The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WT-5 alternative Wi-Fi solution for Nikon D4?

haring

Is there an useable alterantive for the WT-5 for Nikon D4 cameras? The $700 price tag is to high for me.

I have found a few solutions but either they are not reliable or they require a third party wireless.

Is there cheaper solution so I can control a D4 remotely?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Have you looked at Camranger? I can't recall what I paid but it was a lot less than $700.

I assume you just want to control it vs wireless tethering for the files? Cam ranger will give you remote LV to your phone/iPad too.

haring

Awesome! Is it reliable?
Correct, I don't need the files to be transferred. I just want to control the camera.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Works fine for me. I guess it depends upon how noisy the wifi environment is or the range that you are looking for but when I was close by my D600 or D800 (the only cameras I used it with) it was fine. Performance was great. If you know that you're going to be using it for a while I'd get a second battery.

Udo

For outdoor use there is CamRanger and Sanho HyperDrive iUSBportCAMERA Wireless Transmitter. For indoor use there is a much cheaper solution (appr. 40 USD) by using wall plugged wifi transceivers which feature adhoc networking, repeater functions, etc. Those can easily be programmed and setup for an adhoc network.

Regards, Udo