The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Nikon Df

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As an aside, I find myself really caring less about perfection with this camera and older lenses. My photographic OCD is satisfied elsewhere (see dantes pit MF digital) so my Df and AIS are purely for the joy of photography. (Ditto my a7s btw)

GrahamWelland

Thanks for the input, gents.

I tried the 20mm f2.8 Ais on myD700 a couple of times…….

…. and was never quite happy with edge sharpness….

…maybe I should try a similar close-up perspective?

Anyhow, good reason to take it out for a spin again.
Nope - just let it it go and enjoy the shooting and printing experience. We obsess over accuracy and yet our audience typically could care less. We're already well, well beyond the point of good enough. I still have 3mp 20x24in prints on my wall and they are just fine because of what they show vs the pixels.

Btw - love the image and I could not care a damn whether the tree in the corner is uber sharp or not.

Paratom

Not sure how long the DF will help for my GAS.

What I do find is that I enjoy using it and find it quite intuitive to use it.
The DF and 2 or 3 primes is very satisfactory to use for me.
Some dont care for the analog wheels and use it for the sensor only, but in my case I like both aspects.
At the Moment my Sony A7II is collecting dust. Not because the DF is better but because it works so good for me.
But as Jono said, most of the times new tools are great.
I also still had some (few) very nice lenses like the 105DC from earlier times. So its not a totally new system.

rdubois

Y Sol, beautiful image of a beautiful lady!

Having gone through a reorganisation phase (without confessing to "she who must be obeyed") I've replaced my well used D3s and three zoom lenses with the Df plus the 24 and 35mm f1.4G's. Early days yet as I'm finding my way around but the whole package has become pleasantly small and light :) The camera itself also seems much sturdier than some online reviewers had made me believe. Despite the lenses being relatively hefty the balance feels good.

The only slight downer is that I'm finding the viewfinder less bright than that of the D3 (or is it just old age :confused:) and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the X1.2 magnifier on the Df. If so, I'd welcome some opinions.

So far have only tested the 35mm but I'm really very impressed with it and the fantastic colours this sensor produces.

rdubois

Very lovely!

I have this lens from my film days but haven't had a chance to try it yet on the Df but your pictures inspire me to use it soon.

GrahamWelland

Monday 91f in Northern California. A few days later and it's 27f at Crater Lake NP.

Df & 50/1.8 & 20/2.8 AIS

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

105/2.5 AIS is my favorite lens on the Df. It literally is a 'classic'. :thumbs:

Btw don't under estimate the appeal of the 52mm filter. I truly believe that Nikon lost their way at some point in the 80's. We love the fact that almost every AIS lens is a 52mm lens. :facesmack:

Y Sol

YES! 52mm or 72mm for the 1,4/85 Ais and 2,8/180 Ais.
That is one reason I still use these wonderful lenses.

GrahamWelland

There were only two red flowers on the bluffs at Cape Blanco, OR but I eventually found them :)

Df with 20/2.8 AIS, polarizer

Last edited: