The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody got (or getting) the D750 yet?

Paul2660

I am going to sell my D800 and move to the 750, keeping my 810. The 750 has come to my local dealer and I played with it yesterday and it seems to be a great camera. Much lighter than the D810, and smaller footprint.

I love the LCD, as I am a big fan of the tilt screen layout.

Paul

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Those I've talked with locally who have used it are all very, very impressed.

Maybe when I have worn out the D700 :)

thedruid

I just picked it up last week, I was a early adopter of D600 and got burned badly with oil spots, so I'll wait and see but I'm hopeful. The grip is one of the best new features its very deep and I find it very comfortable and reassuring. Overall the feel is good, maybe this is what the D610 should of been.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seems to be a really great camera - I am very interested. Maybe one of the last "classic" DSLRs we see ..... (from Nikon).

Swissblad

Niels_Patrick

@ paul 2660:
Just wondering - isn´t it a downgrade? Comming from d800 - moving to d750?
What do you expect to be better? Faster autofokus? (I have also an d800 and d810, so I am quite intersting in keeping the d810 as a main camera and finding a second body / or stay with the d800)

___

www.geisselbrecht.biz

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Seems to be a really great camera - I am very interested. Maybe one of the last "classic" DSLRs we see ..... (from Nikon).
Yup, this seems to be the F100 of Nikon DSLRs. As good as it gets at a reasonable price. The D810 is still better, more advanced etc., but also more expensive, larger and heavier without giving many, if any, advantages that will translate into better images. Just like the F5 before it.

This is an instant classic, and if I didn't already own a D700, I would have been all over it.

John Kraus

Shot my first wedding with the D750 last week along with the D4. So far, a joy to use. I didn't realize how much I didn't really like holding the D4 until I started shooting with the D750. Small, light, unobtrusive! Very nice indeed. That said, once I'm actually in the process of shooting I always forget about size/weight issues.
Focus acquisition is superb. Much better than the D4. Better than the D4s. -3EV means it will pretty much focus wherever you want. The new GRP AF system, also on the D4s and believe D810, so far seems to be working very well. Noise in low light is very good- I see an improvement over the D4, but testing is still going on. In-camera JPEGs look great, RAWs in low-light depend on which processor you're using- ACR seems to be the best so far for noise issues. I'm an Aperture die-hard, but it really doesn't come close to other software in terms of NR. At lower iSO files look gorgeous in Aperture- and I was working with converted DNGs.
Buffer and FPS are lower than D4, and only 1/400th second as highest shutter. None are issues. Until they are. Usually not a problem. Seemed to take longer for images to show on the LCD which was a surprise, though I'm still looking into that.
The big news is the small size/weight/form factor (GREAT grip) along with the much improved focus acquisition. In my opinion at least.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yup, this seems to be the F100 of Nikon DSLRs. As good as it gets at a reasonable price. The D810 is still better, more advanced etc., but also more expensive, larger and heavier without giving many, if any, advantages that will translate into better images. Just like the F5 before it.

This is an instant classic, and if I didn't already own a D700, I would have been all over it.
Today I had the chance to compare the D750 to the D810 at my dealer - they had a Nikon day organized. My findings were:

1) I clearly preferred holding the D810 - had not expected that
2) the D810 OVF is FAR better than the D750 OVF. The OVF has the same HP view than the D4, the D750 has that much smaller and non HP view - a clear disadvantage for me!
3) the D810 is very responsive (much better than the D800E) but still not as responsive as the D750. But for my applications the D810 is fast enough
4) The D750 has an articulating LCD which is preferable to the fixed LCD of the D810 (I am used to articulating screens from my XT1 and EM1)

this made the D810 overall the clear (unexpected) winner for me!

Some other findings from today:

a) I had a look at some of the 1.8 Nikkor lens offerings and I liked them very much. Especially the 1.8/85 is a gem to use and optically much more advanced (less failures) than the 1.4/85 I own. Plus it is lighter and MUCH cheaper :)
b) The 1.8/35 is another winner in my eyes - similar to the 1.8/85
c) 50mm - currently Nikon does not have an equivalent to the Sigma 1.4/50 ART lens - this is a real winner and would make a good combination together with the Nikkor 1.8 lenses
d) The 1.8/20 is another great lens of the 1.8 series
e) I would go with the 4/70-200 in the future if I did not have the 2.8 version. Maybe I will even sell the 2.8 as the 4 is so much more portable
f) Finally I need to add the 80-400 VRII to my kit as my wildlife FF lens. This is clearly preferable to the 2.8/70-200 TC2 combo I used so far

Net, net - the D810 is for me what the D800E should have been. Plus move away from most of the fast Nikkor lenses and go to the much cheaper and in most cases optically better and lighter 1.8 variants.

jlancasterd

e) I would go with the 4/70-200 in the future if I did not have the 2.8 version. Maybe I will even sell the 2.8 as the 4 is so much more portable
I've done exactly this. I had the 2.8 but found I never used it because of its inconvenient size and weight. Sold it and bought the 4 a couple of months ago and the 4 has had more use since then than the 2.8 ever did.