The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The pocket sized 300mm

jsf

Yes I can, I was rapidly losing daylight, and was curious what the two f/stops looked like for my own satisfaction. So I will take more time this weekend and do both with a near far subject, at the various f/stops, all at the same 100 ISO. In the preliminary look I see a reasonable Bokeh not at all like the 500mm mirror lens which I did own for a short period of time. I have found that on the old 300mm f/11 is quite sharp, it seems that diffraction at that f/stop is not a problem with that lens even on the d800. But my preference is f/5.6 or f/8 on that lens. I think it has to do with it being a long lens and a true 300mm.

My tripod technique is exactly that, Steen, mirror up and a built in delay of at least two seconds. Plus yesterday I was trying my new tripod, an Induro, that only weighs with the head 4 lbs. As opposed to my Majestic that weighs 13 lbs. So tomorrow a long and fruitful test.

The new lens is not quite 200mm in length. I wish it had a built in hood like my 200mm and 300mm have, rather than the cheap new lens hoods that Nikon is so fond of. I did do a hand held comparison at 6400 ISO and the new lens was superior in low light, no surprise there. But outside handheld at 800 ISO the old lens was equal at a distance. I am always amazed at how sharp the old lens is.

So I will post this weekend.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Between this and the new Sigma 24, I already know I'll soon be out of pocket $3 grand...

Swissblad

It's going to be an expensive year, Jack.... what I'm really concerned about is how to cope if Nikon releases a 600mm f4.0 PF lens that weighs in less than the current 300mm f2.8.....

jsf

Firstly everything was shot on a d800e at 100 ISO. Mirror locked up, 3s built in delay. Securely fastened on a 13 lb Majestic tripod. The two lens are identified as follows. The old 300mm f/4 is the ED IF and the new 300mm f/4 is the PF. I ran through the apertures from f/4 through f/16. I've included just the f/5.6-f/16, All of the images were batch processed in ACR in my presets, then into PS with two sharpening passes, one as an Un-sharp mask and the other was Smart Sharpen. I think that Smart sharpen has an un-sharp mask but I find that it seems to help a bit, in reality for myself I prefer for some of my images to be run a third time in sharpen edges but that is my taste for some things that I shoot. I didn't do that for the test.
First the 100% crops.

Swissblad

Another sample of photos taken with this cute little lens:

Alpinechaff

Snow Finch

There are also some taken with the Nikkor 800mm f5.6......... dream on....;)

And a nice thread on FM

This lens looks good - ideal for when weight / size is an issue!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's going to be an expensive year, Jack.... what I'm really concerned about is how to cope if Nikon releases a 600mm f4.0 PF lens that weighs in less than the current 300mm f2.8.....
It'll be $7,000+ and worth it :ROTFL:

D

Deleted member 7792

This lens looks good - ideal for when weight / size is an issue!
At my age, weight/size is always an issue. :(

"jsf", thanks for the sample images. You've sealed the deal (for me).

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

harmsr

Workshop Member
I can't wait to get one of these. I sold my 70-200, since I was always using it 200 only & wanted both better IQ / longer reach.

This would probably fit my Nikon world travel kit on Jack's other thread. My Nikon kit is a D810 with the 35 Sig ART, 50 Sig ART, Nikon 85/1.4, and then this new lens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's certainly sharp, but shows a weird "busy" Bokeh in some of the images.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yup, it's an issue for sure. I went through this with the Canon 400DO. Small, light, compact, fast and sharp is really great, but I know from past experience I'll end up choosing a heavier, slower (and still sharp) lens that delivers the looks every time...

D

Deleted member 7792

Great! Cancel all your pre-orders. I'll get mine quicker. :ROTFL:

Joe

Swissblad

Rather la di da review on NR......

Seems like a good lens - I just would have liked to see some sample images....