The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on Macro solutions for Nikon

Paul2660

I am looking for a macro lens solution for Nikon. I have read reviews on the various nikkor offerings, but the solution that has caught my attention is the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art lens, with a extension tube set. I realize you loose focus at infinity but for macro work that seems OK.

Just wanted to see what others are using.

Thanks
Paul

D

Deleted member 7792

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF.2, the gold standard.

Joe

ptomsu

Workshop Member
AF Nikkor 2.8/60 - one of the best Macro lenses I have ever used - even on D800E 36MP!

Paul2660

Thanks for the info.

Joe, I love the thought of the 100 Zeiss, but still prefer AF for my macro work, I know I am lazy, but it does save my back. Love the focal length however.

Ptomsu, I like the price on the 60mm Nikkor, what are your thoughts on the bokeh?

I also over stepped in that I just realized there is no Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art, yet, supposed to be coming soon. The review I read was in regards to the Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX lens.

Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No doubt the ZF is a superb option, followed closely by Nikon's latest 105. Also, the 200 macro and older 80-180 macro are verstile for dedicated macro shooters. But my pick is the 85PC-E with the 1.4x extender and/or extension tubes. It gets to nearly 1/2 life size on its own, and having a little tilt available for adjusting PoF can be HUGE in macro shooting.

Hulyss Bowman

No doubt the ZF is a superb option, followed closely by Nikon's latest 105. Also, the 200 macro and older 80-180 macro are verstile for dedicated macro shooters. But my pick is the 85PC-E with the 1.4x extender and/or extension tubes. It gets to nearly 1/2 life size on its own, and having a little tilt available for adjusting PoF can be HUGE in macro shooting.
My take too. 85 PC-E is just awesome for dedicated macro works. With it you can obtain marvellous bokeh because of TS; a no brainer.

D

Deleted member 7792

Thanks Jack

I had not thought about the 85 PC-E. How is the bokeh on that lens.

Paul
Paul, if you're looking for AF, the Nikon 85mm PC-E isn't a candidate. If you want AF, the Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED may be your best choice, as was suggested by Jack. Plus, it has VR.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

...but still prefer AF for my macro work, I know I am lazy, but it does save my back.
85 PC-E is just awesome for dedicated macro works. With it you can obtain marvellous bokeh because of TS; a no brainer.
Paul, the OP, is looking for an AF lens. If manual focus, I still prefer the Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar. The focus throw is outstanding.

Joe

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks for the info.

Joe, I love the thought of the 100 Zeiss, but still prefer AF for my macro work, I know I am lazy, but it does save my back. Love the focal length however.

Ptomsu, I like the price on the 60mm Nikkor, what are your thoughts on the bokeh?

I also over stepped in that I just realized there is no Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art, yet, supposed to be coming soon. The review I read was in regards to the Sigma 85mm 1.4 EX lens.

Paul
Paul,

I am quite satisfied with the bokeh of the 60. Having said that, the 105 surely tops it.

Peter

dogstarnyc

Hi Paul,

Have you tried the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro...? It's killer sharp.

I like the fact that you can get 1:1 close without being on top of your subject.

S

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another consideration with macro is of course what subject matter you intend to shoot. I was always a big fan of the 200 micro for shooting macro in the wild due to the extra subject distance it affords (quite aside preferring it optically over the 105VR) - something that the 60/85mm lenses will suffer from if you're shooting live critters for example.

Just a thought.