The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Otus 85mm, everything is wrong

vjbelle

Well, I toy with it. Matches my style of shooting which is very slow and deliberate and will be a better match for the next generation of sensors.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One thing I saw on Sony rumors was it looks like Sony will have a new gen sensor in the 44mpx range or something like that early next year. Now not sure if that will make it to a A or FE mount but point is it maybe sold to Nikon as well so depending on what brand it comes in we do need to think ahead. I have much more interest myself in the 85 than the 50mm range for sure. I'm not a big fan of 50mm lenses but 85 has a place in my kit. I'm not so turned off by no AF but I do need it for certain jobs. More the point though we do need to think ahead as to what our lenses will be capable of handling in the future . I do think a lot of current lenses will hold up but the one issue with that is we may not get the gaps we need to do that. We know Sony is going to announce a bunch of lenses in the next days and that's great. Not sure Nikon/Canon are or not but they certainly need to think ahead if they jump on these newer sensors next year. Obviously Zeiss is thinking ahead for them but I do see a downfall on Zeisses part they are not making these in either Sonys mounts and that's a huge mistake IMHO. Especially since Sony is making most of the sensors these days and very aggressive on building new bodies. This could be a down fall for Zeiss if they do not build these Otus mounts for Sony. Honestly I would consider it more if it was in my native mounts. As I would like to have this 85 but if its not native and have to use a adapter than I'm not as motivated. I probably speak for a lot of Sony users here on that. I know damn well a A99II is coming next year with a big bad boy sensor. It's going to need glass for it too.

I'm still buying time until after Photokinia but guys like me will flip in any direction if the wind is blowing in the right direction. Bottom line here is lens, mount, sensor diversity the more we have the better our chances of getting a system without compromises .

Yes its a lot of money for a lens but I have paid more for lenses and by the dozen as well. I'm not alone here. I shot Leica and I shot Medium Format tech cam and non tech cam lenses so expensive lenses is not new to me and many others in my boat. But if its not native to me and other sluts like me we are far less motivated to go the adapter route. I m doing it now with a Canon 17mm TSE but there is nothing else like it either, so I'm forced into adapters .

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now going back to everything is wrong comment , I believe its more about the diversity of mounts more than anything. I don't like canon bodies and Nikons are nice but I prefer Sony. I would like to see these 3rd party lens makers jump on all 3 systems as it sucks being behind Nikon/canon releases and Sony folks are sitting here holding there you know what in there hands. Times have changed

D

Deleted member 7792

More the point though we do need to think ahead as to what our lenses will be capable of handling in the future .
+1

Exactly the point in my earlier post in this thread. Zeiss, with the Otus line, is thinking ahead to the next generation of sensors. I like their thinking. :thumbs:

Joe

vjbelle

The next iteration of the A7r will have all of its present shortcomings fixed and will be a perfect match for the Otus lenses..... at least for me. That body will mitigate some of the weight of the 55 and 85 lenses.

Victor

Swissblad

The next iteration of the A7r will have all of its present shortcomings fixed and will be a perfect match for the Otus lenses..... at least for me. That body will mitigate some of the weight of the 55 and 85 lenses.

Victor
Wouldn't a heavier body provide better balance…?

iiiNelson

Yeah I think the Otus line is aimed more at the professional and advanced amateur studio shooter that wants maximum quality on advanced sensors that don't have the money or means to go all the way to MF. A Nikon D810, 55 Otus, 85 Otus, and 135/2 ZF.2 lens kit would an outstanding portrait studio kit right now and you can always upgrade the body for the next 5-10 years and still be good with Zeiss designing the Otus line to be able to theoretically work well with future 100 megapixel sensors.

As for the price, many of us (including myself) have paid this much or more for "normal" focal lengths (35/50) so I don't get the huge deal with price backlash from a "premium" lens designer. I get the cost to return analysis but you always seem to have to pay exponentially more for that last 5-10% of improvement. Unfortunately sometimes you find out that extra improvement was just in software programming versus actual optical excellence...

S

Shelby Lewis

I'm VERY interested in this lens.

(but have no money for it)

:)

sven

Now going back to everything is wrong comment , I believe its more about the diversity of mounts more than anything. I don't like canon bodies and Nikons are nice but I prefer Sony. I would like to see these 3rd party lens makers jump on all 3 systems as it sucks being behind Nikon/canon releases and Sony folks are sitting here holding there you know what in there hands. Times have changed
Absolutely agree. My issue with the Otus line is that it is best suited to very high resolution sensors. The best camera with the high resolution and being usable to nail focus accurately is actually from Sony. (before anyone comments, I have both Nikon and Sony, so I am coming from personal experience). But where is the native Sony mount? Adapted lenses always perform less than native mount lenses. Also a native Sony Otus may be made smaller and weigh less, making it great for real world use, than for brick wall/newspaper/bookshelf photography experts.

Btw the first samples from Otus to be really impressive is from 3Dkraft. Those images are stunning.

Lars

I think that Zeiss blog raises a valid point though: It's certainly possibly to capture the same image quality in a (slightly) smaller format, if technology and optics are up to it. It won't necessarily lead to smaller investments in equipment, but it's possible.

With Zeiss redefining what's possible in terms of small format optics, others will be challenged and follow. This is all good everyone except for perhaps the MF equipment makers, whose niche market is shrinking.

Lars

The Otus does not seem to be in focus, whereas the medium format is in focus, especially the crops showing the eye. Am I missing something?
Yes. (and no).

Assuming both shots were wide open, the Otus seems to have a narrower DOF (85/1.4 = 60.7 mm aperture vs 120/2.5 = 48 mm aperture). focal plane seems to be at the inner corner of the eye in both photos.

If you look at the reflection of the umbrella in the model's eye, and look at the reflection of the eyelashes, you will notice that the Otus actually renders with higher microcontrast.

That doesn't necessarily mean one lens is better than the other, but it does mean that the Otus does compete well WRT resolving power.

Another interpretation is that the MF lens is designed to be a better portrait lens by transitioning from focal plane to front defocus by initial softness (sharp mixed with defocused) whereas the Otus transitions to defocus immediately without exhibiting any hint of softness.

gme2815

I'm waiting for a 25mm wide, or far better still...for me anyway....a 24-70 zoom as good as the Hasselblad 35-90.

Niels_Patrick

I will get my Otus 85 today. There will be an portrait shooting on friday - so I can post some real life pics and impressions with the 810 combo ;-).... can´t wait ;-)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to your review and images Niels! And welcome to GetDPI!