The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Nikon with manual lenses

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went on a cruise a couple of days ago at the Ayeyarwady Delta. A typical inland cruise :cool:

D810 with 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 @ f/8 and 1/80s
Shot standing at the extreme fore with the camera over my head. Who needs a drone anyway...

Last edited:

Godfrey

The D750 saw business use today to capture a HUGE whiteboard with a massive system design prototype layout on it. The space was quite limited and lighting awful, so I used the Nikkor 18/3.5 AI-S, tripod, bubble level, etc to make two exposures that could be composited into a three page wide paper print. It came out very nicely, even small hand-written bits on edges and in corners are readable.

Sorry I can't share the image, but the Nikkor 18mm gets a new level of my respect from this performance.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D810/Zeiss 21mm combo produces some exceptional colours, even on a dull, gray morning.

D810 with Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 @ f/4

Godfrey

Three with the Nikkor 24-50/4 AI-S from yesterday's walk:

Nikon D750 + Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI-S

enjoy!

G

This thread is resonating with me as I really miss the feel of the good manual focus lenses from the past... and the clear/bright viewfinders.

I do have a couple questions though.

First, did/do you find it difficult to get good consistent focus with the manuals on the DSLR viewfinders?

Second, did any of you fit a split image screen to your viewfinders to aid in hitting focus?

Godfrey

This thread is resonating with me as I really miss the feel of the good manual focus lenses from the past... and the clear/bright viewfinders.

I do have a couple questions though.

First, did/do you find it difficult to get good consistent focus with the manuals on the DSLR viewfinders?

Second, did any of you fit a split image screen to your viewfinders to aid in hitting focus?
The D750 standard focusing screen is good enough for me to focus even an 18/3.5 cleanly, and its focus indicator is very accurate too. For absolutely critical focus, the LCD and magnification works very well indeed.

No need for a split image screen.. I put one in the F6 and found I hardly need it even there. The focus indicator is that good!

G

Thanks Godfrey

Exactly what I wanted to know. Have a Nikon 85 1.4G and looking for a 50. Sounds like the Nikon 50s are just adequate so interested in both the 50 1.2 and Sigma Art. Would only choose one. Had read that manual focus lenses weren't that easy to focus on DSLR's. Wanted some input from real users. Thanks

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey

Exactly what I wanted to know. Have a Nikon 85 1.4G and looking for a 50. Sounds like the Nikon 50s are just adequate so interested in both the 50 1.2 and Sigma Art. Would only choose one. Had read that manual focus lenses weren't that easy to focus on DSLR's. Wanted some input from real users. Thanks
I have both the Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S and the 50/1.8G AF-S. The former has lovely bokeh and works a treat. The latter is remarkably good for an inexpensive lens ... Here are four photos made with the 50/1.8G:

It may not be a Summilux, but it's no slouch! and only $190 when I purchased it.

Here's the Nikkor 50/1.2 AI-S, wide open:

A rather different imaging signature and also quite nice, IMO.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I rarely have any focusing problems with the manual lenses, and when I have, I remind myself that AF isn't always a perfect solution either. Often, manual focusing is faster and more reliable.

D810 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/4

D810 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/4

D810 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AiS @ f/2.8

Last edited:

funkysmurf

My first test shots after my new 55mm was delivered at work. It was not a productive Friday afternoon :D

Last edited: