The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I AM Advancing

• Thread starter Deleted member 7792
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7792

No official confirmation (yet), but Nikon may be migrating to a paid firmware update model. This post on Nikon Rumors has more detail, but the first reported features are:

The “I Am Advancing” program is starting with support for 6 full-frame Nikon DSLR cameras: Nikon D750, D810, D800, D800E, D610 and D600. All of the cameras in the program will receive a new White Balance update, containing Nikon’s latest algorithms for high-quality color balance in any light. Each camera is also receiving a brand new “Metallic” Picture Control option, providing photographers with a unique high-contrast setting which is both natural and eye-catching.

For photographers using Nikon RAW (NEF) mode, the most exciting new feature is Nikon’s new RAW Histogram. This feature displays impressive full-screen histograms for all 3 color channels (red, green and blue) simultaneously, based on data directly from the image sensor. The new feature allows advanced photographers to fine-tune perfect exposure for each shot. RAW Histogram is available for all cameras in the “I AM Advancing” program.

Finally, Nikon is bringing 2 of the best features of the revolutionary Nikon D810 camera to other cameras in the Nikon DSLR line-up. Nikon’s new “Flat” Picture Control, which allows photographers more options for adjustment in post-processing, is now available for all cameras in the program. In addition, Nikon’s Electronic First-Curtain Shutter feature, which eliminates vibrations caused by the shutter, is newly available for the recently announced Nikon D750 camera.

After Adobe's [financial] success with Creative Cloud, more companies are looking at the software subscription model as a means of generating recurring revenue. Sounds like Nikon is dipping its corporate toe in the water.

Joe

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think this is a good idea if it can increase the lifespan of each camera. Too many perfectly good cameras are left unused because newer models have features that could easily have been implemented by firmware releases of the previous model.

f8orbust

I would hope that firmware updates to fix problems remain free of charge. Beyond that, probably a good thing if it indeed does increase the lifespan of each camera or adds much needed / requested functionality that wouldn't come about without a $ incentive. That said, Fuji seem to be happy rolling out great Firmware updates for free, so there's always the danger this will backfire - and instead of attracting users, it may just drive them away. All depends on what they charge - if it isn’t stupid, I guess there's little reason for it not to succeed.

Being a Phase One and Fuji user I’m at both ends of the spectrum. Fuji are great with firmware updates and added functionality, even to older models. Phase One’s firmware updates are about as exciting as being hit in the face by a passing comet (and come around about just as often).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With Fujifilm you get FREE FW updates for more than 3 year old cameras - this became almost a tradition - plus Fuji is known for frequent updates!

So I wonder why Nikon wants to earn money for something which should be a given :confused:

D

Deleted member 7792

RAW histograms were standard with my Hasselblad, Leica M, etc. since ages ;)
Really? Or were they based on the preview JPEG that each camera produces for the LCD display?

Joe

Steve P.

Is it clear from what is known so far that Nikon DO want to charge for this service? It seems they may limit the eligibility to a three year period after purchase of a qualifying camera, but this might just be in order not to shoot themselves in the foot by allowing unlimited updates when they'd rather people bought the latest model after the three year term for updates has expired. Maybe they're trying to learn from the P.R. fallout from their inept handling of the D600 affair, among others, and attempting to redress the balance after all the well deserved customer criticism that's come Nikon's way in recent times. They could do a lot worse than to look at how Fujifilm handle firmware updates for their customers even if they (Nikon) want to place a three year limit on it. I'm not sure we have sufficient details available yet to be certain if we'll be charged for this service or not. Time will tell.

D

Deleted member 7792

Is it clear from what is known so far that Nikon DO want to charge for this service?
No, it isn't clear, nor does any of the Nikon [still rumored] statement imply a subscription model. That was pure speculation on my part.

Another interesting tidbit is this:
Nikon is also announcing the “I AM Advancing” Update Manager software, available for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. The new software replaces Nikon’s individual firmware upgrade programs with a single new software program, and reinforces Nikon’s commitment to the “I AM Advancing” brand concept. The program is free to download, and features automatic camera detection, firmware download and management of camera updates.​
That's the model used by Sony for the a7/a7R/a7II cameras (and for their earlier models). I'm not a fan, and much prefer being able to download the update to a CF card and install it without intervention by an app. As you said, time will tell.

