The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 Impresses

robmac

Just did my first print, B&W from some test shots I took of my reluctant model (a.k.a wife) with the D700 and 70-200VR in a local camera shop. Conversion was done from NEF-DNG with Adobe DNG converter then to TIFF using CS3, so not ideal.

After doing double-take that it was, yes, 1/30s at 70mm, iso 200 and F2.8, did some modest high-pass sharpening, a global contrast tweak, B&W conversion, cropped square to 7x7", some output sharpening and printed via a template I created (caption and text) on Harman FB AL via 3800 and Eric Chan ABW profile.

Impressed - detail was so nice had to tweak the B&W conversion to avoid showing every pore. Very sharp with nice 'transparency', tonality and almost a 3D effect. I know the 70-200 VR is weak in the corners on FF, but as a portrait lens, I was impressed.

Of all the camera/lens combos I've tested and pawed, the D700+70-200VR was one of the few I was actually reluctant to hand back.

Things could get interesting around here over the next year. Just need to figure out to swing and switch AND an upgrade to a Mac Pro (old 2Ghz/2GB iMac is protesting big time). :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you believe everything written about the 70-200VR you'd be convinced that it's gone from being an excellent lens to a pebble overnight. Not true at all.

I took this with mine on Friday. 70mm on D700 handheld:

bradhusick

I briefly enjoyed using the D700 and its impressive low light capabilities, but it became too heavy for me pretty quickly, especially with the lovely VR lens I was using.

robmac

I sometimes find it hilarious the obsession people have with absolute percent center-to-edge performance from lenses - especially those, such as the 70-200 VR that are not designed as an uber-landscape lens.

For the portrait-esque testing I was doing, the 70-200 was surprisingly impressive re: it's resolution, tonality and handling.

etrigan63

I will have something to contribute to this thread hopefully this weekend. I will be scoping out locations for a shoot at the Morikami Japanese Gardens.

Paratom

I sometimes find it hilarious the obsession people have with absolute percent center-to-edge performance from lenses - especially those, such as the 70-200 VR that are not designed as an uber-landscape lens.

For the portrait-esque testing I was doing, the 70-200 was surprisingly impressive re: it's resolution, tonality and handling.
Rob,maybe I had a lemon, but I was never that impressed by my 70-200VR and finally replaced it by primes. I find the 180/2.8 much better in the f2.8-f4 range regarding saturation, contrast and microdetail. Interesting that obviously you have a very different experience from your 70-200.

jonoslack

HI Rob
It depends on what you want - personally I do lots of big skies with slivers of land at the bottom . . . if they're blurry then that really isn't too fab, and with the D3/D700 and the 70-200 they are.

We all have our blind spots (me, I can't see the purpose of fast wide angles, until someone pointed out what they used them for).

Some lenses work whatever you do - for instance, the 70-300 G on the Sony A900 seems to be sharp whatever (of course, it's not as fast as the Nikkor).

robmac

Oh I agree - horses for courses, not to mention artistic intention/desire.

The conversation about the 70-200 VR just reminded me of how hilarious the fixation some testers and shooters have with edge-edge resolution for EVERY lens. Not anyone here per se - more at some other sites I browse by.

Short, fat, wide, long, prime, zoom, you name it - they get their panties in a twist pixel-peeing into the deepest darkest corners or every frame WO - regardless of what the lens in question was obviously intended for (or not).

With the 70-200VR. It was brought to market when Nikon was publicly stomping on the concept or need for FF - strong corners from say 15mm out on the MTF wasn't a strong design citeria at the time ;>

Having owned the old 180/2.8 AiS, I was pleasantly surprised by the VR - for what it was. Now I was also testing on a new (to me) body as well, so there were a lot of variables at play.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I note your mention of the 180/2.8 AIS. I use this with my D3X and it is the lens of choice for detail work. I have some shots taken last week with it and in combination with the D3X it produced outstanding results in terms of both resolution and 3D rendering. It's not so easy to focus without a dedicated MF focus screen (boy, I miss my Katz Eye's from the D2X), but the results were terrific.

As regards 70-200VR sample variation, a friend of mine went through three of these before eventually getting a sharp one as a swap out by Nikon service. Mine has been a workhorse.

etrigan63

Well my D700 arrived today and did a little walkabout at lunch and in the evening. No low light stuff yet but I am very pleased with the way the images clean up in Aperture.

All shots RAW developed in Aperture 2. Either Cv 58mm SL II or Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF-D.

robmac

Give the RD demo a try with the 700 shoots - works exceptionally well. Interested to see your thoughts as you move fwd on the camera.

etrigan63

Yes, this is definitely worth blogging about. Once my Zoom Trifecta arrives (bit by bit) this will make a formidable kit. Add a ZF 25mm for some wide prime love, and life will be very good indeed.

etrigan63

Quite true. The D700 challenges all of the customary definitions. We have to get used to the new reality.

Lars

Here is one of my first keepers from the D700, from Malta this weekend. ISO 6400, so it's a bit noisy, processed in ACR. 50/1.8 AiS on an old Vivitar 2x teleconverter making it a 100/3.5, not the sharpest setup around but it will do in a pinch.

Last edited:

gallery7

"ISO 6400, so it's a bit noisy"

funny... it's amazing that we are now up into 6400 with very satisfactory results. i remember the days of pushing fuji press 800. no that was "noisy"

the d3 and d700 are two of the best cameras i have worked on to date.