The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon 1 J4

raist3d

Just to start a thread on this formally. Eventually I guess this would go to the main and only thread but I would prefer to keep separate for now.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I enjoy these a lot, Ricardo. There's something very film-like about the photos from the 1 series, particularly the b&w ones. I'm very tempted to buy one as a supplement to my other Nikon cameras, but, but.... I have so many cameras...

raist3d

I hear you on so many cameras ;-)

I just re-upload three shots with some enhancements as I see they could use a "bit better" - the guy in the ballerina dress (a bit of a different crop), the old bald man (different crop to remove distracting yellow thingie on left), the "Goth" couple (a bit more sharpening, that shot wasn't quite sport on focus).

Update: will tell you right now, if Pentax/Ricoh had made F1.0 primes for the Q, that's what I would still be using. My Folsom shots from last year on the Q7 were pretty decent too. The F1.2 32mm Nikon 1 prime is a jewel (with the respective high price :) ).

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The F1.2 32mm Nikon 1 prime is a jewel (with the respective high price :) ).

- Ricardo
I'm not impressed. The PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 for m4/3 is twice the price and twice the weight :(
That's obviously on a slightly larger format, and maybe the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would be a more realistic comparison, but only the top lens is the top lens :)

raist3d

I'm not impressed. The PanaLeica 42.5mm f/1.2 for m4/3 is twice the price and twice the weight :(
That's obviously on a slightly larger format, and maybe the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would be a more realistic comparison, but only the top lens is the top lens :)
Oh, I don't mean to say there aren't other lenses that are good on other systems. Must saying the F1.2 32mm is a good lens :)

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Oh, I don't mean to say there aren't other lenses that are good on other systems. Must saying the F1.2 32mm is a good lens :)

- Ricardo
The point for me is that the price difference between these two lenses would go a long way to pay for a V3 with all the "goodies" :)

raist3d

The point for me is that the price difference between these two lenses would go a long way to pay for a V3 with all the "goodies" :)
Gotcha :) I think the V3 is very overpriced. Ironically I find the J4 has a very Zen-like simplicity and now that it's made of metal along with the flash, it does not s*xor to me as the J1 did.

The V3 is nice- just wish it didn't have the dial wheel in the back since it has already enough wheels for the interface.

- Ricardo

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Gotcha :) I think the V3 is very overpriced. Ironically I find the J4 has a very Zen-like simplicity and now that it's made of metal along with the flash, it does not s*xor to me as the J1 did.

The V3 is nice- just wish it didn't have the dial wheel in the back since it has already enough wheels for the interface.

- Ricardo
The V3 is twice as expensive as the J4 here ($1,300 vs. $625), but the price of the V3 includes the grip, the viewfinder and the FT-1 adapter. What would be more tempting for me than the J4 is the AW1, which is less than $200 more expensive.

How is AF-C when recording video on the J4?

raist3d

The V3 is twice as expensive as the J4 here ($1,300 vs. $625), but the price of the V3 includes the grip, the viewfinder and the FT-1 adapter. What would be more tempting for me than the J4 is the AW1, which is less than $200 more expensive.

How is AF-C when recording video on the J4?
It's pretty good, though I have not used it much and it depends on what you want to do. You can AF or tap to focus.

What I do like is that the video records with good sensitivity and no rolling shutter or obvious moire from what I have seen.

Both V3 and J4 behave the same here. I still find the V3 overpriced even with the USA extras they throw in. I also find the grip badly designed because the socket is off-center from the lens and you have to remove it to replace the battery (!).

I think Nikon should at least do a V3 package with the EVF for no more than $800 USD. Maybe drop the J4 to $500 and keep $300 USD between them. As it is, at twice the price, it's a bit hard to take in, particularly with all the cameras you can get in that price range.

- Ricardo