The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron 150-600mm lens Nikon mount

gurtch

I pre ordered from B&H (Nikon mount) on March 20, and it arrived today Aug 15, so you may get a feel of the queue length. Have not used it yet. It comes with a free down load of Silkypix 4.0 Studio for Tamron, which supposedly corrects for aberrations of this lens during development from RAW. Anyone tried this software? I bought it to try to shoot wading birds here on the NJ shore
Dave in NJ

waynelake

I have my eye on this too. They have one in Nikon mount at the local shop here & I got told to bring my camera in, lol. Soon...

Swissblad

Have fun with it and post some pics!

It seems like a great lens - if I didn't have the Nikon 80-400mm, I would buy it in a snap!

;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Please report on how this lens performs in your eyes and also please some samples.

Have read so far mostly outstanding reports of this lens. I am very interested in buying one, so this would be greatly appreciated!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a nice option for a versatile long zoom! I have a Sigma 120-300 and 2X that gets me effectively 120-600/2.8-5.6, but at about 6 pounds total weight ;)

Paul2660

At the price point it's very tempting.

Reports I have read, from Lensrentals.com and a couple of wildlife shooter blogs, are that it's strong up to 500mm but past that it gets soft unless you are at around F16 or greater.

Net, it's a great lens in good to bright light, not such a good lens in low light. The tests were all on Canon cameras, as it appears not many of the Nikon units have shipped. All the Canon cameras were full frame.

I still feel this lens would be a great companion on the D800 family in DX mode for most wildlife. My local shop has 3 coming supposedly next week, 1 is Nikon mount, so I am hoping to stop by to try it.

The image stabilization seems to be excellent, AF a bit slow, but overall appears to be a great value for the price point, and 1.3K or 1.6K less than the Nikon 80 -400 (new version) I can't remember if that lens is 2.3 or 2.6K.

Paul