The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Df Gold Edition, kind of cool actually

iiiNelson

This actually looks better than the standard models and is tastefully done. I'd actually buy one of these ifI were in the market for a Nikon.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I admit I like it too -- but it won't make better images than my silver and black one, so I'd have difficulty swapping to it for the dollar loss. But if I ever need a replacement... :D

V

Vivek

... wondering if its images will have that lovely golden shine ... :grin:

:chug:
Yes, most certainly!

If I buy one of these, I will keep taking it out of the box (once in a while), snap an image of it to check before returning it back to the box. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm going to HAVE to put this thread onto my ignore list. Must not continue to eye the beauty of the black/gold edition ...

Darn it!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This post motivated me to pull out my plain ole black Df and shoot some with it. Due to the size of the Sigma 50 ART, the above pic also motivated to pull the "limited edition" 50/1.8g that came with the Df body out of the box and actually shoot with it -- heretofore, I'd just ignored it and left it in the box... How can I convey the "wow" feeling of "newfoundjoy" in some simple, casual photography?

:LOL:

GrahamWelland

That 50/1.8 is a perfect balance on the Df, as are the AIS classics. I also find that the 50/1.8G is ideal on my F6 too :thumbs:

There is still something special about the Df ...

JCT

That's a beaut.

This forum is really dangerous - been having so much fun just shooting with my Nikon again that I am starting to wonder whether a D810 + Df combo (the later as my traveling cam) makes more sense than D810 + my current Fuji XT-1 setup.

Argh.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
JCT,

I know this may sound strange, but while the control layout of the Df body appears totally different than the D810 by looking at the pics, the actual ergos have most main controls fall at essentially the same finger and thumb points they do on the 810 and there really is not much of a usability difference while actually shooting other than weight(!) And I realize that by looking pictures of both bodies anybody will find this an almost unbelievable statement, so hopefully other Df/800/810 owners will chime in with their experiences ;)

GrahamWelland

I typically shoot in manual mode and set the exposure to 1/3 stop setting on the dial. In this configuration I can set exposure via the rear dial, I don't have to bother with the exposure compensation lock, I can also set auto ISO too if I need that flexibility. With G lenses the front dial is a little different but still falls pretty easily under the forefinger. With lenses with aperture rings there's no need to touch that control at all.

You can definitely customize the Df to make it really user friendly and not be encumbered by the control locks if you don't want to. Also using the programmable function buttons on the front in combination with your own custom menu you can make even automation functions easy and simple to perform. I program the front custom button to bring up AIS lens selection in combination with the rear dial which makes swapping older glass simple as well.

As Jack said, it really isn't that different in control layout use than the mainstream bodies and functions you expect on the D800/810 are where you are used to finding them. Best of all, despite parts of the D600 system being present, they set up image review to be identical to the professional D series so that you can program the rear ok center button to zoom on review - that alone was one of the reasons I got rid of my D600!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Graham -- good point on the center command 100% view -- it is one main reason I bought the Df to begin with! (It is precisely why I never bought the 600/610, and if it had been missing that feature, I would not have bought the Df either.)

D&A

Completely agree with Graham and Jack about setting up one touch image review magnification which was lacking on the D600 and 610. I was sure it was intentionally omitted and that when the D610 was released they would have included this function. To my surprise they didn't and I too couldn't develop a quick workflow in concert shooting without it.

Thankfully the Df had it or I would have bypassed that camera too.

Dave (D&A)

JCT

That's an interesting point, Jack - you're correct, I would have assumed they were very different regarding controls. But I have noted from poking around on various forums that the Df/D810 seem to be a popular combo.

I'm sort of a nut regarding "feel" - when I was at B&H last week (and I did buy the 35mm Sigma ART, BTW ;) ) I spent quite a bit of time at the Nikon booth handling the D750 and D810 and it was funny how I immediately melded with the D810 coming from the D700. Felt like an old friend. Didn't fiddle with the Df - argh.

Good to know that the zoom to 100% is there on the Df - my eyes are not getting any better. Since buying a Df would require selling the D700, I guess I will see how I feel about using the Df as a second body. My guess is it would be fine. I am very intrigued re taking Jorgen's path and going back to 100% Nikon , but simplicity is starting to feel like a nice idea. Must be age :rolleyes: .

I'm heading to the Middle East on Sunday, just taking the Fuji XT-1 + 18-55 (and probably the 14) and the RXR1 (goes everywhere with me). I don't know if I am as brave as Jorgen re: selling off my mirrorless kit, but I will see what I think after this trip. Hmmmmm.

JT