The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon with manual lenses

Steve P.

Superb, Luis. That APO 135 is nearly as beautiful as the subject!:)
But man, it's pricey. I don't expect the new Samyang 135 f2 to hold a candle to the Zeiss but I'm still interested to see how it performs. It's not like there's an over abundance of choice in 135mm primes.

Tektrader

@ Jordan

Saw your photo and a hundred memories came back. Not with a manual lens but still.... D800 and 50mm F1.8 Nikkor

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very kewl, Tektrader. You must have been on the other side of the street or something. Here's another one, same city.

D810 with 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This lens surprises me. Even wide open, it's tack sharp and contrasty on the D810.

D810 with 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/1.8

Steve P.

Here's another one; same lens, different camera.

You're Not Coming In!

D600 with Voigtlander 40mm f2 Ultron.

God, I miss that self-lubricating sensor! :D

Steve P.

Finally, here's another from the same day. It's one of those frustrating near misses that could have been good if only I'd been on the ball. I was just about to cross the road when I saw this moment so I guesstimated on the focus distance scale and took the shot. I think you'll agree I really nailed the handbag strap! :eek: I still like the image though, but it's definitely 'One that got away.'

D600 Voigtlander 40mm f2 Ultron.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Steve, if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed the strap being in focus (or the face being OOF). It's still good :)

Another one from Saigon:

D810 with 105mm f/1.8 @ f/2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I did an experiment today:
For a while, I have been considering buying a medium long telephoto lens to use with the D810, something like a 135 or 180mm. Then I remembered that I have a Tamron 1.4x TC somewhere. How about trying that on the 105mm f/1.8?

Unfortunately, I don't have any brick walls, cats or backyards to show, which probably takes away some scientific aspect of this test, but a few Coke capsules used for a local variety of checkers were available, so here we go.

Photos taken at f/1.8-2.0 were usable, but not what I would call sharp. I think "dreamy" is the scientific term. From f/2.8 however (f/2.8 on the lens, f/4 in reality), things changed dramatically. Here's a sample, full frame and 100% crop, hand held at ISO 800, no noise reduction applied:

In more contrasty photos, there's some serious CA in assorted colours, but nothing that ACR couldn't take care of. At the moment, this looks good enough to save me around $500 that another lens would have cost, not to speak about the extra weight :)

rayyan

Thanks a lot steen, retow and ceh. :salute:

from the archives...i stopped using mf due to eyesight. Except the M, occasionally.

zf 100/2