The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrome with the Nikon

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've recently discovered something pretty neat. I may be well behind the curve compared to most of you Nikon mono shooters, but here goes.

Since first getting the D800, I've always set up a second main shooting menu for Monochrome capture; A for color, B for mono and of course named them appropriately. In the mono, I've generally just left the factory mono settings at their defaults and it did a credible job, but to get what I wanted I needed to work the raw a bit in C1 to get where I wanted, even when using my saved custom C1 presets.

With the acquisition of the D810, I started playing around with the in-cam settings a bit and have hit on what I think is a pretty awesome combo -- a combo I've transferred to the D800E and Df, and it appears to work equally well with them. It helps render the mono with a fairly broad and smooth tonal gradation and then light color-tone to taste, so I thought I'd share them for your comment.

I select mono, then dial back sharpening to 3 and zero out contrast, clarity and brightness. I turn on sepia and dial it back to 1.0 (D810 you can sub-set toning in 0.25 increments, but 1.0 is the minimum in all these cams and my preference.) I am currently experimenting with using the Y filtration, and it seems to give a really nice overall balance to the relative hue rendering.

Obviously, these settings only apply to the in-cam jpeg, but do then render for the rear LCD review, so we see our capture in our as-set toned mono. However, there's a nifty part -- Capture NX-D does apply those settings to the raw file on import, and it does so extremely well, rendering the nef with the same look as the in-cam jpeg -- and frankly I find it so good the file doesn't need much tweaking beyond that. At the least, it's a lot less work than was required in C1 to get a really nice B&W.

I'd encourage you to experiment a bit and post your thoughts after playing around with it. Really does open an entirely new dimension to these cameras for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are some examples I just shot. As shot in-cam with above settings, but no sepia and Y filter only. They do loose a little without the sepia effect IMHO, so I will shoot tomorrow with it back on at 1. I also had to adjust levels on these, adding 4 points of black to get one channel to 0, then bumped gamma to 1.15 to bring back midtone brightness -- not sure if this is a metering bugaboo or an effect of the Y filter. Elsewise, these are the jpegs as shot, straight out of the camera. Needs more experimentation, but I do feel it has promise. Stay tuned for more examples ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My family arrived earlier than anticipated so there was not quite enough time for more serious photography his morning. But I wanted to get a sepia example up as promised, so took a simple grab shot from my deck. The house in the photo s approximately 130 meters distant. Lens was my recently acquired 180/2.8, shot at f2.8. In-cam settings per recipe above. Interestingly, the exposure is perfect, there is one small area with B channel showing a 0 level readout, and another similar bright area with a single small-area 255 reading in the R channel -- not bad for an in-cam 8-bit jpeg under full California summer Sun! However, I did still need to bump gamma to 1.15 for what I feel gives a proper midtone balance. Rest is all as shot in-cam. For reference, house on left is tan, house to right is a grayish light blue; plastic chairs on dock are from left to right, lime green, primary blue, light purple and primary red; canopy on boat lower left is marine blue.

Oh, this was a hand-held shot. Lens is surprisingly good to the edges and while a bit soft in the extreme corners, still totally usable there!

Again, apologies for the simple snapshot image:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Works great as the default on my Df. I love shooting it mono to jpg and always have the option of raw -> colour too if I want it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good point Graham, I should have qualified I always shoot Raw+jpeg so have the full raw file to work on; this also allows the removal of the sepia effect if a more neutral B&W or even color result is desired.