The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 tips

Hulyss Bowman

Hello,

You can call me "dumbo" but yesterday I discovered a VERY useful function in the D700 menu, especially efficient with long, un-stabilized focal from 85mm to up.

In the menu, activate the function "d9".

The results are just impressive, so impressive that I can't trust it myself yet. It give you the possibility to shoot with a 180mm at 1/60 hand-held, maybe below, and give you just tack sharp files, like stabilized or on tripod.

Sorry if everybody already knew it :)

Edit: I'm steady but not that steady. When I look in the VF while focus, everything move quite a bit, trust me.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

What does function "d9" do?
Is it similar to night scene in other cameras that take multiple shots and combine them?

Hulyss Bowman

What does function "d9" do?
Is it similar to night scene in other cameras that take multiple shots and combine them?
It is a simple "mirror up temporisation" :) No multiple shoots. Thing is, when taking the shoot, do not move asap, stay steady till it slap or you will blur the picture. You might think this little gap time will blur the picture but no, it don't.

k-hawinkler

Thanks, so how does "mirror up temporisation" accomplish that?
What mechanism is hidden behind the buzzword? TIA.

PS:

Custom Setting Menu item d9, Exposure Delay Mode
"Choose 'On' to delay shutter release until about one second after the mirror is raised. This reduces the effects of vibration caused by raising the mirror."

Same as d4 Exposure delay mode for D800/E, I suppose.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I usually use it in combination with Self-Timer Mode when shooting on a tripod (of course especially important in low light at low shutter speeds)

• the Self-Timer Mode takes care of the camera shake and tripod shake when I press the shutter button

• and the Exposure Delay Mode takes care of the shake from the mirror slap