The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody got (or getting) the D750 yet?

Paratom

I've done exactly this. I had the 2.8 but found I never used it because of its inconvenient size and weight. Sold it and bought the 4 a couple of months ago and the 4 has had more use since then than the 2.8 ever did.
I did the same when I switched from Nikon to Canon - got the 70-200/4.IS.
For my purpose the f4 telezoom is the better option because I bring it more often and for outdoor its really fast enough and also allows shallow DOF on FF.

John Kraus

A few more observations on the D750. Color richness is not quite as robust as the D4, to my eye. Noise at high ISO preferable in D750 than D4, particularly in JPEG. In RAW D750 can show a bit more apparent noise, but it's more grain-like and less clumpy than the D4. And the entire image is sharper. Talking high here- testing 10,000-12,800.

One option for dealing with high ISO noise with RAW files is to try out Nikon's NX-D software. Not too elegant but it works, and NR is seriously good.

In terms of IQ, at least until 6400 I still trust the D4 more, it's looking like the files have a bit more juice to them. Though operationally love the D750 shooting hand-held and with primes- so comfortable due to small size, light weight, and really good grip.

I was considering selling the D4 for a 2nd D750, but at this point my own results are telling me to hold onto the D4- each body has the advantage in different situations.

Last edited:

John Kraus

Update, comparing D750 to D4 files:

Testing at 10,000 ISO: D750 high ISO JPEG images look quite a bit better than D4. However D4 high ISO RAWs look better than D750- more chroma but less luminance noise. At least at 10,000.

Swissblad

I just and a look at the tangents blog of Neilvn, where he compares the high iso capabilities of current Nikon FX cameras..... and I have to admit, looking at the raw NEFs, 6400iso looks very impressive.

Steve P.

I used my D750 for the first time at my Niece's wedding at the weekend and I thought I'd post an example of high ISO performance. This was shot at 12,800 ISO with 35mm f1.8 AF-S G attached, 1/60s at f5.6. I processed the NEF on a trial version of DXO Pro-Optics 10 using Prime de-noising, then sharpened a touch in Lightroom.

I found the D750 to focus accurately in low light and the NEF files seem very amenable to P.P. So far, I'm very happy to the extent that I've stopped casting envious glances towards our brothers and sisters over in the Sony A7 series forum! I'm sure it won't last though. It never does. :)