety, but nonetheless visible to my eyes even in the web jpegs...

Oh, and mine should be here Tuesday :ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member

tashley

Subscriber Member
To be clear, I'm talking subtlety, but nonetheless visible to my eyes even in the web jpegs...

Oh, and mine should be here Tuesday :ROTFL:

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

The images are as sharp as the A7R (in other words a tiny touch sharper and with a little more depth than the D800/E) and have smoother tonality, probably due to both the lower compression and the lower ISO.. I'm sure you'll like it. It's also just a lot nicer to use than the 800s.

BTW Jack what are you thinking of your 50 Art? Mine only arrived today but to me it seems at least as good as the sony FE 55, which from me is high praise indeed...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I *LOVE* the 50 art! It is perhaps the best balanced 50 focal I have ever shot with. Bokeh is on par with my historical favorite, the Leica M50 Lux pre-asph; and then resolution and clarity are right there with the other top gun in that arena, the Leica M50 Lux Asph... How can it get any better?