The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df - current user consensus?

Paratom

just a little test run over a weekend...its back in the store now but I really did like the body and the IQ (the 50/1.8G showed some busy bokeh though in some images). The DF really feels straight forward for an old guy from film times.
Will I be able to resist?
_DSC0088 by paratom511, on Flickr

jonoslack

I'm not sure there's a way back to most full frame sensors either - so I'm keeping clear for now . . . for now!

Yeah, that little EM5 II has a few things going for it. But who says men should only have one camera.
Who says a man only does have one camera! The Df would be in direct competition with my M kit . . . and I'm not ready to go there. At least, not now.

jonoslack

Why not give it a try ;)
Well, good question. Image quality isn't the limiting factor in any good picture i take . . . so a better question might be "Why give it a try" or, even better, "would it help me to take better pictures" . . . I know that these questions are bizarre for a real GAS sufferer like me,

The reason I got rid of the A7ii was that it was only really a substiture for My M240/MM, but didn't solve any of my other requirements (lightweight, long focal length). Nothing at all wrong with the camera.

I think the Df would exist in the same area - I can see that it would make a wonderful package with a couple of good primes . . . but I already have a good FF with some good primes, for which I don't need AF. . . . and micro 43 works well with zooms and telephotos.

Later maybe . . but I do find it particularly interesting.

JCT

I've only had mine a few months, but I am quite smitten - especially when coupled to either my 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.2 or 105 f2.8 AIS lenses.

I too have too many cameras - though I am slowly selling some off to simplify things, so I can relate to the "what role does it fill" question. I already have focal length overlap with my RX1r and my Fuji XT-1.

But at the end of the day, life is short and just everything feels right on the Df, especially with my dad's old primes. My husband had an interesting observation (and he finds my GAS endlessly amusing) when we were traveling recently. I brought the Df and the D810 on a trip to some Utah/Nevada national parks and he commented that I was almost "affectionate" with the Df. :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, good question. Image quality isn't the limiting factor in any good picture i take . . . so a better question might be "Why give it a try" or, even better, "would it help me to take better pictures" . . . I know that these questions are bizarre for a real GAS sufferer like me,

The reason I got rid of the A7ii was that it was only really a substiture for My M240/MM, but didn't solve any of my other requirements (lightweight, long focal length). Nothing at all wrong with the camera.

I think the Df would exist in the same area - I can see that it would make a wonderful package with a couple of good primes . . . but I already have a good FF with some good primes, for which I don't need AF. . . . and micro 43 works well with zooms and telephotos.

These arguments make sense! Especially weight/size wise you will not get any advantage over m43.

For me the temptation of the Df is the excellent IQ (which of course you also get from the M240) plus the AF capabilities in FF plus NO EVF. Yes your hear right - I think one EVF camera (EM!) is enough for me. So the Df seems to be the perfect package. But this is definitely a different story than yours :)

BUT - try to hold/operate it for a while - for me that brought the special click and now I am kind of hooked - I am knw you understand this ;)

Paratom

Differences between DF and M I see are mainly
-AF (which can be an advantage for kids etc), and
-when using lenses longer than 75mm rangefinder focusing gets difficult
-DF has more flexibility in the higher ISO range
- The exp metering of the DF is better IMO

But I agree that there are many similarities between the DF+primes vs the M.
And if one is used the quality of M lenses...

Y Sol

I’m working with my Df since one and a half year now and I love this camera.
One of the strength of the Df is that the pictures made with old lenses look beautiful, there is some magic in the files it produces.
I use my old 50mm lenses a lot, my favorite is the Nikkor-S Auto 1,4 which I think was manufactured in the early sixties.

jonoslack

For me the temptation of the Df is the excellent IQ (which of course you also get from the M240) plus the AF capabilities in FF plus NO EVF. Yes your hear right - I think one EVF camera (EM!) is enough for me. So the Df seems to be the perfect package. But this is definitely a different story than yours :)
HI Peter
Quite agree that one EVF camera is enough . . . but I only ever put the EVF on the M if I want to do macro . . . . so µ43 and M ought to be the perfect combination. . . . . but like Tom, I also have a soft spot for the T - lovely lenses and interesting and satisfying interface . . but missing IBIS and speed.

rayyan

Let me, once again, play the devil's advocate in regards to the Df.

What a camera it could have been, but unfortunately, for me , it isn't.:mad:

It has super IQ. The files are just so...delicious. Yes, the manual controls, the backward compatibility with lenses etc.

But I have been unable to use the camera for extended periods of time due to some insane person designing the grip. Not deep enough. Not comfortable at all.

The ergonomics lets this camera down, for me. I get cramps in my curled hand/fingers. And then the inconsistent behavior of the various dials. Oh why couldn't they have maintained some consistency in the design of how all dials operate.

I use exposure compensation a lot. This comp dial cannot be assigned to a function key!! One has to use the left hand, pull up the knob ( or is push a button to release ) and then turn the dial to effect exp. comp. I find this unnecessarily tedious..and keep looking through the viewfinder or remove your eyes to look at the dial to set it. Small thing, but for all day use..it is a huge deal for me.