Joe

Steve P.

Judging from the speedy and decisive way they have reacted to the D750 flare issue it would appear that Nikon may be trying to present a more customer-friendly face to the world. If this is coming from a senior enough level in the company then an official programme of enhancements and upgrades would be something tangible they could point to to demonstrate a greater willingness to respond to customer needs. I'm all for that. Of course, if they want to charge extra for it that's a different ballgame.:)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems to me to be nothing but good. Everybody wants something for nothing these days and given what we've had from Nikon in the past (ie nothing unless a catastrophic bug fix), I think it has to be a positive move.

But hey, I tend to look at the world with the view that a half a glass is half full, not half empty :thumbup:

Godfrey

With Fujifilm you get FREE FW updates for more than 3 year old cameras - this became almost a tradition - plus Fuji is known for frequent updates!

So I wonder why Nikon wants to earn money for something which should be a given :confused:
Um. Software/firmware updates are never "free" ... Their cost is embedded in the price of the camera/computer operating system/application package ... etc. You're paying for them even if you never use them, and whether or not they are made available.

Any company offering free updates has simply assumed their products will need them and apportions a portion of the cost of manufacture to pay for them.

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Um. Software/firmware updates are never "free" ... Their cost is embedded in the price of the camera/computer operating system/application package ... etc. You're paying for them even if you never use them, and whether or not they are made available.

Any company offering free updates has simply assumed their products will need them and apportions a portion of the cost of manufacture to pay for them.

G
Given the already vera attractive prices of Fuji cameras (at least IMHO they are attractive) I rather cannot believe they are calculating too much FW updates in upfront. I rather think they want to gain market share with all possibilities and they just do it ....... they have nothing to loos and can only win :)

trioderob

I think they are a little concerned about how fast Samsung has ramped up and just put out a major software upgrade addressing almost every criticism about their new NX1.

The speed that this update came out along with how customer "in tune " they appeared might be setting a new tone for the major players.

and lets noT forget Sonys 5-AXIS

last thing Nikon needs is to fall behind in 2015

Godfrey

Given the already vera attractive prices of Fuji cameras (at least IMHO they are attractive) I rather cannot believe they are calculating too much FW updates in upfront. I rather think they want to gain market share with all possibilities and they just do it ....... they have nothing to loos and can only win :)
I don't see prices on the Fuji system as being much different from prices on the Olympus system, given comparable body/lens choices. It's mostly a toss up between them.

Fujifilm is a huge outfit, a tiny wing of Fuji Heavy Industries. They can easily afford to cut their profit margin to the bone on the camera division in the thrust for more market share. But the money to pay for development of updates comes from somewhere, and no sensible company takes it for granted. Fuji is a very sensible, successful company. So they've calculated it into their cost of manufacture and taken a slimmer profit.

No matter what, you are paying for the updates one way or another. Be sure of it.

G

johnnygoesdigital

I don't see prices on the Fuji system as being much different from prices on the Olympus system, given comparable body/lens choices. It's mostly a toss up between them.

Fujifilm is a huge outfit, a tiny wing of Fuji Heavy Industries. They can easily afford to cut their profit margin to the bone on the camera division in the thrust for more market share. But the money to pay for development of updates comes from somewhere, and no sensible company takes it for granted. Fuji is a very sensible, successful company. So they've calculated it into their cost of manufacture and taken a slimmer profit.

No matter what, you are paying for the updates one way or another. Be sure of it.

Godfrey that's a nice spin, but regardless, the Fujifilm updates are useful and welcomed for some features such as AF tracking and 1/32,000 shutter. I think Fuji firmware updates are frequent because they actually listen to customers and add features accordingly.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Fujifilm is one of those few camera manufacturers that seem to be fueled by enthusiasm, maybe exactly because they are part of a larger corporation that want to use them as a showcase for whatever. Going through Fujifilm's product catalogue, particularly the Japanese one, always makes me wonder how they can keep all those quirky products in production and still make a profit. I'm not even sure if they do... make a profit, I mean.