The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 200mm f/2 for beauty and fashion?

dennishuang

Well it's probably the best lens Nikon ever made. It's just fabulous and owned it. It's amazing doing fashion and portraits with it. The biggest drawback is size and weight and you have to be really dedicated to the lens to even take it out of the house. Handheld it's tough on a monopod it's a joy as it holds the weight. Here is exactly why most buy it than in the end sell it for the simple reason they are not dedicated to dealing with it after a bit. The hood is a monster too. I never used it myself and I used a Dynalite flash head cover as the lens cap. Yea yellow and ugly but it worked great to protect the front element.

In the end the size and weight got to me and sold it.
Hello Guy,

Thanks for describing your experiences with it. The weight of the lens is something that concerns me but the reputation for its quality keeps drawing me back to the lens.

I am planning on renting it to try it out myself.

I have to see if I am "dedicated" enough to use it regularly.

Regards,

Dennis

dennishuang

Why not consider the lighter/cheaper Nikon 180mm F2.8 AFD? Fashion shooter Benjamin Kanarek uses it on a D800 and has made some very good Vogue covers...then again he was able to do this with a Pentax K-5 and some limited lenses, proving yet again that while gear is good vision is better.
Thanks for the suggestion.

haring

It wouldn't be my first choice. I would only use if I want to achieve the 200mm look. You have to move back a lot if you want to place your subject into the frame from head to tow....

dennishuang

It wouldn't be my first choice. I would only use if I want to achieve the 200mm look. You have to move back a lot if you want to place your subject into the frame from head to tow....
Good points.

I would use it for the "200mm look" for indoor beauty and for outdoor portraits to full length due to the distance I would need.

dennishuang

I asked Benjamin Kanarek in another forum if he had ever considered getting the Nikon 200mm f/2. He said that he has but that he is sticking with the 180mm for now because it is more manageable and the difference in bokeh wide open is very subtle compared to the 200mm.

thedruid

I wouldn't say that Benjamin Kanarek's use of a lens says much about its qualities. He could probably shoot a Vogue cover with a shoebox. Apart from that, the 180/2.8 is a wonderful lens and an absolute bargain :)
It says everything about the quality of the lens, I'm sure they could afford to add a rental as part of the budget.