Nikon made it backward compatible with most of their MF legacy lenses. So why not give it a proper focussing screen? What a bummer and only x0.7 mag. What were they thinking?

There are other bits here and pieces there that are beginning to bother me. They distract me from using the cam as a seamless shooting tool. It makes me tired.

I thought it would bring the joy of my previous film Nikons, but it has failed in this for me. Sad. I so wanted it to work. Will I get rid of it? The jury is still out.

The sensor...yes, the sensor. I shall dearly miss it.

What a camera it could have been..well am I glad I still have my D700.

V

Vivek

HI Peter
Quite agree that one EVF camera is enough . . . but I only ever put the EVF on the M if I want to do macro . . . . so µ43 and M ought to be the perfect combination. . . . . but like Tom, I also have a soft spot for the T - lovely lenses and interesting and satisfying interface . . but missing IBIS and speed.
A boutique product by any name is still a boutique product. Good to know there are 2 owners of this item. :D

T.Dascalos

Not Available
For most, if a camera has the best Image quality among all other FF DSLRs, it is worth having. Now add to this the light body, the traditional ergonomics and the "real" camera looks and you end up with a unique product.

Paratom

A boutique product by any name is still a boutique product. Good to know there are 2 owners of this item. :D
When I watched the 1 hour polishing video I knew I need that camera,:loco:
And then, by mistake, I found out that one can take images with it.

Paratom

Let me, once again, play the devil's advocate in regards to the Df.

What a camera it could have been, but unfortunately, for me , it isn't.:mad:

It has super IQ. The files are just so...delicious. Yes, the manual controls, the backward compatibility with lenses etc.

But I have been unable to use the camera for extended periods of time due to some insane person designing the grip. Not deep enough. Not comfortable at all.

The ergonomics lets this camera down, for me. I get cramps in my curled hand/fingers. And then the inconsistent behavior of the various dials. Oh why couldn't they have maintained some consistency in the design of how all dials operate.

I use exposure compensation a lot. This comp dial cannot be assigned to a function key!! One has to use the left hand, pull up the knob ( or is push a button to release ) and then turn the dial to effect exp. comp. I find this unnecessarily tedious..and keep looking through the viewfinder or remove your eyes to look at the dial to set it. Small thing, but for all day use..it is a huge deal for me.

Nikon made it backward compatible with most of their MF legacy lenses. So why not give it a proper focussing screen? What a bummer and only x0.7 mag. What were they thinking?

There are other bits here and pieces there that are beginning to bother me. They distract me from using the cam as a seamless shooting tool. It makes me tired.

I thought it would bring the joy of my previous film Nikons, but it has failed in this for me. Sad. I so wanted it to work. Will I get rid of it? The jury is still out.

The sensor...yes, the sensor. I shall dearly miss it.

What a camera it could have been..well am I glad I still have my D700.
The grip of the D750 and the A7II feel better, but do you find the grip of the DF really that bad thats its a problem?

rayyan

The grip of the D750 and the A7II feel better, but do you find the grip of the DF really that bad thats its a problem?
Unfortunately, yes.

For most, if a camera has the best Image quality among all other FF DSLRs, it is worth having. Now add to this the light body, the traditional ergonomics and the "real" camera looks and you end up with a unique product.
For me ergonomics play a very big part when I have to use that particular camera for extended lengths of time. It is the sum of all its parts coming together or not.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
For me ergonomics play a very big part when I have to use that particular camera for extended lengths of time. It is the sum of all its parts coming together or not.
But this is personal... some love it, some don't. Some others prefer a Leica m for ergonomics, we can't expect to compare ergonomics of an "M" to a D4 now... can we? It's a matter of customer's approach. The market success of DF shows that many are attracted by its ergonomics. I know many (me being one) that own the DF alongside another "modern" Nikon body (I have a D800E for instance) and prefer DF's ergonomics. It's purely personal and is meant (by design) to be so.

V

Vivek

When I watched the 1 hour polishing video I knew I need that camera,:loco:
And then, by mistake, I found out that one can take images with it.
They did make a statement with that video. :ROTFL:

I could not watch even 30s of it. :cry:

rayyan

Of course it is my personal opinion. I have stated what I don't like about it.
Others are fine with it...great.

All cameras are by design; they don't get to the marketplace out of nowhere.

I use Leica Ms, Nikon, Fuji. I find the sum of their parts make for a pleasant experience for me.

The Df not so, for me. For others it might rightly be good fit.

But this is personal... some love it, some don't. Some others prefer a Leica m for ergonomics, we can't expect to compare ergonomics of an "M" to a D4 now... can we? It's a matter of customer's approach. The market success of DF shows that many are attracted by its ergonomics. I know many (me being one) that own the DF alongside another "modern" Nikon body (I have a D800E for instance) and prefer DF's ergonomics. It's purely personal and is meant (by design) to be so